View: 752|Reply: 20

Mystery running injury

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:56 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Sorry, but couldn't think of a better title.

Never thought I would be posting in this forum, but first time for everything!

I was terribly overweight, drank heavily and eat too much of the wrong things. So, kick start a health drive four weeks ago.

I tried jogging some time ago and did it in 'fashion' trainers. I injured my ankles quite badly. Didn't break anything, but they ached for weeks. So, now I have 'proper' running shoes and it is a lot better.

I have lost two stones already, so it is working, but I have picked up a slight injury.

I just wondered if anyone had any idea what I could have done. It is a pain/ache just under my lower knee. It isn't the shin bone. It appears to be connected to the knobbly bit on your inner lower knee. I would say more like a twisting injury if that makes any sense.

I've been on ibuprofen. When I'm exercising it isn't really a problem, but it tends to ache when I'm resting. I've kind of lived with it and it isn't getting any worse. But it isn't really going.

Any thoughts?

I should say, I'm not looking for medical advice as I will just leave it and monitor it. But if it is a recognised complaint, it would help my expectations of healing times.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi mate, good to see you in here.
I've just recovered from a slight ankle sprain but it still took about 3 weeks of no running. That's what I'd recommend for you, but you can replace it with swimming..? Maybe try cycling?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:42:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks shodan. I feel like a pork pie... (the saying, not the food )

But I do hope to feel more at home here as I get more in to it.

I did my 1.7 mile jog/walk this morning and have done a cardio workout class already. Then I've another one tonight! I forgot about the one this morning or I would not have bothered with the run!

Oddly, the leg feels fine now. So I'm still mystified by it. I just hoped someone would recognise the complaint and put a name to it. But it may just be one of those aches and pains we all get over the years.

I'm glad it isn't serious as it would be a real setback. I had pains in both calf muscles early on in the cardio classes (one just walking to the class!). But I guess I'm hardening up to exercise a little now.

I was 18.5 stone (I'm 5' 10"), so well into obese territory. Now I'm 16.5 stone and need to shed another 1.5 stone to be just overweight. It feels amazing to finally be going the other way. Definitely don't want to be going back there.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a similar pain thing going on behind my left knee, feels like it needs cracking if that makes sense, my knees often crack without even trying to do it, it does alleviate it a bit but it seems to always be there, it dosent affect my running though, as in I cant feel much just like it needs cracking.

Are you doing stretches after your runs?

If it is affecting you though as said, take brufen and see the doc, you don't want to aggravate it if it is bad or it will last even longer.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:42:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Ouch, that sounds annoying. I must say, I don't have any cracking, thank goodness or it would drive me insane!

Yes, I am stretching and doing a walk beforehand.

To be honest, it is barely noticeable now, so hopefully it is on the mend. Or frightened into submission by posting on here

Always find it a bit of a fruitless journey going to the quacks as they never seem to know the answers these days. Fine if you actually have an injury, but for anything else, it just tends to be rest it and see how it goes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Congratulations on the weight loss so far. Running injuries are very easy to pick up, even for the experienced. However, unless the pain has persisted for a few weeks, don't worry about it just yet. Rest, take it easy and see if your body just needs to adapt.

Personally, I would introduce cycling as you can burn calories whilst not subjecting your musculoskeletal system to a beating.

Regarding GP's - they are just that, generalists. If running becomes your passion try to seek out some recommended sports massage/therapists in your area. Despite the cost, they can give invaluable advice and often sort issues out in a single session.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:42:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Much appreciated scatterbug. A relationship breakdown is the catalyst, but it is certainly making me feel good about myself.

There is no cash for a bike or therapists, but if things change, I'll certainly give it some thought. I live in a city, so cycling is not such a great thing to do. But I'm probably making excuses for it

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:42:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, I've followed your posts in the other thread. Exercise is a great emotional balm. I only suggest a sports therapist for further down the line and if you fall for running in a big way (which many do).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Believe it or not, it sounds like Runner's knee!
Look it up on google.
I suffered from it and shin splints, so I had to give up running.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:43:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks. I'm not too sure though. It's rather short of the knee. But it does say 'around', so I can't rule it out.

Every bone in my body aches at the moment, so it is lost in the melee

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部