View: 538|Reply: 10

Cycling GPS computer

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:42 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I've done a search using the app and noting relevant has come up.

I'm looking to buy a GPS computer as I currently rely on my phone to track and record my rides (road cycling). I guess Garmin are the obvious/most popular device to buy, but wondering if there's anything else out there worth considering?

Looking for something with a reliable GPS system and has the 'usual' features i.e speed, distance, elevation. Not too fussed about HRM/cadence/power, but a compatible device would be handy with one eye on future needs. A luxury would be able to plot routes for rides.

Budget is £150-£180. Happy to buy second hand as well as new.

Cheers

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Garmin are some of the best and Aldi did the 200 recently for well under £100 which would have been perfect for you. Most of the popular bike computer manufacturers like cateye etc. will do a GPS version as well so plenty of options if you look in Wiggle etc.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:45 Mobile | Show all posts
I use an older Garmin 500 but is still available and well within budget. An excellent, smallish unit that covers all your data requirements (does HR/cadence/power if you have the receivers). GPS is reliable but it can take a minute or so to do the initial lock-on in my area.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:43:45 Mobile | Show all posts
just a shout out for the Microsoft Band.   I'm loving mine so far (3 months in).     GPS for tracking runs and bike rides.....and they've integrated with Strava now too if you use that Bike/run site.   Custom screen so you can show three bits of data on at the same time - with one large (can toggle between them all as 'primary' too - so pace/distance/time etc.     On-board heart rate monitor too.     I use the workout tile too.....  and the sleep analysis is all very nifty too.    I dont work for MS (!)....but I'd definitely miss it if I didn't have use of one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:46 Mobile | Show all posts
Not waterproof (which you definitely need for cycling) and not sure how that would mount on handlebars. Even on the wrist it looks very clunky.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:43:48 Mobile | Show all posts
I would say you dont have to worry about rain etc.  It is rated IP67.    Microsoft are underplaying its rating (technically immersed in 1m).     but yeah....would need to be worn on inside of wrist (not mounted

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:49 Mobile | Show all posts
Going slightly off topic: the MS Band does look an interesting device and you seem to get a lot for your money. So you wear it with the display on the inside of your wrist?

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:43:50 Mobile | Show all posts
It is designed to wear on either side of the wrist - but in general it is easier to read the text written length-ways if you wear on inside.  More natural turn of the arm/wrist   Plus it looks a lot better on inside as,  like you say, tad clunky.   I do joke about it being a futuristic prisoner tag!

I was well-aware it feels like a "first version" of the band....but I love it.    It's nowhere near as awkward to wear as you'd think.   I don't notice it now - day or night.

It is built around little apps in a Windows Surface stylee.     You have a large pool of tiles avail then pick I think about 13 to go on the band. With the phone app you    These are things like  RUN, EXERCISE, SLEEP, WEATHER, TEXTS, EMAIL, FACEBOOK, WEATHER, FINANCE, BIKE.   and so on.          I use at the gym where afterwards you get a plot of time and pulse as well as calories burned (based on pulse, age, height, weight).       I do a lot of running - and recently used at a half marathon.    It got drenched that day and was totally fine.    Microsoft dashboard pulls together all the date from runs, sleep etc etc.   All done v nicely.    It also pairs with a few partner apps....various fitness, running, biking things that you might already use.

It integrates with iOS, Android or Windows.... the only difference being there is slightly more functionality with Windows and Cortana.   you can speak to your wrist to do a Cortana search and set reminders etc - which I don't have.

The email and text previews are really good (gives you a few lines - which is often enough).    I knock the phone on silent and then just read the email and text previews as they come through on the band.   The alert happens with a vibrate on wrist (no sounds) which you can set the strength of.   Likewise when you get and incoming call....... it is a quick glance of wrist to decide whether to find phone (just left in house in bluetooth range).

Need any more info or real-life experiences with it - give me a shout !

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:43:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Cheers for all the replies.

I've hopefully managed to get myself a Garmin 510 Edge for £160

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:43:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Good choice. Should lock-on to satellite quicker than my 500 due to GLONASS. Is £160 second hand?

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部