Author: Luke Albiges

The Top 10 Best Games of 2018 (Q1) & Comments

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:40:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Apologies to hijack this thread somewhat, but I have a question about 'Fallout 4'.
This game I acquired as part of a recent XBOXOne-X bundle. I haven't actually played any of the previous three nor have I opened it up yet (Still sealed). So my question is.. Do you need to have played the previous 3 to get what's going on? Or can you just jump straight into '4' and enjoy without knowing any prior potential back stories?

Will this game require consuming a lot of my time given I am currently regularly playing FIFA 18 for 1-2 hours every other night & occasionally breaking that up with a bit of ROTTR..??

Thanks
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:40:41 Mobile | Show all posts
Its not important to play the previous games - you start off with creating your own character and its set in a different region too. The only benefits is that you will have more of an understanding of the lore and the situation by playing other Fallout games but its not like some games that 4 follows on from 3 which continued on from 2.

These games are full open world RPG games - like Skyrim for example with a different setting. Like other big RPG games, these can be very time consuming and take 'hundreds' of hours and unlike games like Fifa where you get pretty instant feelings of accomplishment - like beating a level, winning a match etc, these can feel very slow if you only have an hour - barely get started, not open up much of the map (if any).

Use magic Report

i felt the exact opposite i found fallout 4 a repetative bore fest

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I do agree in part. For me, Fallout 4 seemed very much like Fallout 3 with some clunky base-building bolted on. Granted its a bit more colourful and slightly better looking but not as good as other games this gen. It also released months after the Witcher 3 which made it feel more dated.

Its a game that doesn't provide the more instant gratification of linear story games like God of War and a lot of it can be wandering around almost aimlessly looking to stumble upon something of interest. It can also be quite tense and overwhelming at times too. With so much to do, so much freedom, its story can get lost. That being said though, its such a massive game with so many different quests, storylines etc that it can take 100's of hours to see everything the game offers - even then, you may need multiple play throughs to literally see everything, see how different situations can play out etc.

God of War is much more focused but you can 'platinum' the game in 50hrs or so and have seen basically everything the game has to offer. Not saying that is bad and Fallout is good because of that - God of War is a fantastic game and also a significant step up for the franchise in a lot of ways, where as Fallout 4 felt more of the same. You wouldn't compare say Witcher 3 to Uncharted 4 as both are different genres, offer something very different to gamers etc. This is similar so its more down to what the gamer prefers - if you have a preference. Whether you want that more focused and structured format (ok so GoW does give a 'bit' freedom in some areas) or whether you want much more 'freedom' and choice.

Personally, I think GoW is the 'better' game and one of the best games in its genre where as Fallout 4 is 'good' but there are better games in the genre and games that pushed the genre much further. As I alluded to above, God of War isn't as linear as Uncharted and offers more choice and 'character' builds - almost given it an 'open world' action RPG feel and still retaining that focused story that we have come to associate more with linear gaming. I know the recent Tomb Raider reboot also offers something similar too of course.

Use magic Report

I liked fallout 3 and new vegas but i didnt like fallout 4 much. the repetitive nature of it  constantly re spawning enemy's, endless settlement attacks really got to be a chore.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部