Author: Chrisoldinho

Energy saving Light Bulbs

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:24:36 Mobile | Show all posts
.. and they wont save you any energy unless they are in an unheated space or outside. Your heating system will simply put out more heat to heat the rooms and compensate for not having hot light bulbs.

If you think about it you tend to use lights when it's dark (like - Obviously!)  And when its dark you usually want the heating on - except for late warm summer nights (which we don't get many of in the UK.

And if you don't have the gentle background heating from good old fashioned light bulbs you won't be circulating air and ventilating your rooms; especially in those dark little corners.  You'd better get ready for dealing with the mould and odours that'll build up, and get your eyes tested regularly for the bad effects of living with low-energy bulbs.

Turning your room thermostat down even ½ a degree will save you and the planet pots more than buying LE light bulbs.

OK - go ahead and ruin your eyesight; you might save a few watts on those warm summer evenings...  and spend those saved £s on repainting.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

That's a valid point.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I use the Megaman range of light bulbs. They are more pricey than the stuff people buy in Tesco or B&Q*, but I find they get bright quickly and I've never had an issue with the quality of the light either. I got them to cut my electricity bills, having paid for themselves in less than 6 months they seem to be doing the trick. They also come in a good variety of sizes and fittings.

*They do stock Megaman but last time I looked they were still the old versions.

Use magic Report

Thanks for the tip, i'll keep my eyes open for them as i've tried a few low energy bulbs recently and found the light from lamps almost impossible to read by, being more akin to candlelight than anything powered by electricity.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:24:37 Mobile | Show all posts
I find I cant read under them-Ive gone back to normal light bulbs in the front room, also I found they can be noisy if you listen to MW radio as I do ( Gold..)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Generally it is possible to find energy saving bulbs that perform as well as standard, or 'old fashoned' bulbs, with the exception of 'dimming' bulbs. unfortunatly these are going to cost you; like so many things you get what you pay for; last year we kitted our flat out with tescos standard energy saving bulbs and were shocked to find that whilst they give of a steady bright noisless light, they took 3.5seconds to turn on in every light fitting unless you had turned them off within the last couple of minutes.

we eventually tired of waiting in every doorway until it was safe to poceed and decided the bulbs had to go. EDF energy had sent us a couple of energy saving phillips bulbs along the way and this provided a bright instant light that did what you expected a light bulb to do, so decided to replace our bulbs with the same model. these came in at £13 per bulb but have done the job perfectly for well over a year and a half with no bulbs blowing or loosing any noticable quality.

There a couple of points about energy saving bulbs to consider, much of this already raised, altho it can do little harm to condence the information!

If you live in a flat or house that has timer light switches (the kind where you push a button, the light comes on then automatically goes off after 30s~1min) these bulbs will not be suitable, either their reaction time will be to slow or the constant on and off nature of their use will unacceptably shorten their life making them a false economy. the building i work in has chosen to replace timed lighting with LED lighting, though at present this is not sensably viable for home use.

As mentioned these bulbs do not like being dimmed and even though many say they can be, realistically this is to a point; for example between traditional bulb values; for example an equivilant 100w ESB may be dimmed to equivilent 60W or  60w to 40W, but an equivilent 100W will struggle to be dimmed to  40W. it may be worth considering how often you use your dimmer switch? my parents house has one in their living room (the kind where you preset the level of dimming before turning the bulb on) and i would hazzard a gues that mayb twice in the last two years have they used any setting other that that provided by a 60w bulb. if this is your situation then you may not notice the change as much as you think.

The question of false ecconomy rages on; do these bulbs really save you money compared to standard bulbs considering that the good ones cost 40x the price in some instances? does longer life justify the price? this will change from house hold to household and usage levels. it is worth remembering that insentives like australias banning of traditional bulbs and energy suppliers providing free bulbs has little to do with real energy consumption and more to do with meating international green insentives - it is far easier to get everyone using a new type of bulb than a new type of car.

another often missunderstood fact is that cutting down your home eletricity usage will in no way directly impact the carbon footprint  of the country for years - they may tell you that energy saving bulbs allow the same ammount of power to light 3 times as many homes, but the reality is that our powerstations will continue to produce the power, whether we use it or not; we use nearly all of our household electricity in the morning and evening (because we go to work and school) yet the national grid must supply this level of electricity 24hrs a day. the power stations will only start producing less electricity once there has been a long sustatined decline in power usage. the government would like us to use less power so they have to build less new power stations.

that said less power stations do mean less pollution, and energy saving bulbs will save your electricty bill, as well as reducing landfill waste, if we took an average from the bulb manufacurers of the ESBs providing 3x life, then it would be logical to assume that a total switchover would reduce the number of bulbs going into landfill by 60%.

whilst the chemicalls involved may do slightly more damage, on the whole these bulbs are better for the environment than standard bulbs, and it just makes sense for us to consider the impact we have upon the planet, however do not feel overly pressurised into switching, this one comes down to personal choice; they pail in significance to the effect you would have by taking part in a car share once a week, or turning your boiler down 30% (upto a 50% gas bill saving in the winter) or simply sorting out your recycling! we all have to do our little bit, but theres no harm in waiting for this technology to progress as long as we look to what we can do.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
jonny_j22,
I need to point out that you are completely wrong in saying "the reality is that our powerstations will continue to produce the power, whether we use it or not; we use nearly all of our household electricity in the morning and evening (because we go to work and school) yet the national grid must supply this level of electricity 24hrs a day."

Just think about it - where would the energy go if not used?! That's breaking the 1st Law of Thermodynamics! The power stations must continually adjust to our demand for electricity and do so 24/7.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
You can get full spectrum low energy bulbs that offer a 'cleaner looking' bluer light. I've got two in the lounge and one in the hall.
However they seem  a bit harsh for bedrooms.
They are very good for reading.

Androv 32 Watt Screw Full Spectrum Bulb: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I believe other brands are available - i just happened to have an amazon account.
I have no links to amazon or adrov - i'm just a happy customer.

Hope that was of some help.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
they are already taking them away 1 by 1 it started with 100w then they move onto 80w and so on till all gone. They doing 1 a year i think

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:24:38 Mobile | Show all posts
One of the problems I face if I want to change is that many of my light fittings are the type that have 4 or 5 small 40W bulbs.  These bulbs are either small candle or small golfball and have small screw or bayonet - they also run of dimmers and for the most part they are only on low as mood lighting.

To date I have been unsuccessful at finding suitable shape\size LE bulbs with the right fittings (the range of small bayonet is extremely limited).  So even if I was prepared to get rid of the dimmers I can't find the bulbs to fit.

The advice I have been given is that in the future I will have to replace the light fittings.

I wonder if, in these sort of situations, anyone has done an environment\carbon calcuation of

(a) Continuing to use traditional bulbs

versus

(b) Chucking my dimmers and light fittings into landfill, the manufacture of replacement light fittings and switches which I will have to purchase so that I can use LE bulbs.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部