View: 445|Reply: 7

Hit a weight loss wall, at a heavier weight

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:31:27 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi Guys, hoping for some pointers. I was quite overweight some years ago but lost a fair few stone to get to my ideal weight, about 83kg at 6ft, I managed that with a strict healthy diet, zero booze and cycling to work.

Since then I learnt to treat myself and live a more balanced lifestyle, eating pretty well, still cycling but could enjoy a few beers or a treat perhaps once a week and usually stayed at about 85-87kg which was the ideal weight to lifestyle balance for me.

I have had a couple of times where my weight has gone up and down a bit, I tend to get a bit cocky after a year or so and relax a bit and a few kg creeps up on me, I tone done the bad things and can get back pretty quick.

More recently due to a few personal issues I lost a lot of weight, really lost my appetite. Since I've passed through those issues my appetite came back and I put on significant weight fast, at 94kg I thought I'd consciously address the issue and started eating better but my weight has kept creeping up and I'm 105kg now and feel this isn't with line of my lifestyle going by previous experiences. I'm cycling and walking as usual, cut out rubbish like noodles in favour of boiled eggs on wholemeal toast etc.

I just feel like my metabolism has hit a wall and the same changes I usually make aren't having the effect I'd like. I know what a healthy diet is, try and keep active and am 33.

Do you have any tips to kick start things a bit? Thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:31:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Up the exercise and make sure your diet and water intake is on point. I actually found strength training (weights of 85% of my 1 rep max for 5sets of 5 reps) put my metabolism into overdrive.
Downside was I ate everything in sight and it not handled strictly then total fat percentage goes up along with total muscle mass and strength.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:31:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Truth is, it is harder as you age. I study the fat content and calorific value of virtually everything I eat now. I have vices (peanuts and alcohol mainly) and I do cardio classes three times a week. Additionally I work out at home and try to run at least once a week. But even then, I just about manage to maintain an equilibrium.

Do you run? I'd give it a go if you can. And try to sign up for some cardio classes also.

There is no magic that I know of. It's a war of attrition and you just have to do more of the right things and less of the wrong.

I was grossly overweight and could walk no problem. It really didn't make much difference to me. Running did I think. All you need is a decent pair of running shoes and the inclination.

The most important factor is getting your mind straight. Be determined, not obsessive. Don't focus on results, but putting the work in. It will come off and it has more chance of staying off if you do it slowly. It's really a change of lifestyle, rather than a correction. Good luck and keep us posted

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:31:30 Mobile | Show all posts
I might try a gentle jog here and there, I've always found it really tough though. Even when I was fit and playing rugby I found running tough. I think jogging 100m now and I'd be feeling it even if I can cycle hard for the duration.

I heard on Radio 4 that the benefits of running plateau sharply at 5 km, I'd love to get to that sort of distance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:31:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I still find the first few minutes to be really tough, then it starts to get easier as you get into your stride. I'm no runner, but I can push myself. I have a decent fitness now and have lost weight, so it is easier than it was. I used to do a particular course regularly and had to stop around six times initially. It was a great day when I got round without stopping. Now I breeze it!!! Really it gets easier the more you do it, like most things. But have the right footwear - I nearly crippled myself with fashion footwear, because I didn't see the point in spending the money on proper running shoes. Now I see.

You mean plateau, as in don't get any better? Or sharply better?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:31:32 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm not certain but think it was a fitness thing, obviously you'll keep burning calories but unless you need to burn off excessive amounts I think it was general health benifits. I'll see if I can find it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:31:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I can see that if you can do 5k, chances are that anything more would not really tax you.

The law of diminishing returns in action I guess.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:31:34 Mobile | Show all posts
If you spend more than three days in caloric defecit your body will slow down your matabolism. Eating to calorie expenditure is not enough to stop your metabolism slowing down, without doing any exercise you should eat about 21 calories per pound of morningbody weight or 20 per night body weight.

This will jolt your matabolism, hormone levels back into whack and will swing you straight from a catabolic state which promotes hormone release of things like cortisol, to an anabolic state which promote growth hormone. This will stop platteaus and stop rebound weight gain. It will also stop muscle loss and promote fat breakdown.

At your weight I would eat about 3000 calls per day Sunday to Tuesday, while burning about 1000 calls through exercise each day. Then Wednesday I would eat about 5000 calls without exercise. Then Thursday and Friday back to 3000 calls plus, 1000 cal burn, then Saturday back to 5000 calls with no burn.

Don't worry if it seems like the first week you seem to gain weight, it's just your body readjusting your hydration levels and stored carbs etc. after two weeks you should see the pounds start to fall about about 1- 1.5 pounds per week. Just make sure you eat lots of complex carbs and protein. White flours are complex carbs btw, anyone who says they aren't are talking rubbish.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部