View: 266|Reply: 4

ACL reconstruction

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 05:11:57 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
8 weeks ago i was involved in an incident, the result of which was confirmed as a ruptured ACL, ruptured MCL, torn LCL and torn knee cartilage. I was initially told that reconstruction surgery was a must, given my active lifestyle and job. I was told to do 8 weeks pre-hab, which I have done and whilst my leg is getting stronger, the knee still doesn't feel "right".

Yesterday, I went back to see the surgeon, but instead was seen initially by one of his underlings. I was told that surgery was a last resort and that i needed to do another 3 months of physio, to see if the knee would recover sufficiently to avoid surgery. This is a total 180, compared to what they themselves told me only 8 weeks ago.

I asked to speak to the surgeon himself, who then rushed in and did a few tests and then rushed out again (literally 1 minute!), sending a nurse back in to see me with a few forms for a further appointment in 12 weeks time. I didn't see him again after that. I asked the nurse if I could speak again with the surgeons colleague. I asked what were the chances of a full recovery without surgery as opposed to with surgery and all I got back in return was "everyone is different, some people manage without and others don't"  

So, seeing as I got little help advice from the hospital, I thought "where better to ask for expert advice than on an AV Forum" So here we are....Has anyone any experience of a ruptured ACL/MCL/LCL etc. Who has had surgery and what was the result? Who opted not to, and how has that ended up?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:11:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Had 3 ACL due to rugby league (Halifax fan). I've always had the op. I'm 44 now last op was 5 years ago. If you want to be able to do anything active get it done. Even things like stepping off a kerb and the knee goes if you don't have it done worried me. Running round gardens with kids etc. Op is easy part, rehab is a long process, 6 months ish. I've done 5 marathons and some triathlons since.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 05:12:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I went back for a further appointment this week and saw the surgeon himself this time. He did his usual tests/checks, asked me what I do for a living again and then, without hesitation, said I needed an operation! We spent about 30 minutes going over options and we have settled on him doing a repair on the MCL and cartilage and whilst I’m under anaesthetic, he will see what condition the knee is in and will more than likely do the ACL reconstruction at the same time, if he thinks it will benefit me. My scans show a bit of arthritis in both knees and he explained that an ACL reconstruction can make this worse, so he wants to see exactly how bad things are before he makes a decision. Worst of it is that he can’t operate until May 2019!!!!!!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:12:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I have no idea why the hospital is telling times it and see if your knee improves. It's impossible without surgery.

Also this rehab is pointless,if he repairs your acl he will paralyze your quads and have to learn how to walk again.

I'd get all of it repaired if ideas you
Good luck

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:12:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Terrific injury! You must be in horrible pain. Working for physio some time ago, I have seen very good ACL repairs. One was acting gymnast, who had it done almost 15 years ago and another football player who is still professionally active. How is your knee now? Any improvement?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部