View: 680|Reply: 11

Healthier eating advice...

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:55 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Long story short, I'm woefully unfit, have lost weight recently and am now trying to keep it off while introducing some exercise into my life. Joining a gym isn't really an option as there is a high likelyhood I'm going to have to move in the not too distant future and the gyms nearby are all yearly membership only. Have been doing half an hour on wii fit u just to be doing something, walking for 30 minutes when I'm at home, have just started out on the couch to 5k thing and planning on restarting cycling, but have a feeling I'm not eating enough/correctly. The first Couch to 5k session felt like hell, managed to complete all but one of the jogging sessions, hoping this will get easier.

I'm 5'11, stocky, and weigh 14 stone, have been up and over 16 stone in the not too distant past. Would like to lose a little more, maybe down a stone, but in reality I just want to get fit/fitter and have more energy. I'm currently having a smoothie for breakfast (5-6 frozen strawberries, a banana, half an avocado and either yogurt or alpro almond milk), should probably add some more greenery there. I'll have a granola bar and a portion of couscous at work, drink plenty of water, a couple of cups of tea, and then various different things at home for dinner. Have been trying to stick to salads, salmon, chicken, eggs, but occasionally have some pasta. I've been counting calories but it seems to be coming in at around 1500 calories a day, and while I am losing weight slowly I feel knackered. Any advice or recipes I can use for meals at home/work?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:56 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm 5' 11" and was 13 stone when I decided to get fitter and lose weight. I'm now down to 11 stone.

I tend to stick to 1500 calories a day myself. The MyFitnessPal app reckons I should lose weight faster than I do in reality now. I think my body must have adapted to need less calories (metabolism slowed).

I started out exercise-wise with You Are Your Own Gym and still do that (strength training exercises you can do anywhere). I lost weight and got fitter quickly doing YAYOG.

I now do karate also. I'm not a fan of running as I don't want the physique of a marathon runner.

Your breakfast smoothie sounds good - but I'd ditch the bananas. It is good to replenish your blood sugar level first thing though. Also, eat avocados everyday.

The thing that had the biggest / best impact for me weight-wise was stopping eating grains or flour. No pasta, pizza, cereals or bread. Instead of a bacon sandwich with two rashers have 4 rashers of bacon.

Nowadays I eat more eggs, bacon, sausages, chicken, fish. The fish is covered in batter from the chippy I aim for 120grams of protein a day, the rest as much fat as I can and the least carbs as I can (most of my carbs are from fruit or sweet potatoes).

Food wise it might be a good idea to ditch the more processed food and stick to meats.

I'm not as clean eating as I used to be, I eat Carb Killa bars, protein shakes etc. That might also be an option for you if you struggle eating enough protein.

One last thing, make sure you get lots of sleep!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:57 Mobile | Show all posts
If you have not done much running or come from a running background then the first few sessions on the 5k plan are going to feel very tough. Just stick too it and it will get easier.
I would have almost the complete opposite advice to the above in terms of eating and that would be to have something like porridge in the morning to give a slower release of energy during the day. Also 1500cals is quite low especially if you plan on doing exercise hence I would up that closer to the recommended daily intake for an adult male and then use the exercise to give you your calorie deficit in a day.
You will lose weight if the calories you take in are less than the calories you are using during the day. I am not a great believer in all this no carb diet stuff either. Eat well and a sensible amount with a reasonable amount of exercise and you will get fitter/healthier. Make the changes that you are going to make ones that you can live we i.e. change your lifestyle and not do things just to lose weight.
I am fairly lean but eat loads of carbs (including sweets, chocolates and biscuits etc.) although I am currently doing a lot of cardio exercise each week so may not be the 'normal' test case. Which shows that carbs do not have to be the enemy.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Well if you want to lose a stone that's 49,000 calories.

My 12 mile bike ride this morning probably burnt about 300 calories.

So trying to burn off a stone with exercise alone might take some time.

I suppose a 12 mile bike ride everyday for 6 months is one way.

Personally I'd eat less carbs and more protein and keep on a calorific deficit in addition to exercise.

I find protein much more satisfying than carbs, I simply don't feel full when eating eating most carbs on a cal to cal basis.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Burn that many cals in a month or less. Just do not see the need to demonize carbs. A balanced diet with exercise is the best way to lose weight AND be fit/healthy IMHO. Many ways to skin the cat but simple equation to put less in than you use without going into massive deficit and you will lose weight. I do not have that bslanced a diet but still keep weight off and stay healthy.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I think we agree more than we disagree but you do know janomin is unfit so suggesting burning 49,000 calories of exercise in a month is pretty bonkers imho.

