View: 549|Reply: 11

Home Gym - The Small Build

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:23:50 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm finally getting around to converting the rear portion of my garage into a Gym.

I've pretty much cleared it out to make the space and decided on the equipment I'm going to purchase which is the following:
Barbarian Line Warrior Power Rack with Lat Attachment selectorised weight stack. The spec looks great with heavy-gauge steel frame which is 75 x 75 x 3mm thick. The total capacity of the rack is a whopping 650 kg and importantly it has 27 height adjustments for Lift-Offs/ Safeties, with 50mm steps for correct positioning.Barbarian Line Warrior Adjustable BenchWarrior Olympic Weights TreeBody Power 160kg Deluxe Rubber/Chrome Olympic Weights Set.Firstly I need to level the floor which currently slopes back to front, then build a stud wall so I still have some general garage storage at the front. I plan to create a lifting platform using some 15mm rubber mats I've had for a while and plywood the rest, maybe topped with a very thin carpet.

This is the current plan (Black is mats, White is plywood and Grey is the rack):

Something I could do with some advise on is the lighting. I want to replace the fluorescent strip with an Ultra Thin LED light panel, but I'm not sure what temperature, or how many lumen's to go for?

I'm sort of edging towards getting this: LE 36W LED Panel Light, Equal to 80W Fluorescent Bulb, 2700lm, 4000K Neutral White, 295*1195mm, LED Panel, Ceiling Light: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting
which is 2700 lumens which from what I can work out seems fine for the size of room, and it's a 4000k Neutral White, but can't decide on Neutral/Natural (4000-5000k) or Cool White (5000-6500k), any ideas?

I'm hoping to get the build work completed next week and equipment ordered this weekend.
If people are interested I'll post up some before, during and after pictures as things progress.

Any advise or suggestions gratefully received.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:23:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Good idea but wouldn't this be better in GC, it's like a grave yard in here most of the time.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:23:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah it is a little quiet around here... I did put a post in GC with a link to this post, to try and get some advise on the lighting, but gave up waiting and took a punt on a 1200mm x 300mm, 3400 Lumen, 6000k Cool white LED panel from Light Rabbit. I also added a dimmer driver in case it is too bright and ends up feeling like an operating theater.

No work has started yet, so completion this week is looking unlikely. Hopefully we'll make a start this week and maybe finish it next week. I've not ordered the equipment yet as I can't really have anything arriving before the room is ready although one item is out of stock anyway.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:23:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Would love a set up like this. I've informed my girlfriend it's happening and she didn't oppose! Just need a bungalow with garage now.... Following this thread for future reference. Good luck with it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:23:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Better late than never, work had finally started!

This was the mess I had allowed to build up which has taken me months to get around to clearing out:

The first job once it was cleared was to build a stud wall to retain a small amount of garage space and to level the floor out:

I decided on this light in the end in Cool White with a dimmerable driver:
40W Ultra-Slim LED Panel Light - 1195 x 295mm

Now the building is finally underway, I can also order the kit!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:23:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Quick update.

Almost complete...
Took these photos earlier today. Light fitted, flooring done, wall up and all walls painted.

Painted the skirting this evening and cut the mats ready to install once the paints dried.

The carpet tiles arrived a few days ago, all the weight plates arrived today, but I've not opened them yet. The mirrors arrive tomorrow and power cage, bench and weight stand should arrive any day.

I can't wait to get training!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:23:56 Mobile | Show all posts
The room is complete (almost!).

Installed the mats this morning and laid the carpet tiles. The mirrors arrived, but unfortunately one of them was slightly damaged so had to go back. I won't get a replacement until next Friday, but hung one of them that will go behind the cage and put the J channels up for the replacement one when it arrives.

Chased up the cage/bench/weight stand and still not arrived yet, though I know it's at the local couriers.

I also need to do something with the electricity cupboard. I have the door for it, but the hinge bolts broke off, so need to sort out a replacement.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:23:58 Mobile | Show all posts
This may take some time...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:23:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Gym is finished!

I need a rest day now after building this lot on my own.

This power cage was quite expensive, but it is commercial grade and my God it's well built:

Chin-up bar and extra front safeties:

Dip bars and lat weights:

Bench, various lat handles, collars and dumb bell bars:

Weight tree, weights and extra Olympic bar:

Motivational poster:

Today is a good day to workout!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:23:59 Mobile | Show all posts
@Showoff fantastic room mate, top quality equipment too. I'm really pleased for you mate!

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部