123Next
Back New
Author: pinnocchio

How much will the DUP get to go along today?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:53:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Looks like the deal may have been struck without them on board.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:53:40 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't think this will clear parliament, I think this is another Cummins leak trying to bounce the DUP into supporting the deal which I can't see them doing unless they at least get a shedload of cash and even then may not.

There's also a legal action starting in Scotland today regarding you cannot have different tax regimes in the UK according to existing legislation, so there's another potential hurdle to overcome.

Link so you can read yourself

Brexit LIVE: Remainers launch legal action against new deal... before it's even signed

It's an interesting point in law and could require emergency legislation to change the existing law before voting on the new law, or of course, could be added as an amendment to the new bill.

Should be an interesting 48 hours.

The old joke applies, the only ship that leaks from the top is the ship of state.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:53:41 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:53:42 Mobile | Show all posts
I understand, although I wasn't aware of that tweet as I don't do social media.

I would wonder if that tweet was because BoJo had told the EU he had the votes to get it through, when in fact the DUP have come out again this morning, even after BoJo said there's a deal, that they're not onboard.

So unless BoJo has somehow corralled enough votes to get it through and I honestly don't think the numbers are there, or he 'fibbed' to the EU to try and generate a 'head of steam' to bounce the DUP into this (more likely IMHO).

However you look at this it's very hard not to say that BoJo will do or say almost anything at this stage to avoid having to sign the extension letter, unfortunately, as you may well have surmised, I have no regard for the mans honesty at all and the planted stories in the press over the last few weeks have been politics at it's very worst IMHO.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:53:43 Mobile | Show all posts
I just read this from yesterday in the Belfast Telegraph which seems to be suggesting there's a direct financial link between a close Foster associate and the Heating Scandal I referred to above.

RHI: Family of ex-DUP adviser Crawford stood to earn £6m windfall, book claims - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Obviously not proven yet, but fairly strong evidence if it bears up to scrutiny.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:53:44 Mobile | Show all posts
The agreement with the EU has nothing to do with numbers in Parliament, in the same way that Theresa May's WA didn't. Our government has negotiated it with the EU and both sides have agreed to its terms - hence the tweet from the EU.

Whether it passes through our Parliament and/or the European Commission successfully is another thing entirely.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:53:44 Mobile | Show all posts
What you think of as minutiae, are just facts. As we will see.

Of course there is a possibility.

But let's take this back.

I pointed out that it isn't the DUP getting this money, but Northern Ireland.

You asked how the money was disbursed, and I pointed out that Westminster currently controls spending in NI, and that spending was subject to checks by the NAO.

And then you pointed to this story as evidence they can't be relied on.

Really? That's your case? That they didn't pick up on a situation that is still unsubstantiated that any wrongdoing took place?

Oh well if that's true, then the NAO are guilty as charged. There will be literally hundreds of things that have not been proven to have happened that they haven't reported on. Clearly they must be incompetent to oversee public spending, what with their reliance on facts and evidence.

The material point is that it is Northern Ireland that benefit, and the constituents they represent.

Ironic to talk about truth when your example is something unproven.

At last something semi relevant. Though again, nothing proven yet as the investigation is yet to conclude.

Luckily, we have a model to assess the possible misuse of future funds. The previous "bung". How was that misused by the DUP? Let's not even insist on proven facts. How much is even remotely linked to any potential scandals.

That would be a big fat zero.

But if anything is proven, I'd expect the full weight of the law to be used against any corruption. But as yet you have nothing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:53:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Seems a bit odd for someone to post a link as a "proof" and then criticise someone for discussing it because it's "minutiae".   Perhaps you could both drop it and move on?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:53:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm glad you started this Thread because that was my exact initial thought once Bozo started crowing about his "success".

The government are being held to ransom by the DUP as they are desperate to stay in power, so I expect the size of the bribe to be pretty substantial. I suppose the DUP could name their price and conditions, they've got nothing to lose.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:53:47 Mobile | Show all posts
those 10 creationist bigots have been holding the whole country they claim to be a part of to ransom ever since May got into bed with them

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部