Iain M Banks - where to start with Culture series

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:30:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Another brief interview:

BBC Radio 4 - Open Book, Sanjida O'Connell, Dame Beryl Bainbridge and the work of Hans Fallada , Iain M Banks

Also, talking about The Wasp Factory. WARNING - Spoilers. Do not listen if you intend to read The Wasp Factory.

BBC iPlayer - Bookclub: Iain Banks: The Wasp Factory
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Some more. There was an article in The Guardian about Use of Weapons a few months ago. It turns out that it's on their website. Warning again. Spoilers. Do NOT read this before reading Use of Weapons.

Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks | Books | The Guardian

Use*of Weapons by Iain M Banks | Books | The Guardian

They also have this interview which I think is the basis for the week three article above. Warning - spoilers again and some strong language.

Guardian book club: Iain M Banks on Use of Weapons | Books | guardian.co.uk

Use magic Report

Indeed more a waste of 5min, i thought the questions were well naff ..

I have met the man a couple of times, never been for a beer though, but yes he is, & your right he doesn't

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:30:54 Mobile | Show all posts
i just finished it last night. my first ever IB novel.
I'm a pretty slow reader myself, meaning, inconsistent.
i love the whole grandeur of the Galaxy, the names of ships and characters. there is some sort of humor in there but it's also quite bleak and grown up compared to a lot of SF.

considering another one now,he really has no qualms about killing characters off. i though this was going to be a series of books with recurring characters it was all quite downbeat at the end with the pregnant yalson getting wiped out and horza dying. i did find it slow in places, the escape from the GSV took forever, and that build up to the train crash nearly killed me. in a way I'm glad though i was expecting something else, normally the things you remember most are the ones you know nothing about prior to reading/watching.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I began with 'Phlebas' and was thoroughly hooked, but you know I cannot for the life of me remember in which order I read them. (I bought most of my books at a little second-hand store). But as our friend has already said, they stand alone. You won't find yourself puzzling over some reference to some character or event from an earlier work. The books consist of a series of chapters in the history of a civilisation called 'The Culture': Like slices of history. You're introduced to characters and adventures that played some part in that history. Some momentous, some not, but each of them beautifully drawn and imagined. You know, Banks never seemed to write them for the money, if you understand what I'm trying to say? Start with 'Phlebas' and then read them as they come to you. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
'The Wasp Factory' and... was it 'Crow Road'? I disremember, left me more than a little disturbed and even upset. they bear no resemblance to his 'Culture' writings. I have no idea what motivated his writing of that one. It struck me as something written by an old soldier, if that makes sense to anyone?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
'Use of Weapons' is one of the most moving books I've ever come across, it will break your heart.

Use magic Report

It is a most excellent read but my soft-spot is for Excession as for me thats where the Minds really come to life the Use of Weapons is a much more shall we say human experience.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:30:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Probably the Wasp factory. The Crow Road is a fantastic book, and a brilliant TV series as well.

You need to pay attention to the name Ian Banks and Ian M Banks - the M books are his SciFi books, while the ones without the M, all fiction rather than science fiction.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:30:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I think that's why it touched me so deeply. I aspire to the Minds pure joy of intellect, yet constantly found myself mired in the folly of the human condition. in Uganda... after a psychopath called Kony. 'Uncle Josef', I saw things I will never forget.

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部