Author: Cliff

Gay Marriage- Did Cameron think this through?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:46:51 Mobile | Show all posts
I wouldn't put it exactly like that.

But have you ever had a look at how big (for example) the Christian Bible is?

Complicated by the fact that it was written in different languages over the course of a thousand years, and contains many different genres of literature.  Sometimes you have literature that's one genre written in Greek quoting a portion from an entirely different genre written in Hebrew, 800 years ago.

And that's before we get into discussions as to view the teachings (Evangelical, Liberal, Catholic) in light of other sources of authority.

Then finally, as we're discussing the CofE, any policy document has to take into account, weigh,  and account for all of the differing factions within that church, putting out a document on which all wings can agree.

Obviously ensuring it stays within the limits of what will be withstood by all the other churches across the globe in the Anglican communion, of course.

You expert enough in all if those areas to comment?

Steve W
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 01:46:51 Mobile | Show all posts
It is not up to us to be experts. It is up to the Church of England to do their interpretation, read all the texts as you say, and then make the decision and release a current policy in plain English .

I believe they have done this in Sonic's link.

In addition, after the governments recent dabbling in this matter the C of E had to underline their thinking and said they would ban Gay marriage in churches.

I think they have been very clear, unless I have missed something?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:46:51 Mobile | Show all posts
You appear to be.

Any policy document may appear 'clear' at face value, but read my comments again and see what's going on under the waterline.

You may actually be right - it's their job to make a clear public pronouncement. But it's a bit like a speech at a political party conference - is it for the faithful listening to the whole thing in the hall, or the swing voters listening to the odd sound bite at home?

And to what extent is the party leader trying to find a policy which the whole party agree on and really want, or one which none would propose but all find acceptable?

Steve W

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:46:52 Mobile | Show all posts
We're getting a bit off topic. This thread isn't about the CofE, it's about DC.

What's the right thing for a PM to do?

Steve W

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Stop trying to appear liberal when along with his party we know he isn't.

Lets remember a large number of Tory MP's who voted against the change in the age of consent for gays are still in the commons.

Use magic Report

How about he is not trying to be liberal, but expresses a stance which lets face it shouldn't even be labelled as a liberal stance. He is not doing that, you guys are doing that

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It shouldn't no, but it is.

He's been attacked by many of his own MP's for doing so and I'm afraid as ridiculous as it is for it to be a liberal position, for a Tory PM it's incredibly liberal.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 01:46:53 Mobile | Show all posts
The right thing to do is to cut through the crap and stop the discrimination...Don't even give the groups a choice, not any of them...This is not just about the CoE, also other religions...Then again listening to LBC Islam declares there are no Muslim gay people so it isn't an issue for them...Oh I love to witness the day of booking that up...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
You are missing the point. You can put Leviticus through the wringer any number of times, it clearly says what it says. It doesn't take much interpretation. Its an inconvenient piece of the Bible. The church regards it as the word of God so who am I to disagree ? They have preached that homosexuality is against the word of God and I offer you the Bible as proof. I don't agree with it, but I'm not the church, the Bible or those who follow the faith which includes that particular passage.

I'm expert to know many things about the Bible and the words, however I don't interpret them the way the church does, neither do I believe they are the word of God.

Like I have said many times, I believe in liberty. Liberty is freedom to believe and express yourself in any way that does not hurt others. I believe that you hurt others at your own risk, but that is a personal choice. Churches and faiths are a step on a ladder a movement towards God. It does not matter that they are confused or make mistakes its just an expression.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
So your saying its a badly written book AND the word of God, maybe alzheimer's set in for the poor dear.
If the COE don't want political interference, then they should stop interfering in politics and remove their contingent within the Lords.

In all seriousness I do wonder how many people are expert in all those areas, and yet feel happy to comment.

The perceived bad guy does something which is almost university seen as a good thing by the people who don't like him and everyone gets suspicious, yet if Miliband or Clegg pushed this through, everyone would think "about time".

Seems to many people are seeing politics as pantomime, and all the characters being 1 dimensional.
He might have a conscience, or maybe its just a cost free proposal to get a boost at the polls during mid term.  
If it works do more at election time, if it backfires do the reverse.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部