Author: Iccz

The New 52

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:41:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I'll write up tonight, perhaps the reasons for and against each one - depends how long it takes me if I get into a full on rant then just a few comics might take me most of the evening

I'll try keep it short and sweet and cover everything, could start an interesting discussion plus offer a few people's views on different writers, artists etc.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:41:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Me and My Mate:

2 of Batman (DCNU) #1 #1  
2 of Batman and Robin (DCNU) #1 #1  
2 of Batman The Dark Knight (DCNU) #1 #1  
2 of Detective Comics (DCNU) #1 #1  
2 of Justice League (DCNU) #2 #2  
2 of Justice League Dark (DCNU) #1 #1  

Me:

1 of Rachel Rising #2 #2  
1 of Daredevil (New 2011 Series) #3 #3

Mate:

1 of Superman (DCNU) #1 #1  
1 of Wonder Woman (DCNU)
1 of Action Comics (DCNU) #1 #1

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:41:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Will use this as a template for my order, and I'll try keep it short!

Justice League #1

Writer: Geoff Johns
Artwork: Jim Lee & Scott Williams

Well, as soon as I saw Johns and Lee on this I knew it was a must have, I mean Justice League should have been the must read comic for DC, but over the last few years that really hasn't been the case... it has been a let down.
If you're unfamiliar with Geoff Johns he goes for a slow build on his stories and never really disappoints. Although some may argue my love for The Flash may also lead to favouritism here, I must point out that Johns is probably the most popular of DC writers, not just with Flash fanboys

Anyway, this is a must have for anyone who's looking to get in to the new 52.

Action Comics #1

Writer: Grant Morrison
Artwork: Rags Morales

Well, I saw the writer and that was it, DC please take my money now. For those unfamiliar with him, he brought us All-Star Superman - I don't want to talk too much about this, but it's the best superman story ever
This takes us back to old-school Supes so for me it's certainly worth getting just for that.

Animal Man #1

Writer: Jeff Lemire
Artwork: Travel Foreman & Dan Green

Animal Man brings us back to Grant Morrison who really brought Animal Man to life, and I don't expect this to match up to that revival, but as a fan of horror and superheroes I can't not try this out to see how it goes. Not much else to say here.

Batgirl #1

Writer: Gail Simone
Artwork: Ardian Syaf & Vicente Cifuentes

I don't want to get started on The Killing Joke here and I wont post spoilers, but that's the main focus for many communities on this release, sadly.
So avoiding that topic I turn my attention to Gail who is an excellent writer and feel she will do a good job on this. It is interesting how we have Batgirl and Batwoman at the same time though.
For me this is a buy, but one of the potential drops in after #1.

Batwing #1

Writer: Judd Winick
Artwork: Ben Oliver

Where to start... I'm not a fan of Batwing, and I'm not a fan of Judd Winick either (except perhaps under the hood - I still think the art played a huge part here)... so my avoid on this is probably biased on both parts. But anyway, I checked the previews and for me it's just not something that would stand out as a must have.

Detective Comics #1

Writer: Tony Daniels
Artwork: Tony Daniels

Again, I'm not sure on this - Daniels has never really caught my attention and I don't imagine it's about to change, however I will say the artwork looks a lot better than I was expecting from him. Not a story related spoiler but some may not want to read the next bit:
That being the only thing tempting me in to it.

Green Arrow #1

Writer: J.T. Krul
Artwork: Dan Jurgens & George Perez

Green Arrow... J.T. Krul...
Avoid.

It's a shame Krul is writing this as I like Jurgens and Perez (as per my other post), but I will never forgive Krul for what he did to the Justice League.

Hawk And Dove #1

Writer: Sterling Gates
Artwork: Rob Liefield

Not for me. One reason. Liefield. I think he's an awful artist and that's all there is to it on this. If you want to see what I mean google Liefield Worst Drawings and take a look for yourself.

Justice League International #1

Writer: Dan Jurgens
Artwork: Aaron Lopresti & Matt Ryan

Part of me wants to get this as the original JLI is so good. But as none of the original creators have anything to do with this I'm put off it. Jurgens is another, who for me should stick to art, but I just don't think he's a good enough writer for this. I don't think it's going to suck, not at all, I just don't think it'll live up to expectations of those who know JLI.

