View: 336|Reply: 1

Ridiculous request re: a v. specific Yamaha Subwoofer

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:11:46 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I was in a local mall in 1986 and the Rich’s (department store name) audio/video department had a Yamaha subwoofer on display that I could hear from the furthest corner of the store. I mean, it must have been 150 feet away with loud shopping din that would easily block out most sound. But this subwoofer, bless its heart, was sooooo powerful that I was attracted immediately upon hearing it. When I reached the AV department, I saw that it was a large orange cylinder as tall as my ten-year-old sister. If I recall correctly had a top dome that was flat but had a large radius curve to meet the side, like an alternate version R2-D2 robot and the profile dropped about a foot before it flanged inward for about a foot and a half and then flanged back out to a thick base. It was definitely putting out sub-bass frequencies if I was able to hear it over the sound of shoppers. And it was definitely a YAMAHA product. I asked the salesman what it cost and he told me something like $15,000 or some outrageous number like that. Like anyone in Cobb County would be putting one in their home. I’ve been searching for someone who might be knowledgeable about high-end stereo equipment from days of yore who could dredge up a model number or image that would jog my memory. Image attached is how I remember it looking.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:11:47 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't remember Yamaha having a sub like this at the time. You are describing something like the SVS cylindrical models.
It could be an imported model that was not sold or distributed by Yamaha UK.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部