View: 794|Reply: 20

Tomb raider 1 (Playstation 1) : Appreciation thread

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:43:02 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Deemed one of the greatest games of all time Playstation 1 (1996)

Game music remix [PLAYMP3]http://ocrmirror.org/files/music/remixes/Tomb_Raider_AdventureisintheAir_OC_ReMix.mp3[/PLAYMP3]

Wikipedia game info Click here

Tomb raider 1 wiki (Click on individual contents to view) Click Here

*Note*
If you owned and played this game on another format feel free to post within
this thread regardless, alternate formats won't be getting a separate thread as
that would be overkill, just mention the format you played it on when posting.

Complete list of all the already posted or upcoming
Classic retro game Appreciation threads is available Here

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 22:43:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Post all your recollections and classic gaming moments of this awesome game here, it was and still is one of the best games ever made, relive those memories within this thread.

Anyone wishing to submit a review for this game please do so, i'd be glad to link to it at some future stage, everyone else post those stories of gaming heaven Tomb raider 1 related of course.

Ideas for posting could include :-

How much you paid for the game?
Did you pay over the odds for an import release to get it early?
Was it worth the money?
Did you do a midnight game collection on day of release?
Did this title influence your decision to buy it's associated system?
How has it stood up to the test of time?

Alongside the usual game play and game content discussion, which is always welcome, the possibilities are endless.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:43:04 Mobile | Show all posts
What about the saturn version why is it excluded? Seems a shame to exclude the original version in this retro thread. I realise the playstation version would be a lot more popular due to the greater number of playstation consoles sold but it seems strange to exclude the version first released.

That said I seem to remember the ps1 version was a bit better, slightly improved visuals. Also I've a feeling that the ps1 and saturn were developed concurrently but the saturn version was released first because if my memory serves me right there was a pirate version of tomb raider available for a long time before the official ps1 version was released.

I've always meant to go back and complete tomb raider but never finished it. I'm not a fan of the third person perspective generally even though I adore Mario 64. I prefer first person perspective.

Just wondering has there ever been a first person perspective tomb raider game? The only thing that springs to mind is turok which had a lot of jumping from stone to stone I can't think of much else.

Bit of a missed opportunity by developers if there hasn't been.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 22:43:05 Mobile | Show all posts
It isn't/hasn't been excluded, i went through the old voting threads for individual systems and took the top 10 from each then knocked together the linking list below, the games on it will have their own thread sometime in the future (whenever i get around to adding them), note the saturn version appears in the saturn list (which i haven't got around to yet) but the one within this thread is the more popular playstation version from the playstation list.

Here's the linking thread, upcoming as yet unposted threads are shown in red.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/retro-gaming/1298191-classic-retro-games-appreciation-threads-linking-list-no-posting-please.html

Taking note of the above i think it's a bit pointless to include the same game twice for two separate formats when no one is likely to post in the thread, so may have to move saturn pos 11 up a notch and exclude this from the saturn list.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:43:06 Mobile | Show all posts
How about the PC version too? I got my first 3d graphic card when this came out...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 22:43:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Feel free to rattle about the pc version in this thread if you want (as it wont be getting a thread of it's own) and it's more discussion of the game rather than format, obviously everything aside from improved gfx was pretty much the same anyway.

Like i said before these threads are taken from the top 10 as voted for by avf members per format and hence that's why it states in this particular case playstation, there was never a 'top 10 pc games' however there was a top any format games thread and maybe i'll be nicking the top placed pc titles from that at a later date.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:43:09 Mobile | Show all posts
...then I will begin.....

For me this was a different class of game - Quake had arrived with its free look deign, but this was a third person platformer with free look and just looked very nice indeed.

What made it a world apart for lucky PC owners was the advent of the 3d card, and in my case, Christmas of 96 bought me a Voodoo 3dfx card, with an amazing 4Mb of RAM. This lifted the graphics to a new level, and made an already visually pleasing game that much better.

The short video clips of walking to the first doors on that snowy mountain let you know what you were in for, and from the wolves and bats that came at you from all directions. The clever jumps and tricks that you could put Lara through - and I am sure I was not alone in making her do handstands while free camming round her 3d form were just fantastic, and the levels all seemed logical and well planned.

Oh, and when the T-Rex comes.........the screen shakes and you back flip and shoot and shoot until it or you lie dead.

Just brilliant.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:43:09 Mobile | Show all posts
1, had the saturn version and never finished it

if i remember rightly the only discernable difference was i couldn't climb up on to a ledge with a handstand while the playstation and pc owners could, not that i really cared about climbing up on to a ledge doing a handstand

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:43:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Playstation version for me!!!

got the demo on the offical mag, played through that and thought gotta get the full game! so popped on the bus, went to dixons and handed over £44.99.... went home and that was me...

just a brilliant game, well paced and the graphics were amazing, and it wasn't bomarded with crappy music, the silence for the most part just helped with the atmosphere of the game.

stil lhave it now, but rebought it on the Wii, but sadly they just didn't update the graphic and tighten the controll, they change the whole game play...

so original is still the best!! imo

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 22:43:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Playstation version for me too, i too played the demo on the mag and went out and purchased it, fantastic game with loads of puzzles and a good game length, at the time there was nothing quite like it and this was really the first venture into 3d arcade adventuring.

The sequels went downhill form here for me, i enjoyed the second too but the third etc got less puzzles and more gun play, kinda stuffed them for me and ruined the game length too.

Imo st francis folly is still the benchmark by which all other game levels will be judged, what a level though, the graphics (playstation version) look really blocky now, but the remake tomb raider anniversary on 360 (aside from a few changes) was imo a great update of this with improved graphics and st francis folly is present and correct, i'd recommend fans of this first game try that.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部