Author: Astraeus

Are e-readers still too underdeveloped to be worthwhile?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:18:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Nope, iPad 1. Maybe the iPad 2 would be more practical but it still wouldn't be the Kindle for those points anyway I reckon.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:18:34 Mobile | Show all posts
It is lighter and I think you can hold it in one hand more comfortably. The screen is exactly the same as in the original and looks a big grainy with text in my opinion.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I purchased a Nook colour from the classifieds section here on the forums. I wanted an ereader, but was torn between the Nook colour and the Kindle 3 both had their advantages and disadvantages. The major problem for me with the Nook colour was getting shipped to me from America.

Checked the forums here and found a kindle 3 for sale and a nook colour, so I let fate make my choice and would purchase whichever one was still available, that turned out to be the nook, and I am delighted with it.

It's like a cross between an Ipad and a Kindle. Not as big or as heavy as the ipad, but has more functionality than the kindle. I rooted mine when I got it with cyanogenmod 7 and I have the kindle reader app installed for books. It's great with PDFs and comics, and with all the upgrades made with the modders it is brilliant for watching movies and browsing the internet.

But, back to the main use of this for me, how good is it as an ereader?  I have read a few books on my brothers sony ereader that has the eink screen and that has been easy to read, and at the other end of the scale I have also used an Ipad for a while.  Also I had the same concerns as other people about the lcd screen tiring my eyes etc. Well, I am delighted to say that the nook colour is a joy to read on. I read for about 4 hours last night, not once did my eyes get tired, I just forgot completely that I was reading on an ereader and got totally absorbed in the book.

Ok, what has this got going for it that makes it such a good ereader? Well for start its pretty light, maybe not quite as light as the kindle, but, it's easy to hold in one hand and read. I read mainly at night in bed, it's so much easier to lie on your side and read with this than any book I have ever had. Also since it has a backlight I can read in the dark without upsetting the person sleeping next to me

You can change between different background colours and text colours which make it even easier to read from. Moving from page to page is fast, just a flick of my thumb on the screen and the next page is there. The 7inch IPS display is just a perfect size for reading books

There are disadvantages to the nook colour over here of course. You would have to root it to make full use of it. It's pretty easy to do, but, still a lot of people want something that works right out of the box and this level of tinkering might put them off. Another disadvantage is the fact that it's hard to read the screen in direct sunlight, to some people this might be an issue, but, I rarely read outside so it's a not a problem.  And as I said earlier, it's a little bit heavier than the kindle, which again, might be a problem for some people.

For me the postives out weigh the negatives, It's a fantastic ereader and when your finished reading and want to take a break, you can play some angry birds or maybe read some work documents, or even watch a movie, and to do all these things on the one device, well, it's just so damn nice.

I would have no hestitation recommending one to anyone, and that's just from an ereading point of view. It's way better than the ipad for reading on!!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I can't make up my mind on the Kindle.

Do a lot of reading and have many books, some of which I read or refer to many times and they now look dog-eared and tatty. My collection of Patrick O'Brian books are in a crap state and will have to be replaced after the next reading. Same with my Iain M Banks collection.

The Kindle costs about £110   the cost of downloading the books, assuming the books mentioned above are in a digital form. Against the cost of replacing the books in softback, assuming they are still in print.

Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I was dubious as well Alan, as I enjoy the act of reading a physical book, however I have been converted. I still have a huge backlog of hard copy books to get through, but once I do, I have no qualms about no longer purchasing any in physical form.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
You've been converted? What into?

However, I think I'll get converted too.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Love my kindle, I've always read a lot of books but I tend to read for a month or two then have a break. Now I always have a book on the go, I just find reading more of a pleasure with the Kindle for some reason.
The OH swore she wouldn't give up 'proper' books for an Ebook now she has her own Kindle and loves it.

Noticed there is a spring sale on at Amazon just now, selected books under £1.50.  Apologies if it has been posted before

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
My wife is the same, she's gone from not being too bothered to wanting one for her birthday.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:18:35 Mobile | Show all posts
I hadn't read a book since 2005...I got a Kindle, have been reading every day and got through loads of books.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:18:35 Mobile | Show all posts
I was still undecided as to whether to get one for my wife's birthday.  Today, she found out she won one in a free draw at a meeting she went to in Washington at the beginning of the month

Maybe I'll buy her some books for it instead

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部