Author: Pacifico

State vs Private Education

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:44:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Perhaps take that up with @SteakAndCake who first brought up funding as an issue, if you don't want it discussed.

What do you want me to comment on? I'm very happy with my children's academy and the education they've received.

It's certainly far better than the comprehensive I went to in pretty much every way.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:44:59 Mobile | Show all posts
deleted

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 00:44:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Awesome, that must have been really good.

I’ve experienced it and witnessed it at every school, as has my wife, and unfortunately so have my children. And also on out of school activities unfortunately like at various stables, football/hockey clubs etc.

My youngest daughter is having a bout of it at the moment. A real stupid and ignorant this a making fun of her surname, whilst making stupid pretend Chinese noises, and spitting their eyes. Oh and don’t the rest of the class have a laugh with them.

But if it wasn’t that, it would be something else sadly. Heck I remember one that my eldest was subjected to which was because of where we’d loves and our house. My daughter when’s through a long period where she didn’t dare to take any friend home as she became “ashamed” to live in a nice big house where only one parent works. Just so stupid.

Or that time that we got the phone call from the police that you dread. Our daughter ended up in hospital being attacked by a group of girls she doesn’t even know, because a boy she also doesn’t know across the road turned his head and looked at her and said that she is fit to his girlfriend (the leader of the pack).

Yup I really wished it was different, but unfortunately our live experiences are very different.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:45:00 Mobile | Show all posts
It seems that others have chosen the private school route like myself not merely to seek better teaching but hopefully to ensure a lower number of undesirable characters.
I don't for one minute believe that a private school can fully wrap our kids in cotton......and nor would I want it to as this wouldn't prepare them for the real world where there are nasty people.
However, at least there are greater powers to exclude the genuinely dangerous/nasty ones is there.

I still started my kids on kickboxing with me a few years ago.
Enrolling them in contact sparring competition etc.
So hopefully by 11 they'd have a good few years experience of being hit and not getting shell shock or feeling vulnerable.

My experience of safeguarding at secondary school was hilarious.
All new 1st years were told of the foolproof policy for catching bullies.
Every Tuesday was compulsory chapel.
Everyone had to walk through a narrow corridor wit a 2 way mirror and an "identification room" to keep the informers identity secret
I stood in that room feeling so safe identifying the perps that beat and  robbed me.
When the repercussions came I remember cowering asking what made them think it was me.
"YOU WAS THE ONLY ONE NOT AT CHAPEL FOOL!"
By the end of the term they shut down the scheme

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It was probably more because some of the usual excuses for bullying just weren't applicable. Come from a broken home? So did 80% of us. Didn't have the latest trainers? Neither did 80% of us. Bit of a brain box? Yea, well I got that crap at primary school and my dad taught me exactly what to do. If they weren't embarrassed enough to stop after a verbal put down, the physical one did the trick.

I still believe that the majority of bullying is down to the parents, their upbringing and beliefs shaping their kids' behaviour. I remember my first anti bullying stance at the grand old age of 6. A new kid at school, half Japanese, and a group of kids following him round the playground with taunts of refugee. Now, I had no idea of the meaning of the word, just knew it was cruel behaviour. All it took was me and a friend to take his side, and the group backed off. Don't get me wrong, my dad was pretty much a racist, but always taught me to treat everyone with respect until they proved undeserving (albeit adding 'even the n*g n*gs'), and he was probably who shaped by behaviour the most from a young age (apart from the racism!)
Not sure who made me a political activist at 9 though, although it was fun being front page of the local newspaper (slow news week) after getting Michael Shersby down to my school!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
So Labour want to stop private education! Are they mad! 600k plus children are privately educated at the moment. These children would have to funded by the state and accommodated in already oversized classes.

Is this popularism?Or just the green eyed monster?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
He'll redistribute the wealth / assets of the Private Schools to pay for it

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:45:01 Mobile | Show all posts
It's a crazy proposal.

- seize and redistribute the assets of private schools with no compensation for the owners
- limit universities to only accept the same proportion of entrants as in state and private schools. i.e. only 7% of university entrants can be from private school - this means many private school students will be barred from attending university

This kind of thing should give anyone pause before voting for these extremists.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It's the proposal of a party desperate to deflect attention away from their shortcomings and dodgy leader and onto anything they can.

That proposal will never happen, nor should it. Ridiculous idea.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The big question: will the higher standard of private education, together with education of middle and upper class social behaviour be maintained?

In other words, will the status quo continue?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部