12345678Next
Back New
Author: hyperfish

Strat Affinity Refirb (picture heavy)

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 21:26:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Looks great, should be able to easily sort the burn thru it happens.

Not a fan of black on white pots/covers with the classic colours, sure it wouldn't look better with parchment?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Christian. The more I look I can see that the black knobs and covers don't work. I never gave parchment a thought. I'll take a look. As an aside something I didn't realise when looking at pickup covers is that the pole centres are slightly different on a Strat bridge pickup. 2mm more from E to e in my case when compared to the neck and middle.

I'm disappointed with the sanding through. Its seems I missed something on the colour layers. It was only a small area but with such a pale colour and the location of the mark it was noticeable. Barely noticeable in truth but it would draw my eye forever if I had left it.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:26:25 Mobile | Show all posts
I did the same, it's not as easy to repair with dye so if I use again I'll go heavy in the coats.

One of the advantages of poly is it goes on thick so much easier for a first build. Really with nitro you can never have too many coats as it goes in so thinly, just wait until you start picking up marks. Poly is like an armour coating, Nitro is more like silk jacket

I ruined my finish with a rogue screws when I resolderred the pickups it hadn't really sunk in how soft it is. There's a reason all those vintage guitars look beat up to hell.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Earlier this week I fixed the sand though by just spraying it over with glancing shots directed away from the middle of the body. If that makes sense. Anyway, that covered and blended in.

Today I applied the remaining 3/4 of a can of clear gloss, so wet that I got I couple of runs.

Now it will sit drying for the next 2-3 weeks while I'm on holiday.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:27 Mobile | Show all posts
After 3 weeks I'm ready for sanding. Generally the spray job looks ok but there's a couple of areas for concern (not in the pic).

Got some 600 and 1200 grit soaked and ready.

Rubbed the body level with the 600 to a dull finish.

Then kept sanding away at the blemishes. Alas they didn't clear before I got all the way to the primer.

Made sure I had got all the areas right back. I also did a couple of drop-fills on the lower edge.

I still have almost a full can of Daphne Blue from the last touch up so I have just ordered another can of clear coat.

I'm not too disappointed with these events, more surprised that I got these blemishes at this stage. I must be going wrong somewhere.
Anyway, I am determined that this thing with have a mirror finish even if it ends up as thick as a submarine door with all the lacquer.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:26:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Yep its a bugger, I had to put quit a few extra coats on as I had burn thru like you so I feel for you feller. Least it's a solid colour, I used dye so it was harder to touch up and had to add the dye to the nitro.

I'm sure you are not, but there should be no pressure at all on the pad. It should be gliding along the the top due to the water effortlessly, if there is friction add more water or clean the scum off. I found a bucket easier than a jug and a cloth to keep wiping down.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:28 Mobile | Show all posts
The experience you describe must have been a mare.

Thanks for the tip Christian, indeed a bucket or at least a big mixing bowl would be better.

Yea, gentle does it with the elbow grease.     Keep smiling and all that.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:29 Mobile | Show all posts
After another can of colour and clear lacquer, then another 3 weeks drying time, I sanded the body back today. Starting with 800 grit and finishing with 1200. I's now nice and level, looking almost like satin plastic.

After removing the masking and sanding a small amount of over-spray on the pocket edges, I offered the neck into the pocket. It was tight when I took it apart but there was no way it was going to fit now. Maybe the wood of the pocket and neck have relaxed since they have been released from the joint?

I took a bit of trial and error sanding the neck heel but they now fit.

Unfortunately and I guess inevitably I got a couple of chips in the finish at the delicate point where the lacquer ends at the bare wood. I dropped filled these.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:26:30 Mobile | Show all posts
You're on the home straight now. I've become a convert to that shade of blue, I've recently seen a cross between a Strat body with Tele pickups/pickguard/switches on another forum and it looked superb in that colour. Tempted to look for a Tele in that colour myself if I could find one with a 'vintage' neck.

You've been really patient taking your time with it too, so I hope you're pleased with it too.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:26:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Yep, really pleased with how its coming on despite the odd set back.

I'm not known for my patience but since I have something else to play I'm quite cool about the slow process.

It's a drag waiting for nitro to dry properly with every coat and touch up. Next time I will definitely use acrylic.

My wife loves the Daphne Blue colour. That surely puts be in good standing for buying more guitars.

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部