Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:30 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
..... It's not a simple as that!

Hi guys,

Bit of back ground first,
I had tried all kinds of diets and healthy eating plans, I joined a gym several times but found it hard to stick to anything. And yes I know the gym isn't ment to be easy, that's not really what I mean by that. What I mean was there was always something else I had to do instead, se with food, I was always in a rush or something so convenient food was chosen and I got myself into a mess. Obviously these were just poor excuses for not going to the gym and for eating crap. I even asked got advice on here before and although I got good solid helpful advice it didn't last long either. This had been ongoing for over 10 years, with weight gradually creeping on.

So fast forward to June this year, I had a gastric bypass carried out.

Now I understand there will be mixed views on this and that's fine, everyone is entitled to there own opinions. But I do honestly feel that unless you have had it that it's not really easy to pass judgment.

Anyway I weighted 26st 1/2lb on the 2/6/2014 which was the day before I started my 2 weeks of milk and jelly only before my op.

I now weight 21st 12.5lb, so it's certainly working.

One if the concerns with this surgery is getting enough of the right kind of food into your body, as my stomach is now the size of an egg you can see why this might be hard. Along with the fact I very rarely feel the want for food. It's often a case of remembering to eat. Drinking is the same, no alcohol for a year, which personally won't be too much of an issue for me but I know for some it would. No fizzy drinks again, ever. Haven't had crisps or chocolate since before the 3/6/2014

Protein is something that people like myself have difficulty in getting enough of through there normal diet so I have brought myself some Maximuscle high protein  pro max shake powder.

This might not be best suited to someone like myself,  not sure but it's a start. I haven't opened it yet as I want to only use it in line with using weights to try to build the muscle that is being shrunk by my body not taking in enough in its own plus build a bit on top too.

I have some dumb bells and a bar with weights that I can add/remove. Not sure if the weights I have at present but I'll come back with those.

What I'm hoping someone can help with is some kind of routine to at least start me of with building whatever muscle I can.

I obviously want to continue losing weight but only in fat, not muscle too.

I will no doubt end up with a certain amount of saggy skin, if I can fill as much of this as possible with muscle. Especially my arms legs and chest/shoulders I'll be happy.

So that's my goals and the areas I want to try to sort out.

I want to add running/jogging eventually to but that's still something that I'd struggle with so I want to build up to that.

I have brought a mountain bike too so I'll be trying to get out on that at times.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks for reading

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Good on you buddy, you're around the same weight now that I was when I started at my gym two years ago. Given your medical history definitely speak to your doc first and if you can find a decent PT with experience of your situation to help you with specifics. Once the ball starts rolling and the gym becomes a habit you'll start to feel odd when you don't go to the gym.

Good luck with everything.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:42:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks, it's still early days for me but it's all going in the right direction so far.

I did speak to someone at my last check up and they said that having protein shakes can help if I'm not taking enough in through diet alone. Which I doubt I am.

As for the exercise, there is no medical reason I can't do anything. I'm only limited by my lack of knowledge about what's best and my lack of ability at present. Ie: sit up, might be able to do a few, or press ups, maybe one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Just start slowly.
No need to try and do sit-ups/press-ups, and to be honest doing one or 2 will do nothing at all for losing weight or gaining muscle.
You would be best going for a walk for at least a half hour each evening as you will burn around 300 calories or so.

As for gaining muscle, don't even think about it yet until you have lost your weight.
To gain muscle you have to feed your body with lots of foods so it can use it to repair your muscle as you build it. This usually leads to increase in body fat too. It is very tricky to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, so best not really worrying yourself about it and giving yourself more to think about.

You are heading in the right direction and this is to be commended, so well done so far.
Don't forget to take photos so you can see before and after shots of yourself. When you look at yourself all the time its not easy to see results as they are minor week in week out, but a month down the line you will have changed quite a bit and the only way to see this is either through clothes fitting looser and photos. I wish I took more before I lost my weight.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:42:34 Mobile | Show all posts
I completely understand where your coming from, although I'll never be able to eat loads of food again. As mentioned above my stomach is only as big as an egg now so I can fit very little inside it without being or at least feeling sick.

For the time being I would be happy to just maintain the muscle I do have as my job is reasonably physical so there is some under there!

Most of what I eat doesn't get absorbed like it used to as it doesn't spend as long getting broken down in my stomach, so I have to have a multivitamin every day for the rest of my life now.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:35 Mobile | Show all posts
The trick is, for now, to be consistent and do some sort of exercise 4-5 a week.  A brisk walk is good enough as long as you vary the conditions such as hills, off road etc.

Find a Personal Trainer who has the GP and Exercise referral qualifications as they will have additional knowledge and skills to help you.

You have done the difficult bit in starting, now carry on.

PS

Have a good read through my common gym mistakes thread too.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:42:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Right well I've now got a bar and dumb bell set.

(I've had them years if I'm honest, just another waste if my time and money trying and failing at weight loss and muscle building)

Anyway, the food side of things is going well and the weights still coming off. I used my dumb bells yesterday and my arms still hurt now, well actually it's only one arm. Hurts when I put it out straight.

Anyways, can someone point me towards exceed uses I can do with these, I don't have a bench.

I'm going to start to walk and hopefully get out on my bike, but all I've really done weight wise is bicep curls and lifting them from by my side up till my arms were straight across. If that makes sense.

I'm looking for inspiration as to what I can do?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:37 Mobile | Show all posts
You don't need a bench at all.
I would recommend you look on YouTube as there are plenty of exercise ideas with weights.
One of my favourite is scooby1961. This is a guy in his 50's who is massive and gives great advice. He never uses a bench.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:42:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Ok thanks, I'll take a look.

Always a bit apprehensive with some YouTube stuff like that as I don't know if there talking tosh or not, at least with a recommendation there's a good chance if getting somewhere.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:38 Mobile | Show all posts
as above, very well done on your progress, the hardest part is starting! i agree with what wardy and charits say about finding a personal trainer though. The only reason i say that is because if you are unsure, then its probably not best to use youtube as you may pick up bad habits.

I would say to use your bar and learn the basics such as squat,dead lift and maybe clean and press. But learn them with good technique which is difficult to do on your own, hence a personal trainer.  Those 3 exercises can be made as hard as you like just by upping the tempo so no extra money needs to be spent on weights just yet!

keep us updated and keep going!

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部