Author: GuitarGuy

Panorama BBC shocked me big time......

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:26:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Brilliant video, really puts this method into perspective.

How is everyone doing with this btw?
I managed 23 hours yesterday, and today I feel over the moon. I had breakfast around 11:30 and am still not hungry.
Also, at the gym today I felt as though I could just keep going and going, not at all lethargic or sluggish. I have a feeling it has some thing to do with less food/extra weight in my body.
I just feel so much better overall.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:26:32 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm doing the 5-2 fasting even though I am not overweight, but for the other health benefits. It's week two, and in my second fast. The first fast went well, although I did experience a headache and pressure behind the eyes - but I doubt this has anything to do with it! I did feel a little restless/fidgety though.

Generally, I only eat two full meals a day anyway (I skip breakfast), although I do usually like a latte in the morning, and cups of tea with milk throughout the day. Don't believe the nonsense about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. It is about what you eat over weeks, rather than hours that is important. But obviously, if you do a lot of manual work, you might prefer a big calorific breakfast. Each to his own.

When fasting I choose to skip the evening meal. Yesterday I had a small snack in the evening because I felt some pangs, and probably hadn't eaten my quota at lunchtime.

Having never calorie counted, I am struggling a bit in knowing what amounts 600 calories. But I am trying to take into account things like mugs of tea.

I think there is a lot of misinformation about calories anyway. I was shocked to learn that a small grainy health bar was 120 calories! Which got me thinking about the difference between digested calories and actual calories. It turns out that some foods are terrible, with 100% of the calories being fully digested, with others providing a lot less calories than the label would suggest. For example, chocolate would be entirely metabolised into calories, but a bag of nuts might result in 25% less calories. Generally, cooked/processed foodstuffs and those high in sugar, salt and fat, should be avoided - irrespective of the calories on the labels. Salads, raw, lean, unsweetened foods are better, when watching calories. For example, there is estimated to be 50% less calories in a raw egg (when digested) than in a cooked one! This is simply because it is easier for the body to digest, at the molecular level.

I had no idea that calorie counting was this complicated, but it may contribute to why some people on calorie controlled diets consistently fail.

Recently, I also heard that exercise levels have little to do with weight/obesity - and the arguments were pretty convincing. The research was suggesting it was all down to the food we ate (avoid starch, glucose, and carb-rich foods). We've all been brainwashed into thinking it is all about fatty food, and buying products that are "fat-free" - and thinking that they are healthy. But sugar and potatoes are fat-free too! There is nothing wrong with exercising for health benefits (it's encouraged!), but it's the diet that is the main factor. Anyway, that all seems to align with my own personal experience.

It would be nice if we could easily monitor our blood levels. I know my cholesterol was slightly above the recommended level last year (although below average). It would be interesting to know what effect fasting was having on this, and my IGF-1 levels. I have started weighing myself, to make sure I'm not losing too much.

On the willpower front, I've not had difficulty. But prior to this, I was already aware of not eating until you feel "full". That just means you are "stuffed" and probably over-eating. You should generally be aiming to eat enough, rather than feeling full. I also believe that consistently eating until "full" expands your eating capacity, and makes you want to eat more each time. But this is just a theory. I am also aware that there are remote tribes that deliberately eat 80% less than full, for cultural reasons. Research has shown they live longer, perhaps by as much as 20%, compared neighbouring tribes with similar genetics, lifestyles and resources. This suggests a real connection between longevity and calorie restriction.

I was quite surprised that the Panorama programme was advocating fasting, quite so blazingly, without much in the way of any health warnings. I wonder if there are any unforseen consequences? For example, nutritional deficiencies that might arise in some cases, or elevated levels of something else. At the very least, it's difficult to consume your recommended 5-a-day in just 500/600 calories. It seems to me that the long-term consequences might not be very well understood, yet.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:26:33 Mobile | Show all posts
im looking in to the 16hr fast 8hr feed style. Ive read that other people have had good results so might be worth a shot.
Ive done the whole little and often approach for ages and i dont see the harm in switches , plus the idea of cramming 3500 cals in to 8 hours seems interesting !
i always work out between 7 - 9 pm pm so would fast from 10 pm till 3pm . eat then eat again after training . id have  small ish meal at 3 1500 cals or so and the bulk of my daily intake coming after training.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:26:34 Mobile | Show all posts
One point he did make which is very true is that when you're fasting you aren't constantly hungry. The hunger pangs come in waves, maybe 3 times a day depending on the person and they don't last long. Also initially you'll feel it more but the more you fast the easier it becomes.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:26:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Might give it a try in two weeks.
Today I've gone crazy eating the following

2 x banana
4 x chicken satay
1 x small chicken tikka wrap
Sweet potato with beef casserole
Bag of peanuts
Small pack of tesco salmon "sushi"
Snickers bar
Mars bar
Oat biscuit
3 litre of water

Still to come

Shepherds pie made with sweet potato

I should point out that I've been and am normally very very strict with my diet , over the past two weeks I've given up milk, tea, coffee and bread.
Today was just crazy. I've been going mental in the gym over the past week lifting weights at points twice a day as well as my martial art and fitness classes. Plus I'm half way through a cycle of pro hormones and they make you eat like crazy . God i feel fat !!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
By Pro hormones do you mean anabolic steroids???

Use magic Report

i mean pro hormones. pro mag 35 from dragon nutrition to be precise. you say tomato i say tomato !

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Not about to start making judgemental comments on this as its your body. I'm sure you realise that they are hepatoxic (liver damaging). Hopefully you are taking milk thistle or something similar alongside to counter that?

Back on topic. I'm on day 4 and everything is still going well. I've generally been fasting between 8pm - 2pm (18 hours) with a 6 hour feeding window.

My BMR is 2228 calories/day and I would say I'm definitely under this, especially as I've had minimum carbs, no processed or sugary foods and loads of fresh salad and veg. My diet is currently the cleanest it's ever been and whilst it's early days it seems to be all im wanting and really satisfying.

One thing I have noticed is how slowly I'm eating meals compared to before. My body also seems to be telling me that I've had enough when I'm half way through (even after a 16 hour fast) I'm not feeling any hunger pains whatsoever.

I will take all my measurements and weight again on Tuesday (1 week in). I will also resume exercising then as well to see if there is any difference in how I feel and what and when I need to eat.

Use magic Report

they pass through the liver twice. I've had bloods taken before and ill get them done after. i haven't had alcohol in nearly a year. i take a liver protection sup. generally there are very few risks and some great benefits. this is probably for another thread .

Use magic Report

What's the difference between fasting 8pm-2pm or simply not eating breakfast one day? They sound the same. Serious question.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部