123Next
Back New
View: 893|Reply: 20

Small Guitar Amplifier Recommendations

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 21:20:45 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I currently have a Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT275 Combo that is now too big for my requirements so I'm looking to replace it with something small and compact that also has the ability to pack a punch. I don't need anything powerful as it will just be used at home but, as I play predominently rock, I'd like something with a selection of gain modes. I was considering both the Blackstar IDF:15TVP & HT-5 but they are physically bigger than I would like and, although I like all the features offered by the IDF:15TVP (gain modes & effects) I really don't think I'd use most of them. The HT-1R & HT Metal 1 are about the right size but I really have no idea just how loud a 1 watt amp sounds and I don't live near any music shops to be able to hear one.

Can anyone please advise if a 1 watt amp is adequate for home use (how loud does it really go) and also recommend a good compact amp with great sound and a few nice features.

Thank you.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:20:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I had a 2 watt Vox head delivered earlier this week and I was really surprised how loud that was. I plugged it into the speaker on my Blackstar HT5-R and I think it was pretty much as loud as the HT5-R is from it's own (5 watt) amp.

Tomorrow I'm going to try out a 1 watt Marshall head so I can give you some feedback on that afterwards. Depending on how I get on (and hopefully can broker a bit of a trade in deal as I want rid of my Blackstar and some other gear), I hope to bring the 1 watt home with me.

I think the 1 watt Blackstar would be pretty flexible in sound terms and you'd be able to crank it up to get power amp distortion too. You can always try changing the pre amp valve as well for a slight change in gain/tone (you don't need to bias the pre amp valve, only the power amp one).
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:20:47 Mobile | Show all posts
That's great thanks you for the feedback

Do you have any familiarity with the Roland Cube Mini as it always gets good reviews ?

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:20:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry, I've no experience with Roland amps...in truth there is just a very limited range of amps I do have experience with, it just happened that the 2 watt Vox came this week.

Might be worth having a look on the various guitar shop website tonight as there are a few decent Black Friday deals about...I just got another Vox valve amp (head), for nearly half the usual price.

Use magic Report

Thanks again, any tips on which websites to look at ?

Use magic Report

Try:

Guitar Guitar
Absolute Music
Andertons
PMT
Dolphin Music (related to PMT above, but web only I believe).
GAK
Gear4music.

If you paste any of those into Google you should find them.

Use magic Report

Excellent, thank you

Use magic Report

The blackstar TVP sounds the best if you like modelling amps but I'd go for the bigger speaker of the 30. You don't have to use the effects it just sounds great using as a standard amp. The amplifi and the cube are good too even the Mustangs but the high gain is a bit weak.

I had a valvestate and it really doesn't compare to a DSL, so much better tone even at low volume. I'd still go for the 40 over a 1 watt unless size and volume were a huge issue, 1 watt is louder than you will use the valvestate the 0.1 setting is TV volume. The DSL5c and SL5 are worth a look the latter is still big but does 1 watt. There are quite a few lunch box heads but you have to play them to decide if they manage the tone you want at low volume.

I'd stick a blackstar 30 and a DSL40 in a room figure out which you prefer valves or modelling. Then start looking at smaller amps. Travel to a shop as it's something you have to experience yourself as a smaller amp sounds more muffled and boxy. Like I've said I walked into the shop to buy a HT and once I played a Marshall 1 watt there was no comparison, it just had that tone.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:20:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for the post Christian 71

I'm looking for the best sound, at the lowest volume and the smaller the amp the better. The Blackstar ID:15TVP (or 30) seems to tick all the boxes but they're still quite big boxes (two thirds the size of the AVT275) ! I'm not familiar with the DSL range but will certainly take a look. I have no preference for solid state or valve, particularly if the solid state amp (modelling) can offer the same sounds as a valve amp but with lots of additional features as well.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:20:48 Mobile | Show all posts
You could be opening a whole can of worms with the valves verses modelling, but let you own ears decide.

Should find out later today, need to ring at 10am to check they still have stock.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部