View: 416|Reply: 5

Recommend a new bike - hybrid?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:33:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm looking for a new bike which will be used on a mixture of road and trails though not rocky trails as such. Am I right in thinking a hybrid bike would be best for my needs?
I'm 5'10 with an inside leg of 32", what frame size would be recommended?

I'll probably look towards a lightly used bike with a budget of around £500 but would probably extend it a little if I choose to buy new.

What would give me the best value for that kind of money?

I've recently started a little biking again whilst I rest a troublesome knee from running and realise that it will more than likely add value to my running for the future. I'm currently using a Giant mountain bike which I bought around 18 years ago so I guess I'm ready for an upgrade!

Thanks in advance for any advice at all.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:33:08 Mobile | Show all posts
I am on the same boat. Started cycling again two weeks ago after about 20 years of never being on a bike. Started cycling to work some days (14 mile round trip) and getting in to it. Borrowed an old mountain bike just now but thinking mountain or hybrid will be the way to go.

Any fellow bikers on AVF?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:33:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I've been doing some looking and have come to the conclusion that a cyclocross bike would be most suitable for me as it seems to be the best of both worlds. Capable on trails and good on roads, especially with the dropped handlebar.

I've singled out two up to now but may wait a month or two until the Tour De France and see if there are any sales or discounts.

Boardman CX Comp Bike

Cannondale CAADX 105 Disc 2016 Cyclocross Bike | CYCLOCROSS BIKES | Evans Cycles

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:33:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Having read your first post I was about to recommend looking at CX bikes but looks like you have already beat me to it.
I have taken my CX bike over some fairly rough stuff and although you have to be a more careful than you would on a mountain bike it is surprising how good they are.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:33:11 Mobile | Show all posts
The main discussions on the subject can be found in GC : The Cycling Thread

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:33:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Just started cycling again after roadworks outside work means a 15 min drive turned into an hour and a half.

Bought a cheap Decathlon bike 2 years ago and barely used it, last week the pedal fell off and stripped the threads out the arm ... doh!

anyway bought a new bike in the hope that having spent that much money on it i would be more inclined to use it, went for the Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, was going to go for the standard Crosstrail but wanted disc brakes, because ... well just because, then finding out they did the model up, the sport disc, in orange so had to go for that.

I'm well chuffed with it, my only gripe so far would be the handlebar seems a little thin, but sturdy nonetheless, im 6ft1 and went for the XL frame, just because the handlebars are higher and the L would have meant the natural position was looking slightly down towards the floor due to the lower handlebars, but it was borderline, if your 5ft10 then L would probably be ideal.

my local shop, Hargroves currently have 25% off Specialized

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部