This one looks really good
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:50:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Best bit of non fiction I have read recently is the innocent man by John Grisham epic tail of the injustice of the legal system

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:50:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I've just finished  re reading ''Perfume''
I have always liked the books of George V. Higgins, his ''Kennedy'' books about a lawyer mixed in with local politics may be what the OP needs. his novel Trust is very good as well, about how you can trust a politician to stab you in the back just as much as you can trust a criminal brother-in-law to screw things up.
Best quote ever from a guy talking about his deadbeat son-in-law
''He is so stupid that he could hold a conversation with a rock and they would both get something out of the experience''
Far better than John Grisham <------- sorry did not see your post above
Higgins talent lies in his dialogue, just like Elmore Leonard, his ''Friends of Eddie Coyle'' was hardly changed when it begame a film script

Use magic Report

Just about to start Master and Commander......followed by Bleak House.

Im a member of the Folio Society,really love the quality of their books.

Use magic Report

You might be interested in the "Bodyline series" as told by a certain Mr Jardine.   Harold Larwood probably faster than Lillie

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:50:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi,

I've just started Stephen King's "IT", even though I'm not the biggest fan of his, but I was desperate to have something reasonably entertaining, and long, to get stuck into for the next month or so.

Legal/thriller wise, you could try "Leadbelly" by Andrew Rule and John Silvester. It's the true-story about the Melbourne Gangland Killings, upon which the TV series "Underbelly" is based upon. It's £7-99 in paperback, and is next on my reading list.

If you want something off-beat, you can always go for "I Am A Cat" by Japanese author Soseki Natsume. It's the story of a man's life with his friends, but as seen through the eyes of the man's cat - from the cat's birth at kittenhood, to it's death. The ending is a little upsetting if you love cats, but it's an unusual read. Can be bought from most larger branches of Waterstones, but it's quite pricey, because it's a US import. So expect to pay about £14-99 for it!

Pooch

Use magic Report

I have just finished Philip Roth's Patrimony, a true story.  It is an autobiographical account of his relationship with his aging father,  An excellent read, very highly recommended.

Use magic Report

I'm struggling through 'Skin Privilage' by Karin Slaughter. She has talent, but it's hard work for some reason. Not helped by having two similar characters with similar names.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
that sounds an interesting read. i've long thought of connections between music and the brain since i was a kid and before i found out about people experimenting with how audio tones affect the brain etc.  i think one day someone may be able to create a device that can almost read your mind and create some form of music and perhaps visuals to feed back and change or heighten your mood.  it might sound crazy now, but a number of things that are common place now regarding music didn't exist when i thought of the possibilities as a child

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
it's funny as only at the weekend at a party someone was telling me about that book, which was unusual as it wasn't exactly the type of party that people would be discussing books at.  the spike lee directed movie is great, and phillip seymore hoffman is also in it, as is rosario dawson.  the club scene sounds fantastic pumped loud in 5.1 with the scratching moving between speakers.  american history x is another essential ed norton movie if you haven't seen it, but i imagine you have.  primal fear is one that you might not have seen, which is really good, perhaps one of his best works

i usually prefer to watch the dvd in 2 hours rather than spend 2 weeks reading the book.  i can't wait for the yellow pages to be turned into a movie

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部