123Next
Back New
Author: Solomon Grundy

AVF BC Review: Rivers Of London by Ben Aaronovitch

[Copy link]
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:46:47 Mobile | Show all posts
I think you make a fair point.  If you read this book and it is outside of what you normally purchase it will probably offer more of a reward.  However if "supernatural meets everyday" is your favourit genre it won't offer an awful lot.  I am currently ploughing through New York, one of the other titles on the list I selected, and whilst it started off being interesting I am 50% of the way through and it is a little tiresome.  Another genre (historical fiction) that I don't get involved with but at 1000  pages it's a slog!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:46:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the 'heads up' on this book I have just started it, and am enjoying it, not my usual type of book. I'll look out for the next book, hopefully on the kindle as well.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:46:47 Mobile | Show all posts
The second book is on the Kindle and is better than the first book.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I am liking this so far, I have only read the first couple of chapters, due in part to me having bad eyes/poor vision at the moment, it is only recently I have got back into reading, mainly biographies, I do find this easy to read which for me is a good thing as I'm looking to ease my way back in to reading again. All in all I like what I have read so far.

Curly

Use magic Report

Just reading this now, and carefully avioded reading anything above me.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:46:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Well I finished the book quite quickly, and really enjoyed it. Being up in Covent Garden quite often, all the places were very familiar, and I did enjoy the style of writing, and the pace. Once or twice I got a little confused with who was who, and I expect that was always going to be the case as people were being used as puppets so the killers all ended up dead more or less anyway.

The whole 'rivers' bit seemed to be a side thing really, but did elongate the plot, but I did not catch why the sister did what she did to slow things down - just out of spite against Nightingale for something he did a while back?

As for the magic side of it, I thought it was handled in the way it was, simply becasue something had happened in the past so that all the top brass were aware of it - didnt like it, but knew it was in use, hence the seperate task force to deal with it.

All good fun, and I will be grabbing the next one soon.

Use magic Report

I have finally picked this up again and am really enjoying it. Wondering why I stopped reading it now.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:46:48 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm waiting for the 3rd book at the moment.  Moon Over Soho picks up from where Rivers left off and is a really good story!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Thanks for the heads up on the third book in this series "Whispers Under Ground", hopefully out on the Kindle soon.

Use magic Report

The third book is out now, and he was in FP June 21st doing a signing. I knew about it, but was away that weekend - I could have sworn I posted something here about it!

Anyway, I picked up a signed copy from FP the other day, there were a few left at £11.99

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部