View: 338|Reply: 4

Non-Teflon non-stick cookware recommendations?

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 05:18:10 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
We're looking to replace our old Teflon coated pans with something which doesn't have the reported issues with Teflon and high temperatures .  Was looking at the Greenpan ceramic type cookware but realise there are quite a few makes out there who do "non-teflon" cookware.

i.e  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MS3BUTR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations for this type of cookware?  Thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:18:11 Mobile | Show all posts
all pans are non stick when used correctly. in the past have used tefal,prestige and le creuset tri wall ss and cast iron. the best ive found to use are de buyer mineral b pans.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:18:12 Mobile | Show all posts
It depends on what you're looking for as you have (at least) three options: stainless steel, carbon steel, and cast iron.

(I've no experience with titanium coated or ceramic pans.)

Stainless steel
Get the pans that have multiple layers with an aluminium core or a core made from a better conductor than SS.  Oven safe, easy to clean, no need to season, non-reactive - if you have the money, I'd say this is the easiest option.

Demeyere reputedly make the best SS pans but come with a price to match.  I've used All-Clad - they ship to the UK via Amazon USA - and they're very good.  Tramontina is a budget brand with a great reputation but I can't find a retailer that ships to the UK.   

Carbon steel and cast iron
Both materials have similar properties - they retain a lot of heat, require seasoning for a patina on the cooking surface, will rust if left with water on, are much cheaper than quality SS pans, and they're reactive so watch out when cooking acidic foods in them for a long time.

The main differences are usually in form and weight.  Cast iron pans are thicker, heavier and usually have straight(er) walls.  Carbon steel pans are lighter, have flared walls and have longer handles.

I have a Lodge cast iron pan and a De Buyer Mineral B pan.  Both are excellent.

Seasoning carbon steel and cast iron
These pans work better when a very thin film of oil bonds to the cooking surface.  This takes a lot of cooking and time to complete.

For carbon steel, the pan starts out as grey and will eventually turn black.  In my experience, this isn't a uniform process with some parts darkening faster than others.  Not the option if you like pans to always look pretty.

This Youtube video is the best explanation I've found for seasoning.  The technique works for both cast iron and carbon steel.  You don't need a wood fire - a hob will do.

Wash, scrub and dry your new pan, and then start from around six minutes in.  (The bit before is the guy cleaning an old pan.)  Near the end, he puts a lot of oil into the pan - I usually skip that part.

Cooking temperature
For all of the pans above, especially with stainless steel, remember to bring the pan up to a high temperature before adding your oil/fat.  Once the oil/fat is added, you can then bring the temperature down as needed.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 05:18:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Mmmm.  Not sure we want to spend time to season stuff!  We have trouble just washing up!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:18:13 Mobile | Show all posts
you only season the pan once. when done clean up is just a wipe out with paper towel and put away.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部