Men Of War #1

Writer: Ivan Brandon
Artwork: Tom Derenick

I don't have any opinion on this, I get the feeling it's just trying to cash in on certain first person shooters popularity. I've seen a lot of people bringing this point up as well. It could work though.

Omac #1

Writer: Dan DiDio & Keith Giffen
Artwork: Keith Giffen & Scott Koblish

DiDio... well... the artwork looks good!
That's all I have to say on that.

Static Shock #1

Writer: John Ruzum & Scott McDaniel
Artwork: Scott McDaniel

I'm looking forward to this one, there aren't too many modern heroes that have been successful, so I'm interested to see what Ruzum has to offer here.

Stormwatch #1

Writer: Paul Cornell
Artwork: Miguel Sepulveda

I'd always get this on the strength of Cornell's writing, I wasn't expecting much in terms of art but I've been surprised by the previews I've seen and think this could actually be a lot better than many are saying it will be.

Swamp Thing #1

Writer: Scott Snyder
Artwork: Yanick Paquette & Francesco Francavilla

One of the most nailed on buys for me. Snyder is a great writer, Paquette's art is wonderful. And do I even need to say how awesome Swamp Thing is?
I heard they will be bringing on Francesco Francavilla to help keep it going as Paquette is notoriously slow and they obviously don't want this getting dropped due to Paq not being able to keep up.

Batman And Robin #1

Writer: Peter Tomasi
Artwork: Patrick Gleason & Mick Gray

Purely on the storyline of this, it's a must have for any Batman fan. We need to put Tomasi and Gleason's last Batman and Robin behind us and get this one for the story if nothing else

Batwoman #1

Writer:  J.H. Williams & W. Haden Blackman
Artwork: J.H. Williams

J.H. Williams on artwork - I'm sold.
Great character and what should be beautiful artwork. Do you even need to worry about the story? Possibly, but I'm not!

Deathstroke #1

Writer: Kyle Higgins
Artwork: Joe Bennett & Art Thibert

I like violence and good art in my comics, so I want this, bad. That said I've heard a lot of people slating it - so it's probably not one for everyone, unless you're easily sold with pretty pictures of over the top violence, like me!

Demon Knights #1

Writer: Paul Cornell
Artwork: Diogenes Neves & Oclair Albert

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Paul Cornell. Gotta have it.

Frankenstein Agent Of Shade #1

Writer: Jeff Lemire
Artwork: Alberto Ponticelli

I don't think you could have a better choice for writer on this title, Lemire is a strange writer and that's just what is needed to make this work. I don't think it's going to be amazing, but it's definitely worth a read.

Green Lantern #1

Artwork: Doug Mahnke & Christian Alamy

Green Lanter, Geoff Johns - It's a buy for me as I think it's going to pick back up and could be great. Good art and what looks like will be a good story.

Grifter #1

Writer: Nathan Edmondson
Artwork: Cafu

First off, have you seen how awesome the cover is for this? How can you not want it already?!
I love Grifter, but i know very little about the writer or artist here, so maybe someone else can do better than me on this, but I'm all over this one for sure.

Legion Lost #1

Writer: Fabien Nicieza
Artist: Pete Woods

This ended up on my list to buy because I like Nicieza, usually writing for Marvel he does a good job, and I think he did great for DC on Red Robin too, but they never gave him anything else until now, so maybe we could see him writing more for DC after this? I'd like to think so.

Mister Terrific #1

Writer: Eric Wallace
Artwork: Gianluca Gugliotta

I don't like Mister Terrific, I don't like Eric Wallace and I don't like Gianluca Gugliotta. So I think you can guess where I stand on this

Red Lanterns #1

Writer: Peter Milligan
Artwork: Ed Benes

I think Milligan is a great writer, but I'm not a fan of Ed Benes, and I have never really be sold on Red Lanterns, so I'll probably give this a miss. I'll be waiting to see what people say about the story, as I get the feeling Milligan could have what it takes to convert me. We'll see.

