View: 2438|Reply: 148

Which electric guitar advice please

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:48 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I am planning to buy my 13 year old son (he will be 14 next month) an electric guitar for a surprise Christmas present. He has been playing the acoustic guitar for a couple of years now and spend quite a bit of his time practicing.

He is quite musical - but I am not, so I really need some guidance on where to start. Neither he or I would mind buying second hand if that means getting a better set up.

Questions I have are

- what budget should I have. I was thinking c.£200 - is that enough?
- what else should I buy (amp, stand, etc)
- new or used
- where to buy from

Any guidance is appreciated.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:23:49 Mobile | Show all posts
Do you know what bands/guitarists he admires? Thinking that it might be a start to look at a similar style guitar to his hero. Obviously not expecting you to buy a ten grand Gibson or something, but it might give a clue as to what to aim for.

There are various starter packs at most of the music shops, with a basic amp and the accessories needed. Though you might get a little more for your money if you can buy used, but it's hard to know what's good and what isn't if you don't know much about guitars yourself. So maybe new is less of a risk?

Either that or keep your eyes open on Gumtree/ebay/AVforums classifieds and ask us on here.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:49 Mobile | Show all posts
A guitar is such a personal thing and each sound and feel quite different. Having a couple of years experience under the belt he probably knowns what he likes and aspires to.

The ideal situation would be to take him to the shop to try a few but obviously the surprise element would be lost.

No problem buying used but as with any purchase a bit of knowledge and if possible warranty are necessary.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:23:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the initial thoughts. Are there any specific brands/models I should look at - or more importantly steer clear of?

I will try to find out who he really likes (I know he likes Hendrix for a start).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Useful info there.

Hendrix is known for his Fender Stratocaster, though you wouldn't get one within your budget.

The next best would be the Fender Squier range, basically a Fender approved and corroborated version built where the labour is cheap.

The Squier Strats range between about £100 to £350 obviously the more expensive the better.

£228 delivered would get you a vintage modified. I'd be well chuffed with one of those.

Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster Rosewood Fretboard 3-Tone | Andertons

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:51 Mobile | Show all posts
I think that as above, you really need to at least find out what sort of music he likes, and maybe who he would want to play like. At his age, the look of the guitar is going to be very important.
Once we have that sorted, there are certainly options for you to look at. Have a look at this link for some examples at lots of different price points.
Electric Guitar Starter Packages | Gear4music

Given that you know nothing about guitars, second hand is probably not a good idea. Something to think about - is the amp for bedroom use, or will he want to play with mates, maybe with drums? If the latter, you are going to struggle with your budget I'm afraid. Anyway, have a look at his spotify playlist and revert!

Edit - was writing as Hyperfish replied... One point - is £200 just for the guitar, or including amp and stand?

Cheers
Phil

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Most guitar companies have the budget range of their flagships; Fender has Squier, Gibson has Epiphone, ESP has LTD, Jackson has Charvel, and so on. Your usual suspects for beginners, and also you more classic type of electric guitars are Stratocaster's (Fender/Squier) and Les Paul's (Gibson/Epiphone). Obviously both do the same thing (generally speaking), but the feel is totally different; Les Paul's are heavier and bulkier, while Strat's are smoother and more svelte. It's a personal thing, and as much as I love the look and sound of a Les Paul, I've just never got on with one myself.

Personally, I would be looking at the Yamaha Pacifica range - you'll pay half the price you would for a Squier, but you get way more than half the quality. Personally, I think they're the best non-Fender Fender's out there, and I'd probably have one over a Squier, personally speaking. You're looking at £150-£200 for an 012 model, which has the added advantage of two single coil and a double coil pick-up config, whereas most Squier Strats, and most Fender's, have three single coils. Both have a tremolo bridge (for vibrato and note bending) whereas the Les Paul or SG types from Gibson/Epiphone typically have fixed bridges.

As mentioned, you're gonna need an amp, cables, a stand, and possibly a pedal or two, depending on the type of playing he wants to do (although most amps have an "overdrive" or "distortion" channel built in, so at first the whole pedal thing might not be too important - those can be picked up at later dates as he grows as a player. Me personally, I don't like the overdrive channel on my Marshall amp, so I use a Line 6 distortion pedal, but again it's just personal preference)

Speaking of amps, look at the likes of Marshall, Peavey and Line 6 - both do budget ranges, with either small (15w) or large (50w) models. I have a 30w, fairly old, Marshall Valvestate amp, which means the pre-amp is valve driven, and the main power amplifier is solid-state driven (the first amps that came out were valve driven, and have that classic sound, but just like how cars went from real wood trim to plastic, then wood effect trim to recreate that classic look, amps went from valve to solid-state, then hybrids to try and recreate that classic valve tone, without having to spend a fortune on top of the line valve amps). End of the day, you pay for what you get, and naturally the cheaper ones sound just that - cheaper. But a decent amp company, like Marshall, Peavey or relative newcomer Line 6, will get you a good sounding amp. I'd personally love a Mesa amp, but you're talking a grand plus straightaway!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:23:53 Mobile | Show all posts
t
yeah I'd agree....
real tough one regards the surprise factor......but you could end up with something that might end up with a teenage 'meh' response !....and might gather dust in the corner

as others have said would be good to get an idea of what sort he's likely to go starry eyed over....les paul....strat......semi hollow...maybe one like my avatar pic ....my 15 year daughter (who can also play ) liked the look of it first time she saw it.

could always have a recce in a shop over some in your budget range.....then take him out for his birthday....straight round to the dealer so he could pick one out?

there can be some used bargains about on gumtree.......if they're local it would be easy just go have a look and a chat......think most guitar owners are an affable lot .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:23:54 Mobile | Show all posts
To be clear, I would ideally like to spend £200 for the whole set up - but could spend some more if I felt there was meaningful difference in performance.  The Squire vintage looks really nice - but is above my ideal budget. Not sure if it is worth the extra £££?

The Yamaha price range is starting to look more attractive not least because I may also have to consider buying a decent amp (the bit about coils went over my head!).

Incidentally, I have a couple of high end late 70s/early 80s amplifiers and decent speakers. Is it possible to simply plug the guitar into the phono stage of one of these instead of buying a new amplifier for the guitar?

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:23:54 Mobile | Show all posts
No, using the phono input wouldn't be correct as this has a special frequency response to compensate for the way records are mastered. TBH you could pick up a basic practice amp cheap enough if you don't buy a starter pack: I got an 'Orange' 12 watt amp that was included with a guitar I bought on Gumtree recently. I believe it's about £70 new, but I've seen used ones for half that and it sounds great as a practice amp (actually pretty loud when cranked up as well). There are brand new amps for £40 or so if it has to be brand new:

Orange Crush Micro Amp | Andertons

Or Fender:

Fender Frontman 10G Amp

Or this used example I found on Gumtree:

Peavy Practice Amp | United Kingdom | Gumtree

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部