View: 396|Reply: 6

Guitarist here

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:12 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Been playing for around 10 years now. Started when I was 18. Influences include Gilmour, Knopfler, Moore and Lee among others.

Have 2 G&L tribute strats. FX wise, I use a Boss GT8. I only play at home, so the one box solution suits me. My amp is an Marshall MG30DFX, which is probably the worst marshall ever made.  Pics of guitar gear:

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:13 Mobile | Show all posts
O dear just got one for my birthday o well itll be better than my 10 watt jobbie Ive got ATM
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:23:14 Mobile | Show all posts
It will undoubtedly be better than a 10 watt jobbie. However, I am putting it against other Marshall's. I think the sound quality is not too bad, however, it is not very subtle and struggles to pick out nuances in, for example, bright strat lead work. However, it's good at rhythm, particularly your hard rock Ibanez type stuff.

My main gripe with it is the build quality. The speaker goes very easy for a Marshall. mine was popping after a few months and a lot of people have had the same experience, so dont push it too hard. I am currently saving for my next amp, a Fender Twin Reverb.

Lets get it into perspective though. If you have only used your 10 watter, it's going to be like a dream. However, I have played through many amps over the years, including Vox, Mesa Boogie's, Orange's and more, so it has a lot to live up to against those. However, for the price, perhaps I should'nt expect it to.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:23:15 Mobile | Show all posts
I've been playing guitar since I was about 7 years old, but I reached a plateau with my playing when in my teens and never managed to make the big time. I won a couple of local talent competitions, but after that it just became an occasional hobby. I bought one of the early Fostex 'X15' 4 track tape recorders and made lots of demo tapes of own stuff (mostly lost now, though I still have the X15), never quite had the confidence, or knowledge where to send them in.

I've worked with other guitarists over the years and had occasional after work jam sessions, even bought myself a digital 8 track zip disc recorder that still works fine. Trouble is kids, DIY and work keep pushing this hobby to the back and everytime I do pick it up again I find myself playing the same old tired riffs and songs.

My missus and family clubbed together for my 40th and got me a Line 6 amp (I think it's in 'My Setup thread' in some photos) and that's been a godsend. It does a pretty good job of recreating probably 90% of the Fender/Marshall/AC30 sound as required and that has really inspired me to play again (apart from a minor distraction of building my lounge/cinema room last year). I've got an Epiphone Les Paul, cheap Squire Telecaster (bought to take with me when I used to stay in hotels in a previous job) and an early 80's '57 reissue Japanese Squire Strat.

I got the Strat for my 18th so it has a sentimental value, despite me respaying it various colours. I stripped it down and sanded it back to bare wood ready for a proper two tone sunburst respray in cellulose, but haven't got round to ringing the guy the local shop gave a number for.

Hopefully once I get the Strat refinished (and the frets dressed as they're a little worn lower down the neck) I'll get back into playing it as the LP is soooo heavy I get backache after 15 minutes. I like to play along with a DVD I've got of the 50th Anniversary of the Strat as I actually know most of the songs on the disc!

I'll take some photos and post them up at some point if anyone is interested.

I'm also a drummer, but maybe that should be admited in another thread.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:16 Mobile | Show all posts
My old dad has been rockin' and rollin since the 50's and now loves his peavey bandit 110 and tokai strat

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:17 Mobile | Show all posts
ATM not being an experienced player (only been playing for a year or so) im going for the fact that its Marshall and i can trust it TBH ive only played on two amps my 10 watt Kustom and a 30W Elka which i play with (which isnt mine) at my lessons/jam sessions and to be fair it does a fair job agaisnt my teachers twin(?) top of the range reverb Roland.
Anyway by the time i but my multi effects pedal crank the overdrive up the amp'll probably sound fine.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:23:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh God. I hope you don't end up suffereing from axe-o-mania like me! In the last 5 years I have bought 12 electric guitars of varying worth; some from £350 to £1100 as well as 3 amps and many, many pedals (recently got a Boss ME-80). I could list them all but it'd take a while! (Well, I will say I recently got a Schecter C-1 Classic and a Les Paul Studio - both are beautiful). Thing is I first learnt to play when I was ten and now I'm fortyfive and finally I can indulge my first true love!
With regards to amps try a Marshall DSL15 combo. It might only be 15 watts but it's loud enough. A bit pricey at £489. Or for £279 the Laney Cub12R combo. All tube and great clean sound. Needs pedals for distortion etc. I personally have a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 which was £428. Damn good.
Anyway, enjoy yourself and have fun!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部