Author: addyb

Addyb's raspberry pi retro game machine build

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:44:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Knocked up one of these last week, mainly for the more simple 16 bit games to play with my 3 year old son. Was playing Goof Troop over the weekend.

I've a pair of 8bitdo SNES controllers connected via Bluetooth and they're excellent!

I've also ordered some stickers to make my case look like a mini SNES, ‘Nintendo UK SNES Skin for Official Raspberry Pi Case [GET THE MEDIUM SIZE]’ Sticker by ChoccyHobNob
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:44:55 Mobile | Show all posts
That's a really good sticker pack. I was just looking at other cases from the official one (maybe one with a fan or something) but those stickers looks awesome so might get them instead  
Post a pick when you've put them on.
Have also been looking at the Attract Mode setup for Retropie as an alternative to Emulation Station - really like the videos of each game playing but they do look a bit busy

Once it's ready I'm planning to start my 2 1/2yr old on it - might take some time before he's interested though!

Use magic Report

Ta. For some reason I couldn't find that guide. Yeah that makes it look much easier. I'm not a fan of youtube guides and would rather a list like this.

If anyone's got any doubts about the 8bitdo pad - don't! I really cant tell the difference from the original SNES pad. So much so that I'm worried I'm going to break it at some point (I think I broke two SNES pads back in the day - too much SF2 and Final Fight and Super Mario World!)

Use magic Report

Does anyone know much about that temperature icon?

I'm sure it wasn't there the first time I played about with it but I noticed it the second time playing Super Mario World for a bit and SF2.

Anything to worry about? I checked the mains adaptor (bought the one mentioned earlier with a switch) and its the right voltage for the Pi etc.

Also - Ive looked at the 8bitdo manual (such as it is!) and I cant understand it at all. How do I upgrade the firmware for the pad? (sorry yet again )

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
@Jim Di Griz download the firmware from here, SNES30 GamePad Firmware Download- 8Bitdo Tech HK Ltd.
There is an app in the download that guides you through it.

The 8bitdo pads ain't cheap but they are excellent. I think I want another 2 for 4 player fun... but that would be £100 of gamepads

@Lancia34 will defo post some picks. Its the mini NES that got me into this and was keen on finding a mini-SNES like case for the Pi. The stickers look like a neat and cheap solution. Though Redbubble could turn them around a bit faster. Mine should be here any day now.

Here is a fuller list of all available stickers, Skins for the Official Raspberry Pi Case by ChoccyHobNob

Oh, and on the arcade stick subject, though I've not tried 'em with the Pi yet, here are my home made efforts, Question - Recommend a Fightstick

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:44:56 Mobile | Show all posts
There's an option to install a web admin in retropie under experimental packages. Looks really good and gives you system and temperature readouts as well as drag and drop for roms.

Can't remember the name but will try and find it, retro pie web console or something.

Not sure I've actually played mine long enough yet for it to warm up!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'm surprised there isn't a retro gaming forum or at least a proper retropie thread.

Maybe we should start a new thread or two with help and advice and ideas.

Happy to keep using this one though.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Stickers arrived and I'm not impressed. They come with a 5mm white border which makes them too big for the Pi case. So I trimmed this with scissors which made them slightly smaller than the Pi case. I'm sure I've seen vinyl sticker sets for games consoles and such like look and fit much better than this.

That said, its not terrible, and for less than 2 quid I'm feeling not too bad. They're staying on for now, at least until I come across a true mini PAL SNES case for the Pi. Though the front sticker covers the lights they are visible through the sticker when illuminated.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I was reading up on them today and saw that they come slightly too big which is a bit odd.
Don't look too bad though.

I've pretty much finished setting mine up, been playing with video settings and the different shaders which are pretty good.

After playing a few games I was getting the temperature icon so installed the web manager and it's sitting at 67 degrees which is pretty damn hot when idle.

Think I might have to get a new case with a fan I guess.

Use magic Report

Here we go again (sorry!). Where are the video settings?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部