View: 315|Reply: 3

Is this Tesco preparing for Jacks

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:06:08 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Most will know that Tesco have announced a chain of supermarkets called Jacks that will compete with Aldi and Lidl.

I have wondered how they are going to stock the stores given that Tesco Extra, Tesco and Tesco Express will be running alongside.  Will they sell some of the same products but cheaper in Jacks.

Anyway, if you shop at Tesco you might have noticed that they are promoting cheap new brands - one of the most prominently advertised is ‘Mollys’, in particular their chocolate digestives for 44p.

I just thought it was a new brand they were trying, in fact I was lured into buying a pack f the Mollys biscuits.

Now Tesco, also have a ‘Basics’ range in plain white packaging.  I’m a bit of a snob, so I don’t buy those and I’m only vaguely aware of them - but in some cases I do - for example the salted cashew nuts are a regular, about the third of the price but I figure “they are nuts, they can’t really be lower quality” - well there are broken ones and not many halfs still joined together - I guess they are the ones that fail the prettiness grade for the ‘luxury’ brand - but they still taste the same.

So today, I went to buy some, but I couldn’t find them.  At first I thought they had discontinued them but then I spotted them in their glossy blue packaging and branded as ‘Stockwell’.

This got me thinking - I wonder if Mollys chocolate digestives are just the old ‘Basics’ marketed with a new brand name.  I don’t know for sure but I bet they are.

And then that got me thinking, is this to make a range of products that can fill their Jacks stores.

If so they have missed the point about Lidl and Aldi, sure their may be some budget brands, but their are lots of good quality unknown brands plus household names too.  If Tesco think they are going to compete with dressed-up ‘Basics’ then they are in for a shock.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:06:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Quiet day?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:06:10 Mobile | Show all posts