Author: BobbyMac

Ballymurphy Inquest

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 00:54:52 Mobile | Show all posts
History repeats itself.
Even married quarters that violate the Human Rights Act.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:54:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Q & A - Is there a witch-hunt against ex British soldiers? | The Pat Finucane Centre

On the subject of rules of engagement, I think phil t is spot on - if the soldiers have adhered to the ROE then there is simply no case to answer.  However, I would hazard a guess that if cases are proceeding to trial then it probably suggests there is evidence to the contrary.  Perhaps if the alleged maladministration suggested in the link above had not occurred, this could have been dealt with decades ago.

Use magic Report

THAT is the biggest problem.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The present and previous defence secretary says it is. Shall we both Google till we find what views we like for a bit and post some links?
Given how every post you've ever made on here was against the army was an attack, who knew what your view would be?

Do you also agree with Phil T it's one sided?

You want #justiceforshamima while soldiers who live in a capitalist society well it was tough on them if they have to defend themselves decades later from the allegations.

And perhaps this witch hunt is politically motivated. Otherwise why wait till now and not ten years ago. Or ten years before that? Or ten years before that?
And perhaps all sides could also be treated equally then?

Oh.

Use magic Report

Maybe on the basis it might get Northern Ireland's devolved government working after what is it ? Two or three years.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Then the government will legislate or use prerogative power accordingly.  But I think you find all such statements have left open the option of pursuing allegations that are well founded and fair...which is exactly what the criteria should be (noting that fairness applies to all parties including the victims).

I have made no secret of my belief that I think we would be much better off investing a portion of the money we spend sustaining a large standing Army on other national security areas, GCHQ for example, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or my expressed opinion in it.

The link I posted addressed that point:
Q & A - Is there a witch-hunt against ex British soldiers? | The Pat Finucane Centre

As a centre-right liberal, I want a fair and just society for all governed by the rule of law.   

The link I posted addressed the issue of why it is progressing now.​
See the link again.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:54:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Why is this "fairness" only involving pursuing one party?

In fact there's a solution here. Join the IRA. Sing about the black and tans, declare your support. You are supportive of those joining terrorist organisations, Blair would give you an amnesty letter, Corbyn would invite you to the commons so why not?
What "large standing army?" Your previous posts was everything from the army not protecting our airspace! To being resentful of them being funded for body armour.

The army is now over 10,000 less than Napoleonic times. At such a size it barely qualifies as a standing army and is more of a defence force. So what "large" standing army?
Like your neutral, unbiased, posts on Brexit or the monarchy?

The link agrees with your view.
Who enjoyed mocking the Liberal party.
Great. "For all" Not a witch hunt at one. Not an amnesty for terrorists and for the law to act at the time. Not chasing pensioners. Who's been charged for the Birmingham pub bombings?

Families threaten to boycott IRA Birmingham pub bombs inquest

"Lack of legal funding" for them.

It was lack of legal aid for the father of the RMP killed in Iraq but was suing the government.

While Shamima gets legal aid and joined a terrorist group. Still all part of "living in a capitalist society" hey?
Still says the same as it did before. See the views of the present and former defence secretaries.

This is no time to prosecute the perpetrators of ‘Bloody Sunday’ | Coffee House

But there is an obvious and glaring problem – and it is one of simple fairness.

Throughout the decades of the Troubles, paramilitary organisations – terrorists – killed far more people than the British Army ever did. Very many of these deaths are still unaccounted for and unpunished. Few, if any, have any real likelihood of coming to trial now.

Use magic Report

This in a place that doesn't have a government because both sides refuse to talk to each other.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
As you say, justice shouldn't be selective. All killings/murder during the Troubles were investigated, except for those carried out by the state. That's the reason inquests such as Ballymurphy are happening. It's in the interest of fairness, as opposed to the witch hunt some see it as.

My personal opinion is that no soldiers found guilty of murdering an innocent civilian should serve any prison time (the guilty verdict is enough for me), but like the Hillsborough inquiry, I would rather see the commanding officers at the time stand trial instead of the foot soldiers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It doesn’t - see the link I posted.

As always, missing the points being made. Libya and Syria have both demonstrated the issues I highlighted back in 2010 have come to pass. But it is irrelevant for this thread...

No relevance to this thread.

Just because someone is liberal, it doesn’t mean they support the Lib Dems.

The rest of your points have all been dealt with in the link provided.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部