The silencing of difficult women

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:30:14 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Interesting article.

The Daily Mail usually comes in for a lot of criticism.

And we have a political leader warning of "change."

Jeremy Corbyn’s ‘change is coming’ warning to the press is chilling | Coffee House

Seems it was the "right wing press" brave enough to run the news of female abuse.

The silencing of difficult women

It is now an acknowledged fact that women staff at Save the Children UK’s Headquarters in London suffered harassment and that their leadership failed them. In its public statements SCF-UK is now all about the implementation of policy reviews and a new dawn and a readiness for root and branch reform. Justin Forsyth, the former CEO, and Brendan Cox, his former number two, have both admitted that they mistreated women. But this stems from a crisis that culminated in 2015. Why is it only being acknowledged now? Why didn’t anyone speak up?

The victims of Cox and Forsyth and their allies didn’t stop at telling peers, senior management and trustees about what was happening. They also went to the media. You might be wondering  why all these stories of harassment and abuse are being broken by the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph—it was the Mail that originally covered Cox’s departure from the charity back in 2015. Why didn’t the complainants go to somewhere like the Guardian? They did.

These victims are not typical Mail and Telegraph readers and they understood that a story about a lack of accountability in an aid organization will likely be followed in those newspapers by calls for less foreign aid. None of the victims support that goal. What they want is aid plus accountability.  

Almost all of the complainants went to the Guardian first. Different Guardian journalists were contacted, but all went quiet. One told me: “I just wanted to say I haven't forgotten about this. Unfortunately the decision to work on the story or not is above my station, so I'm just waiting for a decision either way…” Later, when I asked if they had heard back the same journalist said: “I haven’t unfortunately. It was passed onto powers that be. At the moment it’s looking like it’s not going to run... I presume after some weighing of pros and cons.”

Not only did the Guardian not run a piece about Cox and Forsyth, they actually ran a piece by Cox. This was three months ago. Still I and others kept pressing them. To those affected it looks like some senior media people protect those who are also their personal friends—both the BBC’s Andrew Marr and Sky’s Adam Boulton have publically spoken up for the two men.

Hmm, those on the left keeping quiet when women are abused? Here we go again.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:30:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Perhaps jeopardising any criminal proceedings against these men would have played a factor in the editor’s decision, call that responsible journalism.

Also I see no hounding of victims and the trawling through their history to try and discredit their claims.

And these men have rightly resigned and hopefully any pending criminal investigation will punish them accordingly.

And we have been spared weeks of denial and flippant arrogant comments such as ‘ I just touched her knee in a friendly manner’...

He clearly intends the relationship and influence that the likes of Darce and Murdoch have over political policy here in the UK. It’s why Corbyn uses social media, him his thoughts only, not some hack spinning away like in article above.
And further change is needed, long had the belief these big charities and other organisations such as the UN, have brand and reputation way above the people they are supposedly supporting.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 02:30:16 Mobile | Show all posts
And right on cue. Don’t you love it when the OP immediately gets proven right. Unbelievable, just unbelievable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:30:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Just thought I'd throw this in to show this issue is widespread at not just confined to the left:

The dark truth about sexual harassment in our Armed Forces

"A new study into the scale of sexual harassment in the British Army has found that nearly four out of 10 women had received unwanted comments or been exposed to material of a sexual nature in the past year."

The Telegraph article was written in 2015.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:30:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I think Enki's ongoing issues with connecting his brain to a keyboard may be giving the wrong impression here.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 02:30:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Very generous.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部