View: 430|Reply: 6

The right diet for me?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:14 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
For the short version skit to SHORT! (I tend to waffle)

Hoping some more knowledgeable than myself can fill in some gaps and help me in the right direction and some good little tips.

I did over time get overweight a few years ago, then took drastic dieting action; skipping breakfast (I tend not to get hungry early and am always rushing in the morning, love hitting the snooze button), eating nothing but those bags of ready cut veg microwaved to steam in their own liquids  (nothing but a bit of seasoning on them) mostly broccoli and carrot liquids for lunch and usually a salad or healthy tuna based curry just on its own in the evening.

Well it worked, lost 6 stone from my heaviest to lightest down to about 80kg (I'm about 6ft decedentish build). I know it isn't the kind of diet a nutritionist would suggest but from a physiological point of view for me to keep it up I needed to be extreme. It was also a reeducation in moderation and and realignment of what was a normal portion etc. I tried to then eat normally and settled at about 83-85kg and was happy with that,  I feel and look good at that weight.

I haven;t been so good  in the last year or so and am back at about 94kg (already lost some after putting on loads eating nothing but meat and beer in Brazil over Xmas!)

SHORT!

So while I try and be nutritious and healthy generally I am due to get married and want to lose weight, and relativity fast (I know that's not the best way) - at least 6kg by late August.

So, I currently eat a medium sized bowl of porridge for breakfast (made with water and a pinch of salt) and a small glass of kefir (cultured milk) around 10am (on work's time!), my lunch is a kind of salad I make up of either a small amount of lentils / quinoia / dark rice (about a third a pack of those pouch you can buy read made, a hand full of chickpeas, chopped up pickled beetroot, half an avocado, small apple and some days on of the smaller tins of tuna in spring water. Dinner is home made veg soup, usually comes out green so I think that is a good sign, I heard the darker veg tend to be healthier.

Am I making any obvious mistakes? Porridge is known as being a healthy breakfast, assuming I don't add a load of sugar to it can I assume this is kicking my metabolism in to gear?

I get a bit confused on Carbs then of which sugars etc, are carbs ok so long as they don't sugar for weight loss? Also I know I'm getting good fat from the avocado, half a day should be ok not just for nutrition but weight loss?

I cycle to work (pushing it hard) about 15mins each way and often longer if I'm out for pleasure of meeting friends.

I also have been taking about four splirilina caps and a large glass of water before I leave the house.  I have been boozing quite a bit recently but will cut that out till the wedding with one or two nights till then.

I'm just a little worried when I read the nutrition on this chickpea tin for example the carbs and fat seems pretty low but the calories by comparison quite high so try not to go OTT with them (make one of those mini tins last two to three lunches). Am I being thick, I assumed calories were either stored as fat or sugar? I try to keep sugar down to a minimum (naughty booze), not entirely sure how many calories I intake but would imagine  it is under 1200 at the moment and try and eat fresh stuff where I can to and avoid the likes of "low fat" rubbish and yogurt coated cranberries which I know are far from a health food. I tend to keep avos in my diet as I know they have good fats which are very healty but perhaps with weight loss and not just overall health in mind for the next few weeks maybe I should cut them out and reintroduce later?

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Nutrition is one of those things where you get out what you put in, either go on a course to educate yourself and get the knowledge or have someone with  the knowledge to do so take charge. I've been working with http://meantraining.co.uk/ to drop some bodyfat and can highly recommend the service. So much so that once I'm clear of all my niggles MEAN will have control of my nutrition and training in the run up to my next strongman comps.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:43:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Lovely, thanks I'll take a look at them.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:16 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm 90KG and have been consistently for the past 12 months,

my calories intake is 3500 but I am strict on my macros and I train every day. I would guess I have a body fat of under 10.

If you haven't already downloaded it, I can recommend fitnesspal app.
it really gives you an insight into what you are eating and the nutritional values.

Also if you want to drop body fat fast.. what I normally do.
Drop my carbs by half, up my protein and greens and do a few weeks of HIIT supersizes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:17 Mobile | Show all posts
That's great going mate and I agree myfitnesspal is essential, especially when starting out.

Bit of a weird request but would you mind posting a pic? I'm currently 75 kg, 6'0 but reckon about 15% and my goal is around your weight/% No worries if not.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:19 Mobile | Show all posts
from looking at your current diet i would say, what i imagine a lot of up to date nutritionists would also say, is that you're seriously lacking in protein. Protein is key in both muscle building as well as to prevent muscle breaking down, as well as being the key to high satiety (keeps you fuller for longer, hence why porridge is always a good choice for breakfast!)

i would also say your calories may be too low, but that depends on variables, such as how active you are during the day. However, I would have thought (I'm not expert, just take a keen interest in nutrition) that if you're 90 odd kg's at 6ft you need more than that.

is your cycle to work your main exercise for the week? this can tie in with your carbs questions. carbs are basically needed to fuel the body. Therefore, you will need an element of carbs in your diet as a basic need anyway, plus to fuel your cycle rides.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Oats aren't particularly high in protein, most cereals have a similar amount.  e.g. at 11gprotein/100g that's less than Weetabix (at 12g).

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部