12345Next
Back New
Author: Goldleader80

Goldleader's Gaming History

[Copy link]
 Author| 26-11-2019 22:51:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah I agree about games dating faster than films.  I find the 32/64bit era one of the worst for looking very dated, when you compare it to the 8/16bit or the generation after a lot of the games look very messy with bad polygon graphics and funny textures all over the place.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 22:51:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Goldeneye

​Now I only had my Playstation for about 6 months, I just didn't like any of the games on the console that were released in that time apart from Tekken 2 but other than that I had lost faith in console games and Nintendo's offering in the form of the N64 was a year away. So I sold my Playstation and with the money got my first PC. I enjoyed some games in that time like Quake but gaming on the PC has always been to much of a pain in the ass for me. I think I was just enjoying that time in my life as a 17/18 year old and learning to drive and going out and getting drunk with my mates, that took all my time and money. Then the N64 was released in early 97 and I wasn't that interested with it. That is until about 6 months after release of the console I went to my mates house and had a play on Goldeneye. I was hooked on gaming again. And on the strength of half an hours play went out and got myself and brand new N64 with Goldeneye. And how glad I was that I did. Goldeneye was and still is the best first person shooter on any console. Somehow Rare just got everything right with the game, I don't know what that is but I have played the game many times and completed it more than I can remember. But I keep going back to it, that's the magic of a great game. This was also the first time I had played a multi player first person shooter, this was another great reason to love the game. All console FPS are taken from what Goldeneye did, this is why that game is so important.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 22:51:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Super Mario 64

​Mario has always been at the forefront of games innovation but Super Mario 64 was not just an innovation it was a complete leap which showed the whole gaming industry how to do a 3D game. So much has been said about this game so I won't talk about that, I will talk more how I enjoyed it. I never owned this game, I borrowed it from a friend for about 2 or 3 weeks. I completed it in that time and got a lot of the Stars but not all, some of them are very hard. I think this says all that is needed about this game, I had it for 3 weeks and still class it as one of the best games I have ever played. I haven't played it since then but I know if I was to it would still be great even if a little N64 blocky. I don't think Nintendo has been able to do a better 3D version of Mario than this, although Mario Galaxy comes close I think this one sticks to more usual Mario level design than Mario Galaxy. However there is just something missing from 3D Mario games that doesn't make them as good as the 2D ones in my view.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:51:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Never been into FPS games nor Nintendo, really, but I have to agree that GoldenEye is the best of the lost in that field. While I had a Playstation, my sister got given a Nintendo and had Mission Impossible (crap) and GoldenEye. There is definitely something about it that sets it a part from other FPS, and like yourself, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it definitely deserves to be mentioned.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 22:51:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Never played Mission Impossible, might have a go on an emulator.  If you are not a Nintendo fan you might be bailing on me as my list of games from this point on is very Nintendo heavy, there are other consoles but am a total Nintendo fan boy am afraid!!!!!

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 22:51:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Banjo-Kazooie

​In many ways this game is very similar to Super Mario 64. In that you go around a centre world that leads to different levels that can be played many times with different objectives each time. Also you collect items that open up new levels and advance you through the game. The difference between this and Super Mario 64 is that this is another quality title from Rare. And been a Rare games has a great range of good characters and level design which I think adds to the games design set by Super Mario 64. They did the same thing with Donkey Kong Country taken the gameplay from Super Mario World. Rare also invest a great amount of British humour into their games which just give it that little bit extra. I'm not saying that this game is better than Super Mario 64, it's not but I think it's near the same level and the elements that Rare add to it make it a fun 3D platform game.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 22:51:31 Mobile | Show all posts
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

​Where to start with this one. Zelda has and always will be my fav game series. And the excitement centred around this game at the time was just massive. Critics loved it, and gamers loved it. The game (along with Super Mario 64) were and still are the blueprint for all 3D games and has had a major influence (not always for the better) on the games industry. As with all Zelda games you don't just switch it one and jump right into the action, the game reveals itself slowly over the course of the game to great effect. I have always loved how you pick up a new item and think to yourself oh I could use that in that other part of the game to open then hidden area, this is a vast linked world with so much to do you could spend hours just walking around without actually doing any of the dungeons. This for me is were the bad parts of the game start to come in. This was the real start of open world roaming games and myself can understand some people like this but lets be honest who has 100 hours to waste playing a game? I want a game with a beginning a middle and an end. Zelda still had this but it opened the door to vast roaming worlds that have become very popular today. I do love this game but it isn't my favourite Zelda game, that goes to A Link to the Past. Like Mario 64 there is something missing from the 3D Zelda games, and I'm not sure what it is? And if you play the game now it does look horrible but I think all N64 games have aged very badly. I sound like I'm been very negative to the game, I'm not meaning to be as a do love the game.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:51:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Lol, it's still good to reminisce. Even if it involves games that I didn't have or play. I had mates who were Nintendo heads so i'm still familiar with a lot of the games. Also, Gamemaster sorted me out.

Always wanted to Banjo Kazooie, looked like one of those immensely fun platformers that dominated the 90s.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:51:32 Mobile | Show all posts
What a great read, GL80!  Can't beat a bit of nostalgia.  Looking forward to the next instalment.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 22:51:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Marvel vs Capcom 2

​I took a bit of a break from gaming in around 1998 to 2000. I went to university during this time and didn't have any cash to spend on games, to busy drinking. And to be honest this period was a transition from PS1, N64 to the next generation of Dreamcast, PS2, XBOX and Gamecube. There wasn't anything I really wanted to play. But at the end of 2000 the Dreamcast had dropped in price a great deal and had some decent games that were now also very cheap so I picked up one with about 5 games for about £150 I think. As a massive Street Fighter and Marvel fan this game was a no brainier. In my last year at uni myself and my mate must have played this game nearly every night, unlocking all the characters and other things that I can't even remember. I do remember thinking it was great to have a 2D fighter game looking this good on a 3D gaming system. It was a fast and furious game also with so many characters to play as, it was impossible to master them all. But there is nothing as fun as having a line up of Ryu, Wolverine and Bishop to kick some ass!!!!

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部