View: 519|Reply: 12

8 string guitars

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:30 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Anyone play one? I'm thinking of getting one, not to replace my 6 string, but an alternative for a different sound, something new and hopefully a bit of fun. Looking at the schecter range, possibly damien elite.

Anyone have any experience? What's the maintenance and tuning like? Eg, do they go out of tune easily.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I've only seen and used the Ibanez ones, they were 7 strings. Awesome for some really have stuff, think Korn, Deftones, Slipknot etc

Never heard any other music from these types of guitars before. The ones I know, the Ibanez ones, never had any issues and were used on the road a lot and took a real beating too.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:21:32 Mobile | Show all posts
The damien elite gets good reviews, especially regards tuning and build quality, tempted. I do like playing heavy riffs, but also interested to hear what  bluesy riffs would sound like in a lower key. May try and get a demo somewhere, but 8 strings still seem quite rare in the UK.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I've haven't played a Schecter but have heard good things about them, my friend used to own an 7-string Ibanez S7420, he had it tuned to low A (ADGCFAD?) which had a really nice deep sound to it.

I used to like playing it clean but I could never use it to it's full potential, having stubby sausage-like fingers didn't help with the wider fretboard either. His was a 25.5" scale length but I'd imagine an 8 string would be baritone, that would take some getting used to. Do you own a 7-string at the moment?

I'm guessing you may have already heard of Tosin Abasi, as there aren't that many 8-stringers about. I only heard of him as someone told me I alternate pick like he does (thumb up), wish I could play like him too Check out some of his videos on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPpbekTXC2M

Have to admit, I'd like to own a 7 or 8 string but it would probably end up unused in its case, besides, I've been told to thin the herd before I go buying anymore.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:21:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Went into a music shop yesterday and they told me they were getting an 8 string ESP in soon and I can give that a go when it arrives. I've spotted Ibanez, ESP and Schecter as potentials. I already have 6 string Ibanez and ESP guitars, love them both. When I was buying my last guitar, it was between PRS, ESP and Schecter, I went with the ESP, but the others were nice too.

I'll be coming straight from 6 strings, but its not going to be a replacement, something to play different stuff on and the more I read about the better quality 8 string guitars, the more I think I'll be making a purchase and probably a Schecter, as they get good reviews and something different to my other two electric guitars.

I know what you mean about thinning out though, I have 4 guitars already, 2 electrics, an acoustic and a bass. But I play in a couple of bands, so most get an airing on a regular basis.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:21:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Wow, was it really 3 years ago when I started looking into this? Well, finally stumped up for a Schecter Blackjack having played a few 8-Strings over the weekend. It should be delivered later in the week, but I'm glad I played a few before deciding one way or tuther, some tips I got from demoing:

- Budget guitars (Upto £400), were not that great, they were playable but you'd soon be thinking of upgrading the spec if you get into it
- String Gauge makes a big difference, especially between 0.8 and 0.65 Low F# strings, I've gone for a guitar than can fit all gauges as a couple could only support the lighter gauges without modding the extra tuning pegs (I'll probably settle on a gauge after a string change or 2)
- It does feel like learning a new instrument, so it'll be worth trying before buying as I see several guitars on ebay in near new condition due to not being played
- I very much doubt 8 String will replace my 6 string for gigging, found it disorientating playing top 6 strings, but I guess this will come with practise

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Funnily enough, I was looking at 7/8 strings a few weeks back, ended up buying another 6 string, so much for thinning the herd.

Specs on the Schecter Blackjacks look great, how do you find the scale length? Whenever I play bass my fingers feel like they've shrunk, I think 28" scale down at the lower frets would be a challenge for me, anyway.

Be interesting to hear if it inspires a different approach to playing, like you said, it's like learning a new instrument, not sure I could adapt to the larger fret span but the extra lower strings do appeal to me.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:21:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Bottom of the neck I felt comfortable albeit I was using my little finger a lot more than normal. Lead higher up the neck I wasn't so comfortable with, that will take some time.

I went to 2 shops and they let me play a few guitars, so had around an hour total play time. While it took some time to get used to, I was carving out riffs to match what I want to do with the extended range. So I'm hopeful I can write some new stuff, especially with a drummer who has some beats perfect for what we want to do.

It should come tomorrow or Thursday, can't wait to put it through my set up. I'll let you know how I get on after I've played it on anger a few times.

Edit: I ignored the 6 and 7 strings so I wouldn't be distracted, what did you buy?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Bought a Jackson Adrian Smith SDX, in hindsight I should have held on as I have enough 6 strings already, being a Maiden fan I couldn't help it.

Got me looking at a Black Cherry Schecter Omen Extreme 7 now, 26.5" scale length isn't that much of a stretch from standard, probably need a pickup upgrade though. Having a low B without d-tuning is what I'd like, having an very low F# would be an added bonus. I'll have to make do with drop-B on a standard scale for now.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:40 Mobile | Show all posts
this months total guitar has got a 16 page special on 7 and 8 string guitars

..think I've got my hands full enough with 6

Use magic Report

12Next