View: 438|Reply: 4

Currency in Turkey conundrum

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 00:42:29 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I don't think I've ever had such a confusing time trying to get my head around best practise regarding potential purchases in Turkey.

I've read around various forums and as far as I'm aware, most Turkish outlets are very reluctant to accept Turkish Lira due to how weak it currently is, most prefer Euro's and dollars, even pounds in many cases.  Seems in many cases, payment with their own currency is more expensive than the other options!  Another problem I've read about is trying to get change from any other currency than the Lira, vendors preferring that you buy items to the full value of the note you're using which isn't very practical.

This makes planning very difficult, I'm very reluctant to take wads of bank notes of various currencies for obvious security reasons.  Turkish ATM's will obviously only dispense the the Lira and card machines similar.

I have a Barclays Platinum Cash Back card although it's not really going to help in this situation.

Anyone been?  How did you manage currency??

TIA

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 00:42:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Anyone?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:42:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I've never had a problem using Lira in Turkey. I normally take £ notes and change a bit at a time or depends what I'm buying I may pay in £ notes and get a slightly better rate.

Use magic Report

The only experience I have was a day trip to Marmaris last year, which is unlikely to be typical, but everywhere accepted Lira, Euros GB£ and US$

Use magic Report

Was there last year, dear friends of mine live there, never heard about using Lira...On the contrary I used it all the time.

Currency clubs do seem to be popular which is probably causing some of the confusion. A lot of my friends and their friends keep on telling me to take pounds and exchange it with them. Yet one look on MSE and I can get a better deal by exchanging it here in the UK...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部