12345678910Next
Back New
Author: Theydon Bois

DC 52 Event #1's Discussion [SPOILERS!]

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 04:53:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Just finished "Action comics" and "Detective comics".

Detective comics was the best so far. Nice and dark with great art. Batman reminded me of year one a bit which is the type of batman I like. not quite sure what happened at the end. Did joker just get some guy to cut his face off? There really is no going back from that.

Action comics was good too the writing seemed a bit confusing. It seemed to jump around a bit. I liked the more aggressive superman as I've never really liked the holyer than perfect superman. But I really hated the blue jeans and childishness.

Jl was a nice start. Not much really happened here story wise but it seems to be interesting. Though gl was a bit too much of a tool and maybe batman too super! Hope he gets his ass kick by superman in #2.

Think I'll put the comics in rank order each week.

Detective comics
Action comics
Justice league
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:53:57 Mobile | Show all posts
I AM HAWK, and she is Dove, and together, we are HAWK and Dove!

I have been far too selective in my recent non comic buying years, and so sneaking into Forbidden Planet and flicking through comics to find this dross made me want to rip it up and vomit all over the floor.

Plus, were is all the fantastic art in this initial run of 14? Good ones are Detective, Justice League......and Static reminded me a little of John Romata Jr, but Animal Man, Swamp thing, Action (my mate quite rightly pointed out that Lex looks like Mr Potato Head), Hawk & Dove (Liefield alwasy does shouty expressions doesnt he?), Man of War are all just not right in my shallow eyes. Batwing? was interesting, kind of computer generated? I thats certainly higher than the others I listed anyway.

I am out of the loop, so dont know all the modern artists, and my taste is eclectic Tim Sale, Romata, Jim Lee, Sinkivitch.....and sometimes a really good story can be ruined by a terrible artist. I have a sinking feeling that Jim Lee wont stay on JL for long, probably an inital 6 issues then moving on to help sell another new starter, probably a x.1 from Marvel.

/rant over.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:53:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you!

The image I had in my head of the shop staff faces whilst you raged against a comic was priceless.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:53:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Animal Man: Strange but good, wasn't sure that I'd like the whole taking on aspects of animals as a super power and I'm still not sure about it but I do like the horror aspects of the comic. The artwork on the other hand is a bit of a let down for me as it seems a bit too simplistic.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:54:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Batwing: Surprisingly grim and gory to say that it's rated Teen rather than Teen Plus. A decent example of how to start off a new series, bit of back story, bit of current events and a cliffhanger all in one issue.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:54:01 Mobile | Show all posts
He loves that running into the camera pose with one leg forward and one trailing back into the distance as well.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:54:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Batgirl: After Batwing I was really looking forward to another Bat title as they seem to have been the strongest so far but this one was a bit of a let down. Not bad as such and I'll get the next issue but it didn't really leave a lasting impression.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:54:03 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree, along with most of the art being a bit poor, most of the issues completely miss the reboot premise - I read a review about Detective, and putting aside my Batcrush, it mentioned that the story could have been a flashback episode in Detective Comics issue eight hundred, rather than No:1.

....but to argue the toss with myself, I am not sure I want to see another 'Bruces' parents are shot, fell down a well of bats etc'

Marvel is not free of this as well though - the recent Daredevil 1 relies on you knowing his recent past in Vol 2 (that Matt is Daredevil) while adding a few little 'Dad was killed, I got hit by a container' words.

So, plus and minus points on the whole 'show a new or retell the origin' start to this DC reboot, but I really feel they could have just tried a bit harder, and I hope that the fans of Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern etc are happy when their issues are released in the next few weeks.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:54:04 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm happy with the way they have rebooted so far, I really don't want to read all the origin stories, even without being a comic book fan to recently I know most of them from cartoons when I watch growing up. The start of ultimate spiderman nearly put me off because I was reading the same story as i had seen multiple time on screen.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:54:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Green Lantern is continuing directly from War of the Green Lanterns.

*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS* for those who haven't read the War of the Green Lantern story arc.

Because of this, there's something in the back of my mind telling me that Green Lantern is going to be retold and  under similar but different circumstances to how he became one in the first place.

I know the the spoiler tags aren't necessary but didn't want to spoil the WotGL's arc for those who haven't read it. (It's one of the best and I definitely recommend it). Hopefully I've used them in the right places!

I'm eagerly awaiting #1 next week. Unfortunately, I am a self confessed Green Lantern fanboy.With Hal being stripped of his ring and returned to earth and Sinestro becoming a Green Lantern once again, the first 3 issues seem to be focussed around Sinestro battleing against his own Corps to protect Korugar. He doesn't seem to want to be a Green Lantern, but he's been chosen. As to whether he'll ultimately be allowed back in, or allow himself in, I don't know.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部