Guitar advice for a teenager who likes 70/80's Rock

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:22:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi

That is very sound advice. The guitar is our top priority at the moment. The amp will follow later

Many thanks

Ron
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:22:11 Mobile | Show all posts
You can get some great guitars for £700...but you really don't need to spend that much.  For three or four hundred, you can get a very nice Epiphone Les Paul.  For five or six hundred they have some lovely signature models, like the Slash one or the Joe Bonamassa Pelham Blue Les Paul.  I have heard good things about the Les Paul Studio guitars, which are £749 if you really want the Gibson name on the headstock.  But you've also got some great options from other companies like these PRS guitars (all from Peach Guitars, they mostly come in other colours as well):

Guitars > Electric Guitars > PRS SE Bernie Marsden Gold Metallic - Peach Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti Custom Electric Guitar - Natural Quilt
Guitars > Electric Guitars > PRS SE Zach Myers Signature Trampas Green - Peach Guitars

Peach Guitars only seems to stock guitars from a few manufacturers, which is fine if those are the guitars he's interested in.  If you go to other shops, you can find a plethora of other options - here are a few more from Anderton's within your price range, all from reputable manufacturers:

ESP LTD EC-331 BLKS in BLACK SATIN | Andertons
Gretsch Electromatic G5435 Pro Jet Guitar in Black | Andertons
Line 6 JTV-59 James Tyler Variax Guitar in Cherry Sunburst (as previously mentioned)
Schecter Solo-II Platinum with Satin Black Finish | Andertons

I limited my selection here to single cut guitars (not tele-style) but really there's no need to discount any style of guitar.  Honestly, you can play most styles of music on more or less any guitar, particularly if you're talking about rock (and not more acoustic stuff which may be better with a hollow body).  That opens up some other great manufacturers, like Charvel or Ibanez, who make some super rock guitars.

The most important factor is that your son should really want to play the guitar, so it should appeal to him.  It should feel good to play, particularly the shape and size of the neck for his left hand (assuming he's right-handed; I guess you would have mentioned if he wasn't), but also the shape of the body when he's playing it (any bits that stick uncomfortably into his body, for example).  The exact sound of the guitar probably isn't too important at this stage - it's more influenced by the amp than the pickups, really.

Some other factors that he shouldn't neglect include:
- whether he wants a tremolo arm (if his Fender has one then I'd recommend getting one without)
- number of frets (mostly 22 or 24; not usually a problem, some metal stuff in particular may use 24 frets)

Don't forget a strap and somewhere to put the guitar when it's not being played (a little stand, or perhaps wall hangers - many people here have found the Hercules ones to be the best), and perhaps a couple of sets of strings (if you ask nicely, the shop might throw those in for free).

If you go secondhand, obviously you can get something more upmarket, but your risk of getting a guitar with something wrong, or needing work, is much higher.  Personally, wth your budget, I'd go for a new guitar where you have a warranty from the shop, because you're not struggling to be able to afford something decent - you can get an excellent guitar for that money.

Lastly, when you make a choice, ask if they have more in stock.  It's nice to have a guitar that hasn't been on display and handled by loads of people already, but if you do that, DEFINITELY get them to take it out and have a look at the guitar (and a little play) before you splash the cash (and ask the sales guy to look over it too).  They can differ in quality, and also some of the guitar tops can vary a lot from one guitar to the next, if you see the natural wood (unlike your cheap Fender which probably has a solid paint job on it, hiding the wood beneath which probably isn't very good quality).  If they have more than one in stock, ask them to pull out a couple so that you can choose a nice one.

Sorry to go on!  Buying a guitar is a complex business...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:22:11 Mobile | Show all posts
I posted a Chappers video in the Equipment thread but actually this older video of his is better:

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:22:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi

I can't thank you enough for taking the time and effort to write such a comprehensive and helpful response. My son is going through your response as I write. I'm sure we will be taking a few trips to different shops over the weekend to ensure he experiences the variety you wisely advise

I do agree that buying new is probably safest way to go, especially as we do not have that much knowledge and could buy a lemon without knowing it

Thanks again for all your help

Ron

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:22:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Others have mentioned PRS, I have a PRS SE Stanard 245 whch is single cut model and is £399 new. They are absolutely great guitars for the money and again another one he should check out

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:22:14 Mobile | Show all posts
I think everyone here is happy to help anyone who wants to develop their musical abilities.  Don't hesitate to ask us for more advice or opinions if you have any more question.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:22:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi

That's now on his list. You guys have really helped open up our choices

Many thanks

Ron

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:22:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi

Well we are back from our trip to check out guitars. The variety tested seemed endless, the only makes I remember are from Fender, Ibanez, PRS, Gibson (Les Paul and Firebird), CE, Epiphone and Gretsch.

We went to Peach Guitars and finally Music Warehouse were my son fell in love with a 2008 Cherry Gibson Les Paul Studio. Even to my ears the 2008 Gibson sounded the best of all the guitars he played on this very long and hot day. I can see that it hasn't been used much, so as such it's condition is excellent. I do get additional comfort with the full 3 month guarantee it comes with.

I highly recommend Music Warehouse to anybody in the Essex area. The name does not really do it justice as you'd expect a large faceless sterile shop. Instead it's a small genuine shop filled to the rafters with a huge variety of guitars and staffed by people who actually play and are happy to spend time with us tod share their knowledge and experience

We didn't intend to buy today, but after he played the Cherry he was so happy. In his own words, it just felt natural and right in his arms. So, I just couldn't bear to make him to wait, so buy it we did. Credit to my little boy (he's almost as big as me now!), he wanted to wait until he had the rest of the money and pay for it all himself , but I'm the one that insisted we buy it

So he is very happy and feels like Christmas has come early
I'm sure I'll be back asking a ton of questions

Many thanks for all your help

Ron

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:22:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Don't forget to post pics