Author: aerodynamic18

Pizza Oven thread

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 04:47:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I have no idea however is it a concern there is no left/right support a the front or down the length? i.e. the central pillar does not join with the edge ones (other than at the back).
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:47:02 Mobile | Show all posts
I left it open so there was a decent space to store wood, but I could still create a support I guess if it will strengthen it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Will most of the weight be supported at the edges so effectively be supported on top of the breeze blocks? If so, then as someone with no building experience whatsoever, I reckon you'll be ok.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
As with anything like this, you've got to assume worse case scenario.

Looking at the brick bond, it's not much of a bond. The bricks should be staggered halfway across each brick but that's just one point, going back to worse case scenario again, imagine the extreme force pushing down on those concrete blocks and someone accidentally pushes a wheelbarrow against the corner of a brick with the poor brick bond?

Once one brick has shifted you've created a weak spot and the whole thing could well fall. It's a bit high for its width really plus the bricks look a little like flamingos legs stood there. Imagine how much stronger it would've been if you'd have laid the same concrete blocks flat with the largest face of the brick against the base.

A very quick Google also suggests that the top would be better with a reinforced steel and concrete slab. Constructed using shuttering.

Not knocking your work and if I'm honest, it would probably be OK but is a probably good enough?

It's a tough call with what to do with it to strengthen it. I've half a mind to say block the front off and fill with concrete and rubble. At least it won't topple over then.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Thanks for your time so far guys.
The reasons its as high as it is was due to me wanting it to me roughly elbow height.
This is so I don't have to bend down whilst using it.
The bricks are staggered, but only by 4" as they over-lap with the rear to all connect together.

There is no chance of it being hit with a barrow (I don't have one).
How about if I make the outer walls double skinned and put a cross piece in midway (still leaving space for wood) joining all 3 walls together.

The top paving wont have that much pressure on itself as such as the pressure would be on the 3 (4 including the rear) down sections. I could even get away without a top as the oven itself would create one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
This is the one I am getting and if you look at their base its also on a single course (albeit not as tall as mine).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
If me I would double skin and add an angled retaining wall either side in the middle to stop in going into wobble mode.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:47:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Being perfectly honest my concern would laying them on edge like that.  If no lateral force is applied on the pizza oven you should be ok.  Just don't let anyone lean on it!  The benefit of bricks instead of blocks is getting the suction of the "frog" on top of the brick when laid as in supplier photo with a standard stretcher bond making that structure much stronger.  It also has a very substantial single slab as the platform so the load is being spread evenly (looks like that comes as part of the oven?).

Having said all that, in this position I would still take a chance, when the oven is installed you'll still be able to reinforce if needed.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'm not a builder myself but come from a family of builders, to my eyes it would look a helluva lot more likely to stand the test of time if you removed the top course? Especially if you're putting a heavy load on top.

I'm not being mean here, but I'm fairly sure if my brother came round my house and saw that in the back garden he'd knock it down while I was making him a coffee and call me a ********.

If that was a dry build (no mortar) you could kick it over without any real effort? - that to me would suggest it needs a major rethink.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I sent your photo to a customer of mine, a housebuilder.

His response 'I think it will bear the load, in a vertical plane, but I would be seriously worried about lateral stability. It needs stiffening up a lot - I would fill in the front so that it creates a full box'.

Had a quick chat with him after his reply and he said change the 'M' profile (viewed from above) to an 'A' profile and you should be fine.

hope that helps

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部