Dimplex FXL heaters: Help Please!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:10:05 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi All,

We have just moved into a property with Dimplex FXL range electric storage heaters. Having done some research I loosely get how these are supposed to work but I still have some specific questions which I'm really hoping someone on here can answer:

1. I've read conflicting views on how the heaters decide time to start and stop charging. Some places say there should be a timer in or near my meter which I should be able to adjust and others say the heaters will charge during off peak hours without any intervention. Which one is true? I have two readings on my meter which I presume represent the on and off peak circuits. I believe the heaters will have been connected up to the off peak circuit when installed so since my electricity company will only provide electricity on the off peak circuits during the appropriate hours I can be safe in the knowledge the heaters will only charge at the right time on the right tariff?

2. The FXL18N heater in the main bedroom has one dial at the top to control the level of heat emitted. Overnight, I leave this dial turned to the lowest setting (1) but the heater remains medium hot and continues to emit heat which makes the room too hot. My understanding is that on the minimum setting it should turn off or be very slightly warm otherwise there is no way of turning it off! Is there something wrong with the heater or am I missing something?

3. The FXL24N heater in the lounge has two mains switches on either side and one dial on the top, again to control heat emitted. What is the second mains switch needed for on this heater? And should it always be on? Worth noting that when I turn the dial on this heater to the minimum setting I hear a click which I think ensures the heater switches off, unlike the one in the bedroom.

4. The XL6N heaters in the second bedroom and hallway do not have any dials on them, only a mains switch on the wall. How do these work? Do I just turn them on and off using the mains switch as and when needed since there's no dial?

I would sincerely appreciate answers to these questions as I am quite confused on how best to use them for maximum efficiency.

TIA!

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:10:06 Mobile | Show all posts
I haven't watched this myself but it might help:

I know very little about storage heaters other than the fact that there are two main elements:
1. the heater element and
2. the fan

I assume that the heater element is on during economy times and thermostatically controlled to keep the bricks at a steady temperature. Insulation ensures that little heat escapes. When you want heat, you have to turn the fan on. This will presumably be controlled by a room thermostat.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部