View: 387|Reply: 6

New Stage Piano & a song

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:26 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm sure some of the members knows my daughter since she was 6 years old!

Recently Roland sponsored her and offered RD800 to use for small concerts etc. Here is a recording we did 2 days ago at home. By any means I'm still a newbie in recording etc, so kindly forgive if the recording is sounding right.

This is a Cover of See You Again - Wiz Khalifa , but inspired by the demo version produced by Charlie Puth

Bits used: Roland RD800, Shure SM7B, Zoom H6

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Beautiful.

You must be one very proud Dad Sunil.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Love it !  She has a lovely vibrato.  

Re the recording... and take this all with a pinch of salt because its a nice recording.

1) it's a very nice reverb (in fact I'm curious what you've used ??) but a little bit too wet for my tastes.   Experiment with delay settings rather than a global reverb, as I think a well judged delay setting (perhaps triggered with automation at the end of a phrase), can sound cleaner and less 'soaked' in reverb.

2) I have the SM7B microphone, and it's brilliant.  Good choice to retain the warmth of the voice.
However, it actually sounds even better without the foam windshield.  Try using a regular pop filter instead.  There are a couple of 'pops' in the recording which could've been avoided with this method too.

3) If you fancy being adventurous, have a go a mid-side stereo recording. The science behind this technique sounds complicated, but in practice its not really.
The beauty of this technique is that if you want to go back to the regular mono recording you can, and it gives you the ability to fine tune the 'width' of the recording in post.

It might not work, but when it does its stunning.  I love mid-side stereo recording. )
You'll need a figure-8 (bi-directional) microphone in addition to the regular cardiod to do it.

Something tells me your daughter has a future.  She really does have a lovely voice.

Thanks for sharing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:23:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you Crocodile and Jules.

I've used Platinumverb (Preset - big hall) in Logic added to a bus and added -10 to vocal track. That's all the effects side, then added compression to output. I'll try out the options you suggested soon and post the link.

BTW, I do have a AKG C214 as well but for some reason I like the sound from SM7B over C214. Could you please listen and comment? For me it sounds bit metallic

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Stunning, yet again....there's a shed load of potential here.

I can see why you think it might sound a bit metallic though.  I can hear it too, but it's still very good and not what I'd call brittle.

However, with a voice like her's, there's definitely reason to spend time finding the right microphone to suit her voice.  

I have a Shure KSM32 which is a much warmer / thicker sound than most condenser microphones, though it has a slightly smaller diaphragm and tends to sound like something between the two microphones you have.
If I was recording your daughter and looking to get an 'airy' sound without the brightness, I'd be trying that next.

However, the SM7B is hard to beat and I think you should try it without the foam windshield.... that's how Michael Jackson used it on the Thriller album.  It really opens up without the foam.

I'm actually quite jealous you have such talent to work with.   
As has already been said, you must be very proud.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Great news on the sponsorship and fantastic performances

Some good advice from Jules there. The only other points I'd make is to be very sparse with compression on performances like this as you want the natural dynamics to come through. It's a touch audible on the first recording. I'd also experiment with a slight boost in EQ towards the top end to give it more sparkle. Other than that, awesome

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:23:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you Jules & DF

Your comments given me the courage to seek opinion in gearslutz and looks like she has a good start! They also has same agreement that Shure SM7B is already working on her voice very well, but may need to upgrade the rest of chain including a good audio interface and mic pre.

Currently I use Zoom H6 as audio interface, that need to be upgraded. I've to take her to studio - shop to test out various mic pre for that desired airy sound without losing the quality.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部