Author: Cliff

Ofsted closes Christian School

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:13:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't think it was a mistake of Bill Nye to debate Ken Ham, however the way he went about the debate was not up to his usual standards. I've had a lot of debates with creationists over the years, they'll continue to flourish if you give them an opportunity or not.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:13:01 Mobile | Show all posts
they shouldn't be on the same platform, they should just be ignored
- it's like having debate on how babies are made: sexual reproduction vs delivery by storks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 03:13:01 Mobile | Show all posts
A
My little brother was delivered by a Stork. Nothing wrong with that?

Seriously, Creationism is a recent American Import. The school I went to taught us Adam and Eve as part of Bible studies, but it was never supposed to be taken as what really happened. Science and evolution was also taught, and that was factually based on what we know and can be proved.
Point being.. there was no conflict, which the Americans have brought into the equation with Creationism.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:13:02 Mobile | Show all posts
the imported ACE (Accelerated Christian Education)

posted about it in GC last year ...Former ACE school boy Jonny Scaramanga, writes/talks a lot about it (and I understand is also on PhD research and writing a book about it)
BBC News - Life in a Christian 'fundamentalist' schoolFundamental errors with evangelist schooling - Comment - TES
Creationism and the “conspiracy” of evolution: inside the UK's evangelical schoolsPseudoscience I was taught at a British creationist school | Jonny Scaramanga | Science | The Guardian

Use magic Report

Depends on your point of view I suppose.  What other execution devices you are comfortable with on the roof of institutions dedicated to moral instruction?  A guillotine? Electric chair? Gallows?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Quite right.

The symbolism of the cross defines exactly the point you are putting across. It is an execution device and that is why it is prominent on all Christian churches and writings etc.

The other execution devices you mention will do, but Christ was slowly tortured and executed on a cross and that is the whole point of the 'moral instruction'.

Well done.

Use magic Report

Thats a 'moral' lesson you think its appropriate to teach children at a place of education in the 21st century?  

Well done.

And contrary to your idea that secular parents should shut up and be grateful for the benefits of an a la carte school system- quite often parents dont have a choice.  Sometimes you only get a choice of church-aided schools, or secular schools with poor ofsted reports usually due to por funding.  

How about schools stick to teaching, and parents who insist their children be brought up believing in the virtues of blood sacrifice send their kids to church and/or sunday school.  I doubt they'd have difficulty finding the appropriate institutions within easy reach.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
This is an over exaggerated Daily Mail report on the evils of the secular society destroying Christian and British values. Rather than bad schools being closed for being bad schools.

I was brought up C of E and had RE lessons and learnt evolution and science (not that I was any good at it).

I made my own choices as I got older.

My question to all those who are very pro Christian schools, and are up in arms by this closure, were the school uniforms polyester or blends of wool and cotton?

Did they ever serve Cheese burgers or Sausages?

There are a lot of things the Bible punishes which in modern society seems daft or out dated.

Informing children about people and their sexual preference (not behaviour) is designed to show people we are all different, but that it is OK if you have confused feelings as a teenager. It's not something you choose, you are born that way.

I had a gay friend explain it to me one day. I just knew I fancied women. He just knew he liked men, he did not choose it. He just felt like that. The problem is for narrow minded people it seems wrong and disgusting, but really, I might not like the idea of it. Who am I to stop someone else behind their closed doors.

I think a lot of these areas of life are driven by fear.

OK I have strayed a long way off topic, but to bring it back around. If the school is teaching out-dated, hateful (at worst) or patchy (at best) information in a range of subjects then that school (of any faith, or lack of) should be assessed and closed if required.

Ofsted (for all their other failings), would not just rock up, say are you a Christian school. In that case we need to close you.

They do test a very wide range of situations (and I understand not always very well) but it will be larger systematic failing of the school rather than a few kids responses (that will go towards the bigger picture).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:13:03 Mobile | Show all posts
What consistently and continually gets on my wick about this 'British Values' debate is the constant referral  to 'Christianity and Christian values.'
How much of our day to day existence is informed by Christianity.? I have exactly zero Judeo-Christian influence in my life, the days of the week are pretty much pagan in name, as are the months and the festivals that punctuate the year are pretty much also pagan in nature and origin. I, everyone here and pretty much everyone I know are children are of the enlightenment and our everyday existence is filled with, influenced by and dependent on its ideas and subsequent science and technology. Why can't this ACTUAL reflection of our society be what defines us instead of this rose tinted, antiquated and fundamentally incorrect  vision that the politicians keep pushing - it's utter bullsh*t .!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:13:03 Mobile | Show all posts
If religion set the moral standards then surely the same moral standards would have applied 2,000 years ago as they do today as what would have changed if the basis for all eternal morality was already laid down?

Morality is formed by consensus, debate,discussion and rationality. At least this is the case in modern, civilised society. It's only been in the last slither of time that this has been the case once religious doctrine was challenged and in large part rejected. To give religion any credit for our morality or our values is perhaps akin to crediting the arsonist for the pleasing design of your new replacement sofa that you had to buy as a result of the fire.

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部