I have home made veg soup whenever I want. It's mainly the grains/flour I found to be most beneficial to restrict for fat loss.

It does depend on the body goals though, I also eat more protein to aid with muscle building (or at least minimise muscle loss).

I'm aiming for 14% body fat 40% muscle. I was 28% bf when I started and am now around 16% bf. My measurements are purely fron the digital smart scale I own.

Janomin, another great exercise idea for you might be swimming as it uses quite a lot of muscle groups and both upper and lower body.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I would agree on the swimming and would certainly not recommend my regime as a good place to start for someone just looking to lose weight and be a bit fitter.
I am certainly at the one extreme of the spectrum but I see removing entire food groups as another extreme and hence would not recommend that either. I think a do more and eat less is the way forward.
I am training for endurance sport hence my regime while my wife is currently working towards Bikini Fitness type competitions so has a completely different regime hence I feel I can see both sides to some degree. Now she has not cut out carbs entirely but as measured portions frequently during the day i.e. she will have 100g of rice with veg and salmon /turkey. She then does a fair chunk in the gym but only low levels of cardio. The fat is dropping off her and she is building muscle.
I suspect the OP just needs to learn portion size control and get a little more active (by whatever method they like). This needs to be done in a way that it becomes part of their everyday life and not something they are doing to lose weight. That way the weight will come off and stay off.
Janomin: Are there any sports or activities you used to like to do or watch? Maybe get involved in one of these. Although it can feel daunting when you are maybe on the larger side and unfit I have found most sporting clubs to be very inclusive. For example people often look at triathlon clubs as not something they could do but most are some of the most inclusive clubs I know. People think they need to be fit to join but that is far from the truth and I have seen people who have not exercised in years be welcomed into the club and the club help them to reach their goals. I have seen the same thing in rowing clubs etc. as well. So get out there and find something you love to do and the rest will look after itself.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:32:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I'd love to be able to go swimming but unfortunately it's not an option, the only places with a pool near enough to me are gyms, and your looking at £70  a month with a 12 month contract, something which at the moment I can't afford when I may not be in my house in three months time and I have the potential of some nasty solicitors fees and moving costs, but that's another matter entirely. I'll have to concentrate on free/cheap options as far as exercise go, which is why I'm taking up running, doing half an hour on wii fit u in the morning (gets me moving at least!), making sure I walk a couple of miles the days I don't run and dusting off the bike to break up the routine a bit. A couple of friends are talking about joining the local 6 a side league for a bit of a laugh so I may well join in on that, at the moment though I am just starting out so I'd I've kinda got it into my head that I want to be able to run a mile before I jump into anything properly daunting. I think I'll be happier when I can complete the first weeks course on the couch to 5k thing comfortably.

I'm not planning on completely cutting out any food groups, I love my bread too much for that, I'm just cutting down on things and making sure I'm eating as healthily as possible. I work from home once a week at least so I'll tend to have something like poached eggs on toast for lunch then rather than a salad or couscous. Portion control is how I've got to where I am now, I am a big eater so it's always a bit of a struggle, helped now that I'm only cooking for myself, my appetite is now much smaller, it's only when I'm bored that it becomes hard work as I tend to eat when I've got nothing to do. I'm looking for some meals I can prepare in advance so I can chuck them in the fridge ready to go, otherwise I usually reach for the pasta/pizza type things as it's quick and easy if I'm in a rush.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
My wife has loads of food in the freezer pre prepared. So she has bags of 100g of rice, other bags with the different meat amounts (depending which meal she is having will depend on how much protein to have) and veg ones too. She then just gets out what she needs and heats it up. She will then cook the rice etc. in big batches.
It sounds like you have identified your trigger points/issues and dealing with them hence keeping on the current path you are on seems a sensible option.
Where do you live btw since I am surprised there are no local authority pools etc. available for use.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:32:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Just outside Reading. There are a couple in the centre and other side of town but they are all a nightmare to get to. There is a local fitness centre I've just found which has a pool, and is coming in at a decent enough price, full monthly gym membership is £35 which I don't mind paying, looks pretty small/shabby though so will have to take a look. I guess my main issue with gyms is that I'm not convinced I'll make use of it more than anything.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部