View: 604|Reply: 19

New to Comics

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:39:05 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Just ordered the Aliens: Colonial marines comic set and was wondering what other sets are worth a look.

I'm mainly into Science fiction, fantasy and horror so would like to cut my teeth on comic sets available of those genre's, but, do not have a clue where to start.

I would prefer more modern comic books that do not have 1000's of comics to collect as I would like to be able to read the whole thing without having to hunt around looking for missing editions (hence wanting to source complete sets)

I would also be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a good online store that sell sets of comics.

thankyou!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:39:06 Mobile | Show all posts
There are quite a few sci-fi , horror comic to pick from,here's a few i like :

Enders Game   loads of others
saga is a new sci-fi series currently upto issue 9
Y the last man might count as sci-fi and is 60 issue collection.

30 Days of Night   others
The New deadwardians is a recent 8 issue horror
Bedlam is a new series about a serial killer bit hard to read but I like the style of it.

Also try any and all of Criminal or Incognito and then Fatale these comics cover a range of styles from film noir to horror to sci-fi and I've liked them all.

Hope that is of some help.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:39:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Firstly, welcome to the Comic/Book Boards!

While some of the SuperHero's do indeed have 1000's of issues about them, there are quite a few stories that can be read as a singular batch without the massive backstory, so please dont rule them out just yet. In your shoes, I would take a day off, kick back in Waterstones and browse through some titles (Civil War, Ultimates, Batman Dark Knight Returns for instance) that may wet your appitite, and sway you in that direction.

However, in the non Superhero books, there are simply hundreds of titles to read. Cebs mentions Y The Last Man, which is just superb, then you have Walking Dead, Preacher, Chew, 2000AD Colections (Strotium Dog, Ace Trucking, Dredd, Rogue Trooper), Sandman, Bone...

Buy one GN a week, and you will have a wonderful collection just on those titles.

Unless you have a huge disposable income, its always better to go GN (Graphic Novel) for any titles that have been out a while (more than 20 issues, and for really popular titles, sometimes getting the first few issues for a series up to 6 is expensive) as for early editions you could end up paying more for a single issue than one GN. In Cebs example above he mentions Saga, and the GN of the first 6? is a tenner, but you would pay £15? more? for issue 1 as a first print for just issue 1 alone.

As for online Comic retailers, I use economic comics:

Economic Comics

But I am lucky that Forbidden Planet, Orbital Comics, MegaCityComics, Gosh are all a tube journey away. I also use various eBay and A Place in Space has cropped up a few times.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:39:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Not quite sure how I forgot to mention walking dead before

This is at issue 106 but plenty of trades/over sized omnibus out there to catch up on.

There is fair bit of older stuff like most of the Vertigo range Sandman, Preacher, Death, Books of Magic etc.

Then there is some stuff that is hard to stick in a catergory but very good,

Chew (60 issues are planned for this , its at 31 at present.
Bone , great family read and for me one of my all-time laugh out loud moments reading it on the bus home.
Cerebus is a 300 issue series but again it is in trades and soon digital issues are coming one at time i think, its a long read but I loved it years ago hence my tag.

Dont disregard mainstream heroes btw, some real good stuff out at the moment and both dc and marvel have had recent re-boots/fresh starts so fairly easy to dip in and see what you might like.

Batman is very at the moment and you can just read the main title by itself.
JLA is good and soon Synder is launching Man of Steel before the film hits and I've got a good feeling about that.

For stand alone dc try Earth 1 Superman (2 books) and earth 1 batman, I enjoyed all of these and nice artwork in both. Or give Allstar Superman or Allstar Batman a go, frank miller might finish Allstar batman one day but I'm not holding my breath.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:39:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Some good pointers. Thanks! I let you know how I get on

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:39:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Just received Saga vol 1 so will give that a read this weekend

bought the first 4 volumes of the Walking dead too.

I do like the character Thor. Is there a modern day series I could start from the beginning?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:39:10 Mobile | Show all posts
marvel now has just started , so that would be a good jump on point

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:39:11 Mobile | Show all posts
None of thors recent runs have been that long either, I really enjoyed the jms one, starts at issue 1 and then thr renumbering comes in for 600/13(ish) but I think its about 20odd issues altogether and then the series before last starts and Loki gets Journey into Mystery which is a great read again about 20odd issue run.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:39:12 Mobile | Show all posts
The postie just left

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:39:13 Mobile | Show all posts
That's what I like to see - someone new to comics, dipping their toe in, buying a single graphic novel, while instead you have said **** that and dived in with £60  worth instead

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部