Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 756|Reply: 8

Malfunctioning/failed LCD on my Exercise Bike, circa 1998.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:50:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Malfunctioning/failed LCD on my Exercise Bike, circa 1998.

Can anyone help me to get it working?

The LCD/Screen, (I assume that is the correct designation for the screen display) see later? The screen, as shown in the pictures, is very feint and most of the digits/symbols do not fully form.

The manufacturer no longer supports the console and can’t help.

I can’t see/find a Flex ribbon or any connector going to the LCD/screen? So how is the LCD/screen connected to the Motherboard?

When I look along the face of the motherboard, I can’t see any linkage from the underside of the LCD to the motherboard. The LCD appears to be supported off the motherboard by 2 rubber strips, which are bonded to the LCD and motherboard. Any help here would be appreciated, as I have held off trying to remove the LCD/Screen in case I completely destroy it.

The LCD glass on the screen has a diagonal size of 9.8cm. I have looked at trying to buy a new LCD screen but I don’t understand what I should be specifying? The power source is 4 AA batteries.

Any suggestions or advice please?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:50:08 Mobile | Show all posts
As you have probably guessed, those 2 rubber strips are the contacts to the display, so do not disturb them, as it is very difficult to get the screen to ever work properly again.

It looks like the voltage is too low, so I assume you have tried a brand new set of batteries and checked that the contacts are clean?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:50:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for responding.
Yes I have tried new batteries. I checked on my volt meter to make sure they were fully charged.
I assume you mean make sure the battery contacts are clean?
I have a spare identical Console where the LCD forms perfectly but the link from the button controls on the front of the console panel have no effect. These link to the motherboard via a flex ribbon. I can't access the push buttons as they are embedded in the panel. I feel that the circuits from the push buttons to the motherboard has failed?
Could it be that the contacts from the LCD to the motherboard have misaligned?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:50:10 Mobile | Show all posts
The LCD is stuck to the strip and the pitch (distance between) the contacts is very small - 0.1" or something.

I really do doubt you would be able to re-locate this with enough precision and you end up with 2 broken modules!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:50:11 Mobile | Show all posts
They both don't work anyway.
Hay Ho it seems I can't fix them.
I found this link:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-a-Malfunctioning-LCD/
As the buttons from the front panel are not working on the console with the good/perfect LCD console. I wondered if I used this technique on the contacts going from the buttons on the front panel into the contact connector on the motherboard, I may be able to get it working?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:50:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Hmm...
That's similar, but it's an indirect connection, while yours is glued directly to the panel.

Maybe a hair drier and push and jiggle gently? You could push down a little as well.

Best of luck

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:50:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Not sure I have conveyed accurately to you what I was meaning.
I have 2 identical Consoles. On 1 the LCD is fine and has a full perfect LCD display. But when the buttons on the front of the console are pressed, none of them function. When I peddle the bike it doesn't show anything. The heart rate indicator on the console, does not register from my chest worn transmitter. I believe that all the links from these sources go to or from the motherboard via a flex ribbon which has 7 conductors. These push into a connector on the motherboard. It was those that I thought I would try heating up the adhesive which is conductive and pressing them as they cool in the hope that the individual circuits would be re-established. In another article it was suggested that a small soldering iron, at low temperature would be more controlled and specific.

What I think you are suggesting for the other console, which has the poor display, I May be lucky if I gently apply heat from an hair dryer to the area of the LCD around the bonding to the mother board and the LCD screen I may be able to very gently move it very very slightly and re-establish a good display? Could I do this powered up with the batteries in place?
Is that correct?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:50:13 Mobile | Show all posts
OK, I think I understand.

Can you not disconnect the ribbon connector and replace with the good touch panel? It looks like a plug in type, but just be gentle in case not!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:50:14 Mobile | Show all posts
The Flex ribbon connector links directly to the various push buttons on the front of the console (they are not touch technology, they click like a miniature micro switch) . I have tried that but as both of the front panels push buttons don't work it didn't help. But one of the front panels does show what speed I am cycling at, the time/period I have been exercising and shows the heart rate. Currently that is the front panel I have connected to the LCD motherboard which is not formatting the characters. on the other it doesn't do anything. So I am still hoping that gently heating the LCD display on the motherboard and giving it a very very small wiggle may get it to work. I am holding out to see if any other suggestions come forth before I try!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部