View: 442|Reply: 8

Now I've heard it all.

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 04:25:17 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
                                                                        Inventor paints mountains white to combat climate change

An inventor has set out to paint the peaks of the Andes white in an attempt to combat the effects of climate change.

By Damien McElroy, Foreign Affairs Correspondent

The painters who have already completed two hectares of a planned 70 have been recruited from Licapa village, which depends on the run-off from the mountain for its water

By painting the mountains, Eduardo Gold hopes to replicate the effect of Andean glaciers, which reflect back sunlight and hence heat back through the atmosphere.                                Click to expand...       
Idiots.

The £135,000-project is funded by the World Bank after Mr Gold won a "100 Ideas to Save the Planet" competition last year                                Click to expand...       
Figures. We paid for it in other words.

Inventor paints mountains white to combat climate change - Telegraph

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:25:18 Mobile | Show all posts
From here

DM2009 Project Summary
Project Number: 4311 Booth Number: 85
Saving Glaciers: Artisanal Industry Aims to Stop the Melt and Save Water
ORGANIZATION: Glaciares Peru
FUNDING REQUEST: $200,000
OBJECTIVE: To create jobs in impoverished areas by establishing a sustainable artisanal industry aimed at
slowing glacial melting as a proactive adaptation to climate change. The approach, if successful, will not only
save tropical glaciers from extinction, but may also be able to regrow glacial mass, the most important form
of freshwater storage in the high Andes (and the world). If this approach decreases local (microclimate)
temperatures sufficiently to regrow glaciers, local water supplies will be enhanced and socioeconomic
benefits will follow. (Note that when freshwater stored as glacial mass melts, it constitutes the majority of
available dry-season flow in the region.)
RATIONALE: Increases in global temperatures due to climate change are creating large environmental
changes. One of the most serious is the melting of the world’s largest freshwater reservoirs—glaciers.
Tropical glaciers are the most at risk, as they are located at latitudes where small temperature changes can
have large impacts, such as the loss of the only current source of reliable water supply.
INNOVATION: The project proposes to build a production facility to create a paintable white cover material.
The cover material will then be applied to exposed rock surrounding the glacier, or within recently glaciated
areas, in order to increase surface reflectance (albedo). This, in turn, will decrease microclimate
temperatures enough to stop glacial melting and may even allow for the regrowth of glacial mass. The
project also will attempt to have the change in albedo over a “unit” surface area equated with carbon credits
in order to generate a sustainable source of revenue generation for future project applications.
[email protected]

So, actually its not a plan to save the world, its a local experiment in microclimates to see if the local water supply can be maintained and possibly enhanced for a cost of £135,000 (which seems pretty good value to me)

It is, however most definitely more utter gobsh*te from the Telegraph who seem to have got pretty vitriolic in their adoption of non stories to support their hidden agenda.  It seems they are trying to win Daily Mail readers.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:25:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Are you saying he defrauded the World Bank's "100 Ideas to Save the Planet" contest?

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:25:19 Mobile | Show all posts
No, I'm saying on the scale of things its a tiny little project which, if it works, will have interesting repercussions both locally and globally.

£135,000 quid, a fortnights salary for a premiership footballer or perhaps the price of maintaining water supplies for goodness knows how many people.
Just to put things into perspective.

But if that is too high a price for your tastes, then feel free to say so.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:25:20 Mobile | Show all posts
It's the most ridiculous boondoggle I've ever heard of.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:25:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Why?  Is the thinking behind it fundamentally flawed?

Is that wrong then, or so fundamentally flawed that it isn't even worth trying?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:25:22 Mobile | Show all posts
I guess it's worth a try for the money, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it working.

It seems to me that the mechanism they want to disrupt is warm rocks heating the air which in turn melts the ice.  They'd do this by cooling the rocks.

For it to work, you'd have to be sure that the microclimate is robust enough to cause and maintain a particular average temperature in the face of external influences, eg wind, and that surrounding rock temperatures themselves have a significant influence.

It's a good bit of lateral thinking, though.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:25:23 Mobile | Show all posts
What next, a £100,000 for a rain dance

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:25:24 Mobile | Show all posts
^ LOL. Don't tempt them.

Gosh, they're so environmentally friendly. I wonder how he cleaned the blades.

Primary school forced to turn off wind turbine after bird deaths - Telegraph

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部