Resurrection Man #1

Writer: Dan Abnett​ & Andy Lanning
Artwork: Fernando Dagnino

Purely on the strength of Abnett and Lanning I am looking forward to reading this, I'll be honest and say I've let Res-Man pass me by so I can't say anything much about the story.

Suicide Squad #1

Writer: Adam Glass
Artwork: Marco Rudy

I don't care how many people are mad excited about this, I'm going to avoid it. I'm in the camp of people who don't need anything more than the cover art to make a decision to avoid this.

Superboy #1

Writer: Scott Lobdell
Artwork: RB Silva & Rob Lean

I've not seen anyone get excited about this and I feel exactly the same. While I don't think it's going to be bad, I just can't see it being good.

Batman #1

Writer: Scott Snyder
Artwork: Greg Capullo & Jonathon Glapion

We all know Theydon has a little bat-crush and Batman so it was a given he'd be getting this. And rightfully so! I can't see any reason not to. I'd even go as far to say that this is one of the most exciting looking titles of the 52. As I've said before, Snyder is just great and I can't see this being bad.

Birds Of Prey #1

Writer: Duane Swierczynski
Artwork: Jesus Saiz

Duane is a good writer, but without Gail on this I just don't have any interest, that and another certain loss. Just takes everything away from it for me, I wont even be checking out the reviews to this.

Sorry there's more to come...I've heard the cliffhanger is an absolute epic

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Have now just added Batman and Robin to my order too

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
and I thought that Greg Land was bad.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
And the rest:

Blue Beetle #1

Writer: Tony Bedard
Artwork: Ig Guara & Ruy Jose

Meh... Blue Beetle was never bad, but it was never good, and it never took off, I can see this being the same. That said, I am hoping to be proven wrong here.

Captain Atom #1
Writer: J.T. Krul
Artwork: Freddie Williams II

J.T. K- oh do I even need to do this again?
It's a No.

Catwoman #1
Writer: Judd Winick
Artwork: Guillem March

Catwoman looks hot. That's all it's going to be isn't it? Let's make Catwoman sexy - people will buy it. At least, that's how it looks to me...

Dc Universe Presents #1
Writer: Paul Jenkins
Artwork: Bernard Cheng

I don't have too much interest here, despite both Jenkins and Cheng being fairly good at what they do. This may be one I take up after reading reviews. Not sure.

Green Lantern Corps #1
Writer: Peter Tomasi
Artwork: Fernando Pasarin & Scott Hanna

I like Tomasi, I liked his previous GL work so it goes without saying this is a thumbs up from me

Legion Of Super Heroes #1
Writer: Paul Levitz
Artwork: Francis Portela

Never been big on Legion so I can't see this being for me. I've seen a lot of people getting very excited about this though, so I guess it's a case of wait for reviews then reconsider.

Nightwing #1
Writer: Kyle Higgins
Artwork: Eddy Barrows & JP Mayer

I want to get this more for the artwork than anything else. I haven't seen a lot by Higgins but what I have seen was fairly solid, although he was co writing with the likes of Snyder so was he just being carried? I don't know.
The story sounds like it could be good, so I will definitely give #1 a shot, but I don't expect to see it go further than that for me.

Red Hood And The Outlaws #1
Artwork: Kenneth Rocafort

Solid a no for me, and that's purely based on the Red Hood as a character.

Supergirl #1
Writer: Michael Green & Mike Johnson
Artwork: Mahmud Asrar

I don't like Supergirl and I don't want to spend money on her comics. It's as simple as that. I'm unfamiliar with the writers, so I have little to go on other than my dislike of Supergirl.

Wonder Woman #1
Writer: Brian Azzarello
Artwork: Cliff Chiang

I love Azzarello, 100 Bullets which is well respected by a lot of posters here, and others works of his carry a lot of strength. The artwork is strange, but it could work. I'm quite interested in seeing how this one goes, #1 is a definite for me but it could stop there.

All Star Western #1
Writer: Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti​
Artwork: Moritat

What? No superheroes?
NEXT!

Aquaman #1
Artwork: Ivan Reis

It's good to see they're keeping Mr Johns busy, plus they've given him aquaman - and despite the fact many like to mock him (I'm guilty of this sometimes), I think this could be amazing, as they're using the hilarity of Aquaman as a strength for writing. I can see this being a real entertaining read if nothing else.

Batman The Dark Knight #1
Writer: David Finch
Artwork: David Finch & Richard Friend

I wouldn't have gone for this had I not read that Paul Jenkins had a huge contribution to the story despite the lack of credit for it. I like Finch as an artist so I'm curious if nothing else.

Blackhawks #1
Writer: Mike Costa
Artwork: Ken Lashley

Okay writer, Okay artist... I'm avoiding this because I just see nothing to draw me to it.

Flash #1
Writer: Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato
Artwork: Francis Manapul

Okay, Okay, I'm a Flash fanboy, we all know this
But Manapul was on Johns' run of The Flash and it really worked, I assume that's going to carry on. I can't comment on the writers though, I have no idea what's going to happen here, but I'll be interested to see what happens. It was a nailed on buy for me regardless of the writer as soon as I saw the artwork was going to be done by Francis.

Fury Of Firestorm #1
Writer: Ethan Van Sciver & Gail Simone
Artwork: Yildiray Cinar

The art work will be different, I think it could be hit or miss, and most importantly - will it be on time? I mean I quite liked his work on Flash:Rebirth, but it was continuously late - I wonder if they're planning for that here?
Gail is the only reason I wouldn't totally rule this out, but I'm probably going to avoid it.

Green Lantern New Guardians #1
Writer: Tony Bedard
Artwork: Tyler Kirkham & Batt

Not a lot to say here but Bedard on GLC just didn't excite me.  So it's the same here. Sorry.

I Vampire #1
Writer: Joshua Hale
Artwork: Andrea Sorrentino

I know next to nothing about both writer and artist so it's hard to comment. Maybe they'll be good? I'm waiting to see on this one (heard that before haven't you?)

Justice League Dark #1
Writer: Peter Milligan
Artwork: Mikel Janin

This is a must have, there is a lot of excitement about this title and I would say rightfully so. I'm excited about this, whatever you want to call it, it's going to be good. I'd put money on it.

Savage Hawkman #1
Writer: Tony Daniel
Artwork: Philip Tan

Not a fan of Tan at all. Hawkman isn't overly great and Daniel writing it just doesn't seem like it will help at all. When picking out specific titles there are others that sound and look better so it's not making the cut for me.

Superman #1
Writer: George Perez
Artwork: Jesus Merino

I kinda covered this in my other post, I'm concerned about Perez here, give him a pencil and I'll take it.

Teen Titans #1
Artwork: Bret Booth & Norm Rapbund

Probably fun enough but it just doesn't look like it's for me, plus having seen the bombarding it's getting all over the internet I can't really see it proving me wrong for not wanting it.

Voodoo #1
Writer: Ron Marz
Artwork: Sami Basri

Lovely art, I really do like how it's looking. The problem I find is, Voodoo doesn't excite me in any way and as a character - another one I'm on the fence for.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Greg Land is an idiot but at least he can draw
Maybe not his own ideas but still...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:41:02 Mobile | Show all posts
True, I bet Greg Land could draw you anything that you wanted...So long as you gave him a photo of it and a sheet of tracing paper

Use magic Report

So what are grifter, death stroke and demon knight about.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Grifter is pure, liquid awesome.

Basically he's a "wetworks" operative who was the only man to ever be trained by a secret cabal of female assassins, called the Coda. He also has low level psi abilities but rarely uses them. He fights demonites, creatures who have taken human form and are trying to take over the world.

(That sounds more or less right, I may have missed something or not quite explained it right - it's been a while since my WildC.A.T.S comics have seen the light of day!)

Edit: While I'm here, Iccz, that worst Rob Liefield thing is spot on. I used to think he'd never actually seen a real woman, so was glad to find I wasn't the only one who thought so - plus, they allude to the fact that he can't draw hands or wrists, at all... The thing about Bloodwulf/Lobo was hilarious though - as a massive Lobo fan, I see what he did as nothing more than a cheap rip-off...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部