View: 374|Reply: 4

Amp for guitar, bass and synth

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:09:05 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Back in the 80s when I played regularly, I had a Marshall transistor amp which had dual channels; one with the standard guitar tone, overdrive etc. and a separate clean channel for 0db sources such as keyboards.

I’d love to get something like that again that I could use for guitar, bass or keyboard. The power output doesn’t have to be high as it will be mostly for home use and the occasional very small gig.

Ideas?

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:09:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Not sure about the bass aspect as I don’t play but my understanding is that as long as you stick to modelling amps the output is similar to a PA (FRFR) so picking up a used modelling amp would fit your needs. Stick the keyboard through the aux input or loop so it bypasses the models.

Peavy VIP is the obvious choice as it’s design for guitar and bass. Sure I heard of a couple of others.

On the guitar side the Helix is the modelling unit of the moment and that has bass models. Can plug that into whatever you want if it’s for home use and PA for giggs. Think some of the other modelling units do too, like the boss and zoom.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:09:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Very useful thanks.

Ideally, I’d like an amp with 2 inputs. To explain, I’m getting a MIDI guitar, and I would really like to be able to mix the standard guitar output with the synth output. I also worry that a guitar amp is expecting an input about -6db, but keyboard/synth with be 0db.

If I’m not making sense or using the correct terminology, I apologise and I’m happy to be corrected!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:09:08 Mobile | Show all posts
I used to use a Roland KC 350 keyboard amp with a guitar synth a few years ago. I was using a Boss multi effects unit for amp modelling and effects  and the Roland GR something synth GR20? . It sounded great, lots of low end power and grunt. I was looping with it, and had all sorts going on, guitar, bass, drum sounds, trumpets.... you name it, I looped it!
This was before IR's and FRFR speakers (although PA, FRFR speakers and keyboard amps are all similar) but it sounded great- Roland used to recommend their keyboard amps for their guitar synths, some of the synth sounds are very deep and the amp never broke into a sweat. It's a big amp, not really suitable for home use, but much smaller ones are available and they're all very rugged.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:09:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Probably something to ask on the vguitar forums as the guys into midi guitar used to hang out there.

Not sure there is much traffic now as I thought a lot of the buzz died down a few years back on midi.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部