Help needed with Micro Korg MIDI IN Logic X

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:13:48 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello all.

I have been recording with Logic for around 6 years, first with LP9 & for the past few years LPX. I have no problems recording using my nektar MIDI controller keyboard but I want more flexibility so I purchased a Micro Korg synth. Now I can record audio into logic x using my Korg by having TSR cables plugged from my Korg into inputs 3 & 4 in my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, but my problem is MIDI. I have have also connected my micro Korg into my Saffire Pro 24 with 2 MIDI din cables, out from the saffire to in on the korg, and out from the Korg to in on the saffire. I want to be able to use Logic's midi clock so I can auto time match arpeggios from my Korg into Logic. I can set up a MIDI track in Logic and record but I have to have my Micro Korg turned on with the volume up to be able to hear the playback of what I've recorded.Kinda defeats the purpose of recording. I can set up an audio input and record my korg as audio but as it's not MIDI I cannot quantize, adjust the attack & edit as well as I could if it was MIDI.
So my first question is...Can I record in Logic X from my Korg using MIDI only and just like I can using my controller keyboard using Logic's built in synths, rather than recording audio? If so how?
My second question is....How do I get Logic to recognize my Korg in my Macs MIDI as I cannot find it in the MIDI settings in my Mac running OS Sierra?

As you can see I'm not used to using an external synth in Logic so I'm really starting all over again.

Thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:13:49 Mobile | Show all posts
Firstly just try swapping the MIDI cables around as the labelling is sometimes counter intuitive to what you think it should be. If that doesn't work you could try running the MIDI through a din - usb cable instead of through the Focusrite. I used to use one of these with my old controller keyboard:

New USB to MIDI Keyboard Interface Converter Cable Adapter For PC Mac OS 2 #311

If you're using it as a controller for Logic sounds then you should have the volume of the Korg turned right down otherwise it's just the MIDI signals controlling the Korgs onboard sounds. In fact you should only need one of the cables to use it as a controller (MIDI out on the Korg into the Focusrite). The other possibility is that there are some MIDI options within the Focusrite software to get it functioning properly?

Good luck with it
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:13:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Dunc. I use the korg as an outboard synth as I have a full size Nektar midi controller keyboard. I have found a way to do what I want. I record from the korg using midi, then I create an audio track and select the same input as the midi input and record the midi signal as audio. Not the easiest solution but it works as I can quantize, edit the midi recording before committing it to audio. So if I connect my korg direct to my mac rather than to my focusrite via a midi to usb cable I'll be able to record into logic using the korg as a synth, using its sounds. I'll look into that connector you linked above. Thanks mate
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部