Author: la gran siete

Gove wants us to give Queenie a new yacht

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:46:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Either way the running costs would pale into insignificance compared to the money that having a Royal Yacht would actually generate for the country.  Remember, whilst people here and in other 'Western' countries will be all silly about a 'Royal Yacht', it chimes well in many areas where we seek to trade.  Not least many Middle Eastern nations.  Diplomacy, and thus trade, comes in all forms.

Given that the project was never seriously considered actually shows how in touch David Cameron is.  However good for the country, he accepts there is a level of envy that cannot be overcome.  Britain, for the last few years of its existance, is shackled by its own ignorance.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
If you look at the figure above it made £3 billion in about five years. If it costs £60 million and makes it back several times over in business then what's the problem?

As for the cost then you could levy it at anything else we have in the MOD. Why have the Red Arrows? Why have military bands? Why have the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery as they are purely ceremonial. Why have parachute regiments as it is unlikely they will ever be parachuted into battle. Why have guard units round Buckingham Palace why not get Group 4 to do it?

There's a lot of things we could get rid of to save money except there's also a lot of reasons as to why all of the above exist and a lot of them apply to a new ship to carry the Queen in.

Edit:

Oh and Queen a paid member of the crew? She's already paid from the civil list. Would she be being paid again for being on the ship?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
BBC News - Royal yacht idea considered by Cameron

You misunderstand. That is exactly what I mean. She is paid for the work she does for the UK. Which is far too much for a woman of her age.

What the perception will be is that the most privileged family in the land is having a multi million pound yacht for jollies. At a time when the PM is telling everyone to pull in their belts, well anyone bar the rich, it seems rather untimely to say the least.

Now I'm not arguing against it, just playing devil's advocate. My wife has sold photographs to Buckingham Palace on the direct order of the queen. (Oh how I love telling people that one.) She has also photographed other minor royals.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
So the big problem is all down to jealousy again.

I don't deny it. Some people always have a chip on their shoulder over something. I don't think it should involve whether kids have a place to do something worthwhile or businesses may stand a better chance of getting billion pound decisions through.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
oh, I was thinking it'll be like a normal yacht maybe a tad bigger. That thing is huge. That's a ship in my book.

If there ever is another royal 'yacht' it'll cost more than £60 million. I reckon you could double that.

I suppose my opinion has changed a little, I was expecting a hooray henry boat.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:46:34 Mobile | Show all posts
I think it is too simplistic to call it jeolousy. People are being told that their child benefits are being cut, the sick and disabled are being hammered, thousands are being thrown on the dole queue both private and public sector. The country maybe entering another recession.

Let's build a yacht for the queen. Oh oh, Dave. It will just reinforce resentment against this government as to many it will just smack of 'don't do as I do, do as I tell you.'

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
And if it's being built from public money? Why not? If British businesses benefit why don't British buisnesses pay for it?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
'Yachts' are a term for any big private ship:

List of motor yachts by length - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looking down the list there's a big variety and some have sails and some are like luxury cruise ships.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'm always dubious when the term 'politics of envy' is used.  It usually amount to a defense of a lot of money being spent on the very rich.

Free winning lottery tickets for anyone with an Aston.  Disagree?  You're just into the politics of envy!

Amazing that the idea is being floated of a yacht being used to 'drum up trade'.  This appears to be a flexible concept.  If a minister re-decorates an office, used to wine and dine foreign dignitaries, it's seen as wasting money.  If it's spent on a posh boat for the Queen, then that's fine.

Only, or course, it wouldn't be for the Queen, would it.  I mean by the time it'd be built she probably wouldn't be getting out much - the woman is 86 this year, so she'd be nearly 90 by the time it was launched.

So, the question is, do we want a yacht for Charles and Camilla?

And for Harry to host parties for his chums.

Maybe Prince Andrew could use it in a special capacity as Trade Envoy?

Never mind, I think they could get a captain easily enough - I understand Francesco Schettino is looking for work at the moment.

Joking aside, it's politically a bad move, and I don't mean party politics.  As DC has said, we're all supposed to be in this together.  Buying anyone a new yacht, for whatever reason, is not a wise move at the moment.

Maybe by the time William and Pippa are King and Queen (it'll never last with Kate), we'll have enough brass in the coughers for it not to appear too outlandish.

Steve W

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I think some of the reaction to this idea exemplify what is wrong with this country. It is increasingly populated by individualists, who believe in nothing, stand for nothing but an empty, short sighted vision of universal entitlement to mediocrity.

Chaff in the wind. Just chaff in the wind.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部