123Next
Back New
Author: PerfectBlue97

What will "Current Age" comics be called in the future?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:19:23 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't know what your getting at, but yes I use to get a lot more when they were cheaper Pacific Comics, First, Image and recently had some Doc Savage from Dynamite Entertainment.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:19:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Did they not recently do one where they did a different cover for each of the states. EDIT
Marvel Reveals All 50  U.S.Avengers State Variant Covers

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:19:23 Mobile | Show all posts
In the old days weren't a lot of comic deliberately made very short because the publishers were much more reticent about committing to long stories, and artists were worried that if they made a story that covered several issues it wouldn't be accepted.

I've just gone back over some of the 1980s Transformers comic and in some of them you might get two short stories in a single issue, or a long story that covered two issues.

Compare this to modern stories like Dark Cybertron which covered something like a dozen volumes.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:19:24 Mobile | Show all posts
You can say the same thing about british comics as well - 2000AD, even the Beano and Dandy before they went. Start off at 10p and less, then suddenly they are £2 . I understand inflation, but they went too far.

Marvel and DC could do far better by concentrating on good stories, and not dilluting their own franchise with spin offs in a blatant attempt to earn more cash.

List of current Marvel Comics publications - Wikipedia

There seem to be a couple of Avengers, Captain Marvel, Hulks, Doctor Strange, Wolverine, Spiderman....why not have the stories in one series? Limited are ok, but multiple on going series of the same character? You are forced to buy both to keep up with the completeness of the thing, then add in the spin offs....take Civil War. A fantastic book, 8 issues. The spinoffs total more than a 100, and most of those are just sh*te to tie in to try and promote some other crap.

New comics do have some fantastic art work, but far more of it is rubbish. With all the extra comics being churned off, great artists are in short supply, so you end up with sh*te ones. Stories are too convoluted for their own good, and could do with a little more dialoug and explanation of it all, but sacrifice it instead for a pretty picture.

Apologies for my jaded view, I stopped a long time ago, and read sparringly now, mostly Batman stuff, and thats just as fragmented (Death of the Family) for a start....

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:19:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Welllll. Firstly the prices aren't really rising in line with inflation, they are rising in line with disposable income. So, in real terms, many comics have become cheaper, not more expensive.

I could buy maybe 2-3 comics a month. But the rise in average allowance means that modern children can buy 4-5 a month.

Secondly, a lot of comic are aimed at adults, so they charge more adult prices.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:19:26 Mobile | Show all posts
To be fair, maybe you need to look away from the traditional Marvel\DC comics which are producing for a very wide audience and a very wide age range, and look at some of the independent comics, or comics that only have short runs.

Check out IDW for a treasure trove of smaller\shorter comics with great artists and great stories.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:19:26 Mobile | Show all posts
List of current DC Comics publications - Wikipedia

And Beano in the early 60s that's 3d when there were 240d to the pound so you could buy 80 for a pound. Last was in 2016 at £2.50

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:19:27 Mobile | Show all posts
If that was true your still getting less for your money. look at the old comic and what you can expect in recent ones.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:19:28 Mobile | Show all posts
That's not really fair, you're comparing two extremes. That last page hardly represents your average modern comic book page.

Modern comics probably average 6 frames per page.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:19:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Maybe not but but they never did splash pages and one the ones that do have 6 per page now do have pages without  any dialog. It could be I just picked a bad one at random but the one with the splash page had pages without dialog.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部