Author: Rasczak

Brexit: The Week Ahead!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 22:18:40 Mobile | Show all posts
well you keep going on about riots in the streets - but that isnt what caused us to have a referendum on the first place. So I would expect if Brexit isn't accomplished exactly the same would occur as what caused the Brexit vote to begin with - and it wasn't violence..

So why you think nothing is  going to happen....
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 22:18:40 Mobile | Show all posts
I only ask because of the editorial from yesterday that claims:

Well the reason that May has failed to get her deal across the line is opposition from the Tory hardliners - if the Guardian thinks that May has been currying favor with the ERG, really what planet are they on.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 22:18:41 Mobile | Show all posts
May has given more oxygen and consideration to the hard core of Brexiteers than any of her predecessors. The result has backfired on her.  The Guardian is quite right, she should have reached out for a cross-party consensus from day one and then we wouldn't be in this mess. Instead she has tried to woo a faction of her own party that doesn't even have the numbers to deliver what she wants even if they weren't so intransigent!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 22:18:41 Mobile | Show all posts
DUP have opposed it too.

And there are quite a few Labour MPs who have constituencies that voted to leave by large margins but have not supported any 'leave' initiative.

And while I get where Bercow is coming from I don't agree with him in this case because the last vote was not a single indepedent stand-alone vote but a set of three interacting votes.

Vote May Deal
If No, vote No Deal
If No, vote Delay

What May wants to do this week is a single vote

Vote May Deal

Now I agree that it looks like repetition but it is not quite.  Consider Candidate X whose preferences are

1 - No Deal
2 - May Deal
3 - Delay

Clearly under the interacting three votes he/she would have no choice but to vote NO to their second choice (May Deal) so that he/she could vote for their first choice (No Deal) - they now find themselves stuck with their third choice.

What the last vote would do would be to give the ones that wanted 'No Deal' to consider whether they would prefer 'May's Deal' in preference to delay.

So even though I don't like May's deal and I think it is moot because even if all the tories backed it the DUP won't I think Bercow is wrong and it should go ahead.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
There is one point where I have sympathy for Mrs May. Parliament has made it clear what it doesn't want, but what does it want? My prediction is a short extension, preceded/followed by indicative votes on a desired outcome. Whether the European Council accepts that as a good reason for extending, I don't know.....

Use magic Report

Where did the riots predictions come from? The only trouble you tend to see on the streets is from the left and far left hangers on.

I did bump into a "Football Lads" (??) thing in London once a few years ago. Asked the policeman what was going on, he told me. Looked like a football terrace crowd was lost but they dispersed after some shouting from someone with a bull horn. We just went the other way and continued to have a nice time.

Use magic Report

It was interesting to listen to 5 Live yesterday. An MP was saying that in light of the outcome of last week's votes he would change his mind and now support May's deal. - and that there were a lot of others who would do the same (I don't remember any numbers being given though).

So even though the proposal may not change, the outcome of another vote may be different. In that context I believe  the speaker must allow another vote.

Personally I'd rather leave with no deal but I have a feeling May's deal would go through now.

Anyway, how come so much power is in one man's hands? Did I miss my chance to vote for who becomes speaker of the house? Whoever it is must display impartiality at all times -and they must resign if they can't do that.

If we end up with a delay we must hold EU elections, if only to stop the EU from changing any rules during the extension period.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 22:18:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Speaker is supposed to be neutral as well. I wonder what the chat is behind the scenes. The book will be interesting in a few years time.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The only variants Parliament has had a chance to vote on are May's and no deal. Put a Norway style deal in front of it and it will (probably) pass and be agreed by the EU27.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Not only is he supposed to be neutral, but his constituents can’t even vote him out as he stands unopposed in general elections.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部