I look forward to the thread this time next year
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:53:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Just finished this today and can also recommend it. I enjoyed the story as well as the characters and the humour of it at times.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:53:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Just a quick bump, I have not finished this yet - I got 8 as a chrimble pressie, but I liked them so much that I have sold my GNs to a mate at work so I can buy the hardback versions:

Y The Last Man: Volume 1 (Deluxe Hardcover Edition) @ Forbidden Planet

Vol 5 of this (GN 9 and 10) is out in April.....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:53:22 Mobile | Show all posts
It'd probably have to include Top 10, right?

My top 10 runs for people starting out - in the order that they should be read - is:

Invincible Iron Man 1-28 (Matt Fraction's run, start them off with the first movie so they know who Stark is)
Y - The Last Man 1-60 or Ex Machina 1-50
The Sandman 1-75
The Ballad of Halo Jones
Strangers in Paradise (complete)
The Unwritten 1- (ongoing)
Alias 1-29
Top 10 volume 1
Supreme Power (MAX run only)
Cerebus volumes 1 and 2

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:53:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Been a busy boy and completely forgot about these......plus, whenever I do remember when I am in FP, they never had the 1st book.

Until this weekend. Book 1 bought again (hardback) so I may get to read them all by Christmas (and no, I still have not read them all, I wanted to save myself and read them from the beginning until I buy book 5.)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:53:24 Mobile | Show all posts
I bet if this is read in one hit it will be great. I never read Walking Dead till issue 40 and did the lot up till then in one night and that was fun be good to be able to do it with this.

I have the original run and loved it from the start but i remember correctly there were some big delays towards the end.  Like the walking dead this would make a great tv if they cast it correctly.

I might get the oversized some time, are first prints still available.

Also i've not read ,bar issue 1, of Deux Ex Machina but it gets rave reviews and is also now completely available in oversized editions, it on my list for a buy at some point.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:53:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Y: The Last Man is my favourite GN (or, more accurately, series of GNs) ever.  Bar none.  I'm no comic book fanatic, but I personally think it's better than Watchmen, Sandman - indeed, any of the big 'obvious' top ten choices.

It's perhaps not cleverer than Moore (although Y: The Last Man is laden with references and research; it's not stupid in the slightest), but more than anything, it's the story.  It's a good old-fashioned yarn, in the best kind of way.  All I can implore anyone to do is read it all the way to the end.  You HAVE to finish it to really 'get' it, I think.

It's the best thing I've read this year - and I include 'standard' novels in this, of which I've read a stack.  I don't think I've read a bad book this year, in fact, and yet this still stands head and shoulders above anything else.  I could evangelise endlessly about this, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone.  It stayed with me days after I finished it.

Things to note: I'm a sucker for a decent post-apocalyptic story, it's true.  I also like 'escapist' fiction.  This ticks both boxes.  But even so.

Just go and read it.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部