12345Next
Back New
Author: Philly112

Solar FIT to be slashed

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 04:17:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Apparently Friends of the Earth may sue the government for cutting the FIT?

Greens threaten to sue over solar 'leccy cash slash ? The Register

Really not sure on what legal basis they can do that.  And as the article shows, the panels aren't really doing much other than robbing the poor to pay the middle classes...
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:17:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Interesting what you can do with spinning statistics and cherry picking.  The UK CO2 emissions are said to have gone up 3.8%, so I assume its the same report as in this article,
Chinese economic miracle fuels surge in carbon emissions
which also states that US emissions went up 4.1% last year.  But they quote a reduction in CO2 from the US over a 10 yr period.

But then
[url=/proxy.php?link=http://rogerhelmermep.wordpress.com/2011/05/30/we-think-were-reducing-emissions-with-our-green-policies-but-were-not/&hash=8ec0014868f6f0d2ea1cfdf6e0973927][/url]

So the UK too has a reduction in CO2 over the same period.

And as I understand it, the Gov are only cutting the tariffs for new installations, thus actually working to reduce the future burden on the poor.

The whole report is so misleading and full of cherry picking and spin, its really rather pointless.  Nothing more than untruthful scaremongering and gobsh*te.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:17:44 Mobile | Show all posts
I didn't comment on the CO2 figures as they aren't really what this thread is about.

In terms of highlighting the poor effectiveness of domestic solar and how they are subsidised by everyone else's bill I thought it made some very valid points.

Let's face it, they are only economically worthwhile due to this subsidy. I'd much rather see bills cut and solar left until it can produce useful levels of energy at an affordable price.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:17:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Was speaking to a fella from the energy saving trust at the weekend, he says it is the free PV panel companies that have ruined the FIT. It was not designed for single companies/people to make tons of money but for individuals to make their homes more energy efficient. The free panels have meant take up was much more rapid than expected and has meant that those behind these schemes are getting very rich indeed....

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:17:45 Mobile | Show all posts
I commented on the CO2 figures solely to point out that the report is more than a little biased.  As such it is easy for critics to tar the whole report with one brush and disregard 'the good bits', on the basis that some of it is obviously spin, so the rest could well be too.  I think most people who have looked at solar panels would agree that without the massive subsidy, there would be no place for them on British roof tops.

I would rather see the bills stay at the same level, but instead of subsidising solar electricity, use the money to actively reduce consumption.  More offers like those we have seen of free rolls of insulation for the loft.  (Or rolls of insulation to sit in the spare bedroom, you know who your are!!)
Subsidise the VAT on first time installations of double glazing, free draught excluders, free hot water tank jackets and pipe laggings,etc etc all that type of stuff.

Reducing consumption benefits everyone.  Lower bills, less emissions, frees up fuel for other uses, [which in turn should keep the price (slightly) lower] and that would help the balance of payments and a raft of other good consequences.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:17:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree with all of that.  The money spent subsidising the middle class with the solar FIT could be much more productively spent elsewhere.

Maybe I'm just irked I missed the bus on 'free' solar panels.  

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:17:47 Mobile | Show all posts
I disagree, reducing consumption will only benefit the energy companies, they will end up charging more and more for less and less electricity the more efficient our homes become. The 30% increases in fuel prices in a single year has completely negated any benefit loft insulation might bring. It seems like a win win for the producers and lose lose for the consumer. Prices are set to rise and rise again and, for me, the FIT is the only cushion against it.
The energy cartel in this country needs to be broken and consumers get a fair price. We are over a barrel in the UK...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:17:48 Mobile | Show all posts
If loft insulation saves 20% of your heat, then your bill is 20% less than it would have been.  How can that not benefit you?  Without it your bill would be much higher.

At least in France, the energy prices are dictated by government.  It has to take account of the rocketing price of gas on the international markets, but they are still very strict with them (in fact the unit price of gas in France is higher than in the UK, because of the UKs much higher consumption).
But electricity is way cheaper.  

What will be interesting is how the market develops over the next few years, with Germany and Belgium both pulling out of nuclear power.  If they find they can't either reduce consumption or afford to generate enough with fossil fuels, then the free market price of electricity could rocket.  Which would hurt everyone except the French domestic customers because the French Gov wouldn't dare expose the french domestic market to that kind of pressure.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:17:49 Mobile | Show all posts
As I said, any saving would be negated by the price increases. In fact in all probability you will be spending more on fuel . The supplier gives you free insulation because it knows it will raise prices - you become more efficient so that they make more profit selling you less gas and leccy..!!!

Of course if you don't insulate your bills will be even worse. It seems we are trying to become more fuel efficient to basically benefit the energy companies.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:17:49 Mobile | Show all posts
I get everything you say other than your obsession with the middle class